* footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2010-10-05 12:48 Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-05 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Two quick questions regarding footnotes and Arabic:

1. How do I get a footnote rule/marker to go from right-to-left (i.e. to begin at the right margin instead of the left margin)?

2. I would like some of my footnote streams to run RtL for Arabic, and also for those footnotes to be in paragraph form (i.e. \setupnote[afootnote][paragraph=yes] ). But when I add this command, my footnote instead runs LtR, the letters get cut up (i.e. the Arabic script is not connected), and I lose my footnote marker to add insult to injury. How should I define a footnote stream to run RtL in paragraph form?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Talal

p.s. Below is my attempt thus far, with the problem of defining paragraph=yes, and with the problem of the footnote rule/marker. Reference to what I should change in this example would be most helpful:

==========================

%%%	SETUP AREA

%%	PAGE SETUP
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\setuplayout[grid=on]
\showgrid
\setupinterlinespace[line=3.8ex]
\setupindenting[yes,big]

%%	FONTS
\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setupsimplefonts[size=12pt]
\definefontfeature[default]  [default]  [mode=node,script=arabic]
\setmainfontfallback[Lotus Linotype]  [scale=1.33,features=arabic,range={arabic,arabicsupplement}]

%%	PARAGRAPH DIRECTION & SPACING - ARABIC - ENGLISH
\def\arabpar	{\textdir TRT\pardir TRT}
\automigrateinserts % to ensure that certain levels of footnotes show up (raw MKIV feature)

%%	FOOTNOTES
\setupfootnotedefinition[location=serried]

\definenote[afootnote][conversion=set 2]
\setupnote[afootnote][paragraph=yes]

%%%	TEXT
\starttext

\input knuth

\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
\arabpar{
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير
\afootnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
}
\stopbaselinecorrection

Thus, I came to the conclusion that the designer\footnote{Such as Knuth himself.} of a new system must not only be the implementer and first large--scale user; the designer should also write the first user manual.

The separation of any of these four components would have hurt TEX significantly.

\stoptext

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2010-10-05 13:28 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-05 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.10.2010 um 14:48 schrieb Talal Al-Azem:

> Dear all,
>
> Two quick questions regarding footnotes and Arabic:
>
> 1. How do I get a footnote rule/marker to go from right-to-left (i.e. to begin at the right margin instead of the left margin)?
>
> 2. I would like some of my footnote streams to run RtL for Arabic, and also for those footnotes to be in paragraph form (i.e. \setupnote[afootnote][paragraph=yes] ). But when I add this command, my footnote instead runs LtR, the letters get cut up (i.e. the Arabic script is not connected), and I lose my footnote marker to add insult to injury. How should I define a footnote stream to run RtL in paragraph form?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Kind regards,
> Talal
>
> p.s. Below is my attempt thus far, with the problem of defining paragraph=yes, and with the problem of the footnote rule/marker. Reference to what I should change in this example would be most helpful:
>
> ==========================
>
> %%%	SETUP AREA
>
> %%	PAGE SETUP
> \setuppapersize[A4][A4]
> \setuplayout[grid=on]
> \showgrid
> \setupinterlinespace[line=3.8ex]
> \setupindenting[yes,big]
>
> %%	FONTS
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setupsimplefonts[size=12pt]
> \definefontfeature[default]  [default]  [mode=node,script=arabic]

\definefontfeature[arabic][default][mode=node,script=arabic]

> \setmainfontfallback[Lotus Linotype]  [scale=1.33,features=arabic,range={arabic,arabicsupplement}]
>
> %%	PARAGRAPH DIRECTION & SPACING - ARABIC - ENGLISH
> \def\arabpar	{\textdir TRT\pardir TRT}
> \automigrateinserts % to ensure that certain levels of footnotes show up (raw MKIV feature)
>
> %%	FOOTNOTES
> \setupfootnotedefinition[location=serried]
>
> \definenote[afootnote][conversion=set 2]
> \setupnote[afootnote][paragraph=yes]

\definenote[afootnote][numberconversion=set 2,paragraph=yes,rule=right,align=r2l]
\setupnotedefinition[afootnote][location=serried,display=no]

> %%%	TEXT
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
> \arabpar{
> هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير
> \afootnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
> هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
> }
> \stopbaselinecorrection

\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]\arabpar
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير
\afootnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
\stopbaselinecorrection

To make this block simpler you can write your own environment for it:

\definestartstop
  [arabic]
  [before={\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]\arabpar},
   after=\stopbaselinecorrection]

\startarabic
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير
\afootnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
\stoparabic

Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2010-10-05 14:18   ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-05 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang. That makes that matter clearer. But how do I get those Arabic footnotes to be right aligned as well?

May I also ask: what is the purpose, at least in my example that I'm learning from, of:
\definefontfeature[arabic][default][mode=node,script=arabic] ?

I ask, because when I switched it from [default][default] to [arabic][default] as you suggested, the Arabic glyphs no longer connected, and the text actually spilled over into the footnote space. When I commented it out, the glyphs connected again.

Finally, so that I can start learning on my own without bothering you and everyone else on the list, where would I have systematically found a discussion of RtL feaures such as rule=right? Or are there any preexisting example files of complicated Arabic that I could study and learn from?

Kind regards,
Talal

p.s. Thanks for the \definestartstop environment. As you can see, I'm still learning the basics of ConTeXt. :-)

@ 2010-10-05 14:53     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-10-05 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 03:18:31PM +0100, Talal Al-Azem wrote:
> Thanks Wolfgang. That makes that matter clearer. But how do I get those Arabic footnotes to be right aligned as well?
>
> May I also ask: what is the purpose, at least in my example that I'm learning from, of:
> \definefontfeature[arabic][default][mode=node,script=arabic] ?

The first argument is the name of the new feature set, the second is an
optional feature set to be inherited. Actually, ConTeXt already has a
predefined "arabic" feature and you can just use it.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2010-10-05 15:07     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-05 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.10.2010 um 16:18 schrieb Talal Al-Azem:

> Thanks Wolfgang. That makes that matter clearer. But how do I get those Arabic footnotes to be right aligned as well?

\definenote[afootnote][numberconversion=set 2,paragraph=yes,rule=right,align={flushright,righttoleft}]

> May I also ask: what is the purpose, at least in my example that I'm learning from, of:
> \definefontfeature[arabic][default][mode=node,script=arabic] ?
>
> I ask, because when I switched it from [default][default] to [arabic][default] as you suggested, the Arabic glyphs no longer connected, and the text actually spilled over into the footnote space. When I commented it out, the glyphs connected again.

With my setting you create a new font feature ”arabic” which inherits the setting from the ”default” features with the extra settings “mode=node” and ”script=arabic” while your settings extends the ”default” features with these values. I did this because you use the ”arabic” font feature in the \definemainfontfallback setup but i forgot that context already has a “arabic” feature which enables a lot of font options which you need.

> Finally, so that I can start learning on my own without bothering you and everyone else on the list, where would I have systematically found a discussion of RtL feaures such as rule=right?

Maybe in the list archive but often such things are discussed offline, i found it myself in the source.

> Or are there any preexisting example files of complicated Arabic that I could study and learn from?

I guess the wiki page you already know is currently the only source.

Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2010-10-05 15:18       ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-05 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang, thank you once again. One last problem, if I may.

>> Thanks Wolfgang. That makes that matter clearer. But how do I get those Arabic footnotes to be right aligned as well?
>
> \definenote[afootnote][numberconversion=set 2,paragraph=yes,rule=right,align={flushright,righttoleft}]

After replacing your "rightoleft" above with your earlier r2l (the former didn't work, the latter did), this indeed did cause the footnote block to move to the right margin. However, the note 1 is still on the far left, note 2 in the middle, and note 3 on the far right, instead of the other way around (note 1 on far right, note 2 in middle, note 3 on the far left), which is the logical ordering since we are reading right to left. (See attached pdf example, compare the order of the footnotes in the paragraph to the order *from right-to-left* in the footnote area.)

[-- Attachment #2: testminimal.pdf --]

>> May I also ask: what is the purpose, at least in my example that I'm learning from, of:
>> \definefontfeature[arabic][default][mode=node,script=arabic] ?
>>
>> I ask, because when I switched it from [default][default] to [arabic][default] as you suggested, the Arabic glyphs no longer connected, and the text actually spilled over into the footnote space. When I commented it out, the glyphs connected again.
>
> With my setting you create a new font feature ”arabic” which inherits the setting from the ”default” features with the extra settings “mode=node” and ”script=arabic” while your settings extends the ”default” features with these values. I did this because you use the ”arabic” font feature in the \definemainfontfallback setup but i forgot that context already has a “arabic” feature which enables a lot of font options which you need.

So, in light of what you and Khaled have mentioned, I suppose I can remove that line, and simply use:
\setmainfontfallback[Lotus Linotype][scale=1.33,features=arabic,range={arabic,arabicpresentationformsa,arabicpresentationformsb,arabicsupplement}]

>> Finally, so that I can start learning on my own without bothering you and everyone else on the list, where would I have systematically found a discussion of RtL feaures such as rule=right?
>
> Maybe in the list archive but often such things are discussed offline, i found it myself in the source.

Scouring the source is rather intimidating at this stage. I guess that at least partially justifies my sending questions on here, since I haven't seen r2l mentioned anywhere else at all. ;-)

>> Or are there any preexisting example files of complicated Arabic that I could study and learn from?
> I guess the wiki page you already know is currently the only source.

Yes, I'm looking for more real-world, detailed examples, to study and mould my own document off of. In any case, once I'm more self-confident, maybe I can do my bit and add some of this info onto the wiki.

Thank you for all of your time and help.

Kind regards,
Talal

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2010-10-05 15:25       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-05 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-10-2010 5:07, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> Finally, so that I can start learning on my own without bothering you and everyone else on the list, where would I have systematically found a discussion of RtL feaures such as rule=right?
>
> Maybe in the list archive but often such things are discussed offline, i found it myself in the source.
>
>> Or are there any preexisting example files of complicated Arabic that I could study and learn from?
>
> I guess the wiki page you already know is currently the only source.

just a remark in addition to WS:

all bidi related code is under construction, that is, we're trying to
figure out a decent (useable) model for complex mixed direction documents

we implement this stepwise looking at each structure element and decide
what is needed, so best is just to notice what needs to be done and
discuss it

apart from lefttoright/righttoleft we also need to deal with consistent
positioning

as we need to make manuals in due time we started with verbatim (there
will be several bidi models available; maybe Idris can send you the
draft on bidi)

anyhow, here's some more: in addition to align options we also will have
locations reflecting the direction:

\definefont[MyMono][file:dejavusansmono sa 1]

\setuptyping             [style=\MyMono,numbering=line,start=1,step=1]
\definetyping [RLtyping] [align=r2l]
\definetyping [LRtyping] [align=l2r]

\starttext

\startbuffer[sample]
\startLRtyping
At the left!
أهلا
\stopLRtyping

\startRLtyping
At the right!
أهلا
\stopRLtyping

\startalignment[l2r]
\starttyping
At the left!
أهلا
\stoptyping
\stopalignment

\startalignment[r2l]
\starttyping
At the right!
أهلا
\stoptyping
\stopalignment
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=left]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[settings] \getbuffer[settings,sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=right]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[settings] \getbuffer[settings,sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=begin]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[settings] \getbuffer[settings,sample] \page

\startbuffer[settings]
\setuplinenumbering[typing][location=end]
\stopbuffer

\typebuffer[settings] \getbuffer[settings,sample] \page

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-10-05 15:55         ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, running your example through (what I think is) the latest beta, does not produce any Arabic in the PDF, if that was intended. I've attached the PDF.

Kind regards,
Talal

[-- Attachment #2: hansarabic.pdf --]

@ 2010-10-05 16:20           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-10-2010 5:55, Talal Al-Azem wrote:
> Hans, running your example through (what I think is) the latest beta, does not produce any Arabic in the PDF, if that was intended. I've attached the PDF.

do you have the font used (dejavu)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-10-05 21:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-05 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-10-2010 3:28, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> >
>> >  Two quick questions regarding footnotes and Arabic:
>> >
>> >  1. How do I get a footnote rule/marker to go from right-to-left (i.e. to begin at the right margin instead of the left margin)?
>> >
>> >  2. I would like some of my footnote streams to run RtL for Arabic, and also for those footnotes to be in paragraph form (i.e. \setupnote[afootnote][paragraph=yes] ). But when I add this command, my footnote instead runs LtR, the letters get cut up (i.e. the Arabic script is not connected), and I lose my footnote marker to add insult to injury. How should I define a footnote stream to run RtL in paragraph form?

\starttext

\showframe

\definenote[afootnote][numberconversion=set
2,paragraph=yes,rule=right,align=r2l]
\setupdescriptions[afootnote][display=no,location=serried,distance=.5em]

\startalignment[l2r]
test \footnote{\input ward }
test \afootnote{\input ward }
\input tufte
\stopalignment

\startalignment[r2l]
test \footnote{\input ward \par}
test \afootnote{\input ward \par }
\input tufte
\stopalignment

\stoptext

I have no clue what you want/need/.

Keep in mind that paragraph footnotes are quite tricky (at least
currently, maybe I can cook up a more robust solution using lua).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-10-05 21:50     ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-05 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

> I have no clue what you want/need/.

Take a look at the files attached. In the text:

1. The first afootnote is: 		* Hickory dickory dock.
2. The second afootnote is: 	† The mouse ran up the clock.
3. The third afootnote is: 		‡ The clock struck one the mouse fell down.

Now, in the apparatus: the order should be the same, but from right to left. So, reading from the right-to-left in the apparatus, it should read:

.nwod llef esuom eht eno kcurts kcolc ehT ‡ .kcolc eht pu nar esuom ehT † .kcod yrokcid yrokciH ∗

Which is the opposite of how it reads now. This is important for critical editions in Arabic (or other RtL languages) in which we are going to be dealing with the lemmas and variants.

Does this make it a bit clearer?

Kind regards,
Talal

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 2248 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: hans_r2l.tex --]

\starttext

\showframe

\definenote[afootnote][numberconversion=set 2,paragraph=yes,rule=right,align=r2l]
\setupdescriptions[afootnote][display=no,location=serried,distance=.5em]

\startalignment[l2r]
Old king cole.\footnote{This is footnote one.}
Was a merry old soul.\afootnote{Hickory dickory dock.}
And a merry old soul was he.\footnote{This is footnote two.}
\stopalignment

\startalignment[r2l]
Testing.\footnote{This is footnote three. How do I get it to be like footnotes 1 and 2?}
Testing testing.\afootnote{The mouse ran up the clock.}
Testing testing testing.\afootnote{The clock struck one the mouse fell down.}
\stopalignment

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 147 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.4: hans_r2l.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.5: Type: text/html, Size: 147 bytes --]

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2015-08-03 19:14                             ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a separate thread ("r2l alignment and linenumbering conflict? <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/92201>"), we've gotten numerals in an Arabic RTL document to (a) display as Arabic numerals, and (b) to order their digits in the right order (e.g. 2015 instead of 5102). By defining the headstyle of linenotes, we can even get linenotes to display the digits within individual numbers in the correct order (see below).

However, when there is a line range in the linenote head, it is flipping the order of the page ranges. In the example PDF attached below, where it should read ١٥-١٦ (16-15, with the fifteen on the right and the sixteen on the left, for R2L word ordering), instead the output is ١٦-١٥.

This seems to be a further example of the problems arising from not being able to apply bidi to the linenote stream, due to the bug or conflict between footnotes/linenotes and R2L. In the minimal example below, I have commented out the \startsetups[note:linenote]. The lines may be toggled to see the effect it has.

=====
\mainlanguage[arabic]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [ALM Fixed] [range=arabic,features=arabic]
\setupbodyfont[mainface,12pt]
\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two]
\setupalign[r2l]

%% CONVERSION INTO ARABIC-HINDI NUMERALS
\defineconversion[myconversion][١,٢,٣,٤,٥,٦,٧,٨,٩,١٠,١١,١٢,١٣,١٤,١٥,١٦,١٧,١٨,١٩,٢٠,]

%% HEADINGS
\setuppagenumber[numberconversion=myconversion]

%%%	LINENUMBERING
\setuplinenumbering[%
	style=\tfxx,
	referencing=on,
	step=1,
	location=outer,
	method=page,
	align=left,
	distance=1em,
	width=0.4em,
	conversion=myconversion,
	]
\definelinenote[linenote][%
	setups=note:linenote,
	before={\blank[3.2em]},
	align=righttoleft,
	rule={on,right},
	paragraph=yes,
	frame=on,framecolor=red,
	]
\setupnotations[linenote][%
	align=righttoleft,
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	numberconversion=arabic-hindi,
	headstyle=\lefttoright,
	]

\unexpanded\def\doVariant#1#2#3%
{\startlinenote[#1]{#2[ #3}#2\stoplinenote[#1]}
\newcounter\countvariants
\unexpanded\def\variant
{\doglobal\increment\countvariants
 \normalexpanded{\doVariant{Varia:\countvariants}}}

%%% DOCUMENT

%\startsetups[note:linenote]
%	\setupdirections[bidi=on,method=default,fences=no]
%\stopsetups

\starttext \showframe

\startlinenumbering
\input ward\linenote{هذه تعليقة أولى.}
\input ward\linenote{هذه تعليقة ثانية.}
\input ward\linenote{هذه تعليقة ثالثة.}
مرحباً بالعالم مرحباً بالعالم مرحباً بالعالم . هذا مثال على استعمال كونتكست لأجل تحقيق المخطوطات في اللغة العربية . وقد قربنا من
\variant{الوصول إلى الحلول}{الحصول على الحلول}
 التي نحتاجها لتصميم الخطوط التي تكتب من اليمين إلى الشمال .
\linenote{هذه تعليقة خامسة.}
\stoplinenumbering
\stoptext
=====

Best,
Talal

> On 2 Aug 2015, at 12:11, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

>> [...]
>> Hi Talal,
>>
>> replace you bidi settings with these ones:
>> [...]
>> At least, they work for me.
>
> Talal,
>
> sorry for the noise, the first linenote has the problem you described.
>
> I thought it belonged to the second linenote.
>

> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 6651 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: num-ar.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 1819 bytes --]

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2015-08-02 11:11                           ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-08-02 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-08-02 11:09                           ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-02 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the help, Pablo, but, unfortunately, this is not solving the problem (at least over here): The beginning of the third footnote/linenote is still missing. It should read (at the end of line one and at the beginning of line two of the notes):
0 وهذه
تعليقة
The end of line one is dropped. I have put an arrow on the attached PDF to demonstrate where it should be. (Of course, it is possible that our source tex files are slightly different?)

Talal

> On 2 Aug 2015, at 11:47, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
>
> On 08/02/2015 12:02 PM, talazem@fastmail.fm wrote:
>> Apologies: While the problem remains, I realise now that using "method=one"
>> or "method=two" wasn’t having any effect because I had forgotten to add
>> the option "align=righttoleft,” to "\setupnotations[lnote]”. Having done
>> so, adding the method options do have an effect. But the output is still
>> flawed; the beginning of the third note is missing at the end of the
>> first line of the footnote, while its last few words can be seen on the
>> second line of the footnote. See my new attachment (linenotes r2l 3,tex) below:
>
> Hi Talal,
>
> replace you bidi settings with this ones:
>
> \setupdirections[bidi=global, method=two]
>
> \startsetups[note:linenote]
>  \setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two,fences=yes]
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
>
> At least, they work for me.
>

> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 974 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: linenotes r2l 3.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 250 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.4: linenotes r2l 3.tex --]

%%% Wolfgang & Hans' patch for R2L paragraphed footnotes (as of 20150731)
\unprotect

\unexpanded\def\leftorrightvbox{\ifconditional\displaylefttoright\expandafter\lefttorightvbox\else\expandafter\righttoleftvbox\fi}

\def\strc_notes_flush_global
 {\begingroup
  \useinterlinespaceparameter\noteparameter
  \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!paragraph}\v!yes
    {\leftorrightvbox
       {\starthboxestohbox
\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopy\else\unvbox\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber
        \stophboxestohbox}}
{\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopied\else\unvboxed\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber}%
  \endgroup}

\protect

%%% FONTS
\definefontfamily[mainface][serif][ALMFixed][features=arabic,range=arabic]
\setupbodyfont [mainface]

%%% BIDI

\setupdirections[bidi=global, method=two]

\startsetups[note:linenote]
 \setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two,fences=yes]
\stopsetups

\setupalign[r2l]

%%% FOOTNOTES

\definelinenote[linenote][%
	setups=note:linenote,
	align=righttoleft,
	rule={on,right},
	paragraph=yes,
	frame=on,framecolor=yellow,
	]
\setupnotations[linenote][%
	align=righttoleft,
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	]

%%% THE DOCUMENT

\showframe
\starttext

هذه رسالة لطيفة ألفها العالم الكبير الفهامة النحرير.
\linenote{وهذه هي التعليقة الأولى (وهي طويلة) إلا أنها ليست صحيحة.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفها الشيخ الفاضل الرَّحلة.
\linenote{هذه تعليقة (ثانية).}
وهذه جملة ثالثة لأجل وضع نعليقة (جديدة).
\linenote{وهذه تعليقة (ثالثة).}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #1.2.5: Type: text/html, Size: 2463 bytes --]

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2015-08-02 10:47                         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-08-02 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-08-02 10:02                       ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-02 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apologies: While the problem remains, I realise now that using "method=one" or "method=two" wasn’t having any effect because I had forgotten to add the option "align=righttoleft,” to "\setupnotations[lnote]”. Having done so, adding the method options do have an effect. But the output is still flawed; the beginning of the third note is missing at the end of the first line of the footnote, while its last few words can be seen on the second line of the footnote. See my new attachment (linenotes r2l 3,tex) below:

[-- Attachment #2: linenotes r2l 3.tex --]

[...]

\definelinenote[lnote][%
	setups=note:linenote,
	align=righttoleft,
	rule={on,right},
	paragraph=yes,
	frame=on,framecolor=yellow,
	]
\setupnotations[lnote][%
	align=righttoleft,
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	]

%%% THE DOCUMENT

\showframe
\starttext

هذه رسالة لطيفة ألفها العالم الكبير الفهامة النحرير.
\lnote{وهذه هي التعليقة الأولى (وهي طويلة) إلا أنها ليست صحيحة.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفها الشيخ الفاضل الرَّحلة.
\lnote{هذه تعليقة (ثانية).}
وهذه جملة ثالثة لأجل وضع نعليقة (جديدة).
\lnote{وهذه تعليقة (ثالثة).}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: linenotes r2l 3.pdf --]

@ 2015-08-02  9:20                     ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-02  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Pablo, for bringing method=two to my attention. I’ve read what has been written about in on the mailing list. However, in my case, it does not solve the problem. On the document I’ve attached:
- using method=default produces the error I raised yesterday;
- using method=one (or method=two) seem to do nothing — the parentheses are still inversed, as if I hadn’t defined \setupdirections at all. See attached:

[-- Attachment #2: linenotes r2l 2.tex --]

[...]

\setupnotations[lnote][%s
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	]

%%% THE DOCUMENT

\showframe
\starttext

هذه رسالة لطيفة ألفها العالم الكبير الفهامة النحرير.
\lnote{وهذه هي التعليقة الأولى (وهي طويلة) إلا أنها ليست صحيحة.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفها الشيخ الفاضل الرَّحلة.
\lnote{هذه تعليقة (ثانية).}
وهذه جملة ثالثة لأجل وضع نعليقة (جديدة).
\lnote{وهذه تعليقة (ثالثة).}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: linenotes r2l 2.pdf --]

@ 2015-08-02  7:52                   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-08-02  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-08-01 22:36                 ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-01 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I’ve run into a hiccup. In the previous MWE that worked with Woflgang and Hans’ patch, the notes were footnotes. However, if make them into linenotes, we run into a strange problem: the first note is typeset correctly, but all the remaining linenotes in that stream are typeset on the bottom left corner of the page. See attached files.

Best wishes,
Talal

[-- Attachment #2: linenotes r2l.tex --]

[...]

\startsetups[note:footnote]
  \setupdirections[bidi=global]
\stopsetups

\setupalign[r2l]

%%% FOOTNOTES

\definenote[afootnote][%
	setups=note:footnote,
	align=righttoleft,
	rule={on,right},
	paragraph=yes,
	frame=on,framecolor=yellow,
	]
\setupnotations[afootnote][%s
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	]

\definelinenote[lnote][%
	setups=note:footnote,
	align=righttoleft,
	rule={on,right},
	paragraph=yes,
	frame=on,framecolor=yellow,
	]
\setupnotations[lnote][%s
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	]

%%% COMMANDS & BLOCKS

\definestartstop[arabik][%
	before={\blank\startalignment[r2l]},
	after={\stopalignment\blank},
	]

\definestartstop[english][%
	before={\blank\startalignment[l2r]},
	after={\stopalignment\blank},
	]

%%% THE DOCUMENT

\showframe

\starttext

\section{CORRECT: Arabic with custom afootnote stream}

هذه رسالة لطيفة ألفها العالم الكبير الفهامة النحرير.
\afootnote{وهذه هي التعليقة الأولى (وهي طويلة) إلا أنها ليست صحيحة.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفها الشيخ الفاضل الرَّحلة.
\afootnote{هذه تعليقة (ثانية).}

\section{INCORRECT: Arabic with linenote stream}

هذه رسالة لطيفة ألفها العالم الكبير الفهامة النحرير.
\lnote{وهذه هي التعليقة الأولى (وهي طويلة) إلا أنها ليست صحيحة.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفها الشيخ الفاضل الرَّحلة.
\lnote{هذه تعليقة (ثانية).}

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: linenotes r2l.pdf --]

@ 2015-07-31 14:47                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-31 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/31/2015 1:07 PM, talazem@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Excellent. This seems to solve the problem completely. I even tried mixing Arabic and English text in the RTL footnotes, switched on the “alternative=serried” option, and defined my own custom note streams — everything worked very well. The only thing that didn’t work is to mix, in the same stream, footnotes that are LTR with footnotes that are RTL. But I did not expect this to work, and I cannot think of a real world scenario in which such footnotes would/should be mixed in the same stream.
>
> Attached are both the .tex file and the PDF with a perfectly working example. Many thanks to you both, Wolfgang and Hans. Hans, I assume we’ll know if the patch eventually makes it into a beta?

yes but no upload today (i've also added the example to the test suite)

Hans

(you can put the patch in cont-new.mkiv in the meantime)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-07-31 12:05                 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-07-31 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Talal, Wolfgang, Hans,
Salaam.

This is beautiful progress!

Nice Arabic editing font in the sample too -)

Best wishes
Idris

--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2015-07-31 11:07               ` talazem
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: talazem @ 2015-07-31 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excellent. This seems to solve the problem completely. I even tried mixing Arabic and English text in the RTL footnotes, switched on the “alternative=serried” option, and defined my own custom note streams — everything worked very well. The only thing that didn’t work is to mix, in the same stream, footnotes that are LTR with footnotes that are RTL. But I did not expect this to work, and I cannot think of a real world scenario in which such footnotes would/should be mixed in the same stream.

Attached are both the .tex file and the PDF with a perfectly working example. Many thanks to you both, Wolfgang and Hans. Hans, I assume we’ll know if the patch eventually makes it into a beta?

Best,
Talal

[-- Attachment #2: RTL-paragraphed-footnotes.tex --]

[...]

\setupnote[footnote][%
	setups=note:footnote,
	align=righttoleft,
	rule={on,right},
	paragraph=yes,
	]

\setupnotation[footnote][%
	align=righttoleft,
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	]

\definenote[afootnote][%
	setups=note:footnote,
	align=righttoleft,
	rule={on,right},
	paragraph=yes,
	frame=on,framecolor=yellow,
	]
\setupnotations[afootnote][%s
	align=righttoleft,
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	]

\definenote[bfootnote][%
%	setups=note:footnote,
	paragraph=yes,
	frame=on,framecolor=yellow,
	]
\setupnotations[bfootnote][%s
	alternative=serried,
	width=broad,
	distance=.5em,
	display=no,
	]

%%% COMMANDS & BLOCKS

\definestartstop[arabik][%
	before={\blank\startalignment[r2l]},
	after={\stopalignment\blank},
	]

\definestartstop[english][%
	before={\blank\startalignment[l2r]},
	after={\stopalignment\blank},
	]

%%% THE DOCUMENT

\showframe

\starttext

\section{Arabic with default footnote stream}

هذه رسالة مني إليك. I wish you could read it. ولكنها مكتوبة بالعربية.
\footnote{
	هذه (تعليقة) أولى.
I wish you could read it.
ولكنها مكتوبة بالعربية.
}
فانتهيت.
\footnote{هذه (تعليقة) ثانية.}

\section{Arabic with custom afootnote stream}

هذه رسالة لطيفة ألفها العالم الكبير الفهامة النحرير.
\afootnote{وهذه هي التعليقة الأولى (وهي طويلة) إلا أنها ليست صحيحة.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفها الشيخ الفاضل الرَّحلة.
\afootnote{هذه تعليقة (ثانية).}

\startenglish

\section{English with custom bfootnote stream}

This is MY LTR sentence with a regular, LTR footnote.\bfootnote{This is a custom bfootnote. Notice how the serried spacing is working nicely in this footnote but also in the R2L ones above.}
This, also, is LTR sentence with a regular footnote.\bfootnote{This is the second custom bfootnote.}

\stopenglish

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: RTL-paragraphed-footnotes.pdf --]

@ 2015-07-31  8:39             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-07-31  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/31/2015 1:51 AM, talazem@fastmail.fm wrote:
> You’re right. The patch gets us half way to the desired behaviour
> (namely, correct ordering of the footnotes within the paragraph). But it
> seems that the ‘paragraph’ option doesn’t play well with RTL generally,
> resulting in the second note disappearing when using
> \startsetups[note:footnote] \setupdirections[bidi=global] \stopsetups.

can you try

\unprotect

\unexpanded\def\leftorrightvbox{\ifconditional\displaylefttoright\expandafter\lefttorightvbox\else\expandafter\righttoleftvbox\fi}

\def\strc_notes_flush_global
   {\begingroup
    \useinterlinespaceparameter\noteparameter
    \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!paragraph}\v!yes
      {\leftorrightvbox
         {\starthboxestohbox

\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopy\else\unvbox\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber
          \stophboxestohbox}}

{\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopied\else\unvboxed\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber}%
    \endgroup}

\protect

>> On 30 Jul 2015, at 20:04, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com <mailto:schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> talazem@fastmail.fm <mailto:talazem@fastmail.fm>
>>> 30. Juli 2015 20:37
>>> I’ve come across a snag. When using parentheses in Arabic footnotes, they are flipped. In any earlier email (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/91501/match=setupdirections+bidi+global), you had advised adding the following:

>>> However, if one does this with your patch, the second footnote gets dropped. Here is the MWE:
>>>
>> The second note disappears even without the patch, the problem this
>> the paragraph option for the notes.
>>
>> Wolfgang

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-07-30 23:51           ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-07-30 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-07-30 19:04         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-07-30 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> talazem@fastmail.fm <mailto:talazem@fastmail.fm>
> 30. Juli 2015 20:37
> I’ve come across a snag. When using parentheses in Arabic footnotes, they are flipped. In any earlier email (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/91501/match=setupdirections+bidi+global), you had advised adding the following:
>
>> \startsetups[note:footnote]
>>    \setupdirections[bidi=global]
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> \setupnote[footnote][setups=note:footnote] % align=righttoleft
>
> However, if one does this with your patch, the second footnote gets dropped. Here is the MWE:

The second note disappears even without the patch, the problem this the
paragraph option for the notes.

Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-07-30 18:37       ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-07-30 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I’ve come across a snag. When using parentheses in Arabic footnotes, they are flipped. In any earlier email (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/91501/match=setupdirections+bidi+global), you had advised adding the following:

> \startsetups[note:footnote]
>   \setupdirections[bidi=global]
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupnote[footnote][setups=note:footnote] % align=righttoleft

However, if one does this with your patch, the second footnote gets dropped. Here is the MWE:

> \unprotect
>
> \def\strc_notes_flush_global
>   {\begingroup
>    \useinterlinespaceparameter\noteparameter
>    \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!paragraph}\v!yes
>      {%\vbox\starthboxestohbox
>       \vbox\ifconditional\displaylefttoright \else dir TRT \fi\starthboxestohbox
>         \iftrialtypesetting\unvcopy\else\unvbox\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber
>       \stophboxestohbox}
>      {\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopied\else\unvboxed\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber}%
>    \endgroup}
>
> \protect
>
> \definefontfamily[mainface][serif][ALMFixed][features=arabic,range=arabic,]
> \setupbodyfont [mainface]
>
> \startsetups[note:footnote]
>    \setupdirections[bidi=global]
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupnote[footnote][paragraph=yes,align=righttoleft,setups=note:footnote,]
> \setupnotation[footnote][align=righttoleft,alternative=serried,]
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> First note.\footnote{هذه هي (التعليقة) الأولى.}
> Second note.\footnote{هذه هي (التعليقة) الثانية.}
>
> \stoptext

All the best,
Talal

@ 2015-07-30 18:18       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-30 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Pablo Rodriguez 30. Juli 2015 16:26
>>
>> I wonder whether there is a bug somewhere in notes, because you may have
>> r2l notations, but the notes paragraph is built l2r:
>> [...]
> Can you test the following patch.

Hi Wolfgang,

your patch works fine with both samples.

What I wonder is wheter \setupnote and \setupnototation should inherit
the property from \setupalign[r2l] or from the alignment in the body
position where they are inserted.

Pablo

> \unprotect
>
> \def\strc_notes_flush_global
>   {\begingroup
>    \useinterlinespaceparameter\noteparameter
>    \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!paragraph}\v!yes
>      {%\vbox\starthboxestohbox
>       \vbox\ifconditional\displaylefttoright \else dir TRT
> \fi\starthboxestohbox
>
> \iftrialtypesetting\unvcopy\else\unvbox\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber
>       \stophboxestohbox}
>
> {\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopied\else\unvboxed\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber}%
>    \endgroup}
>
> \protect
>
> %\setupalign[righttoleft]
>
> \setupnote[footnote][paragraph=yes,align=righttoleft]
> \setupnotation[footnote][align=righttoleft]
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> First note.\footnote{This is the first footnote.}
> Second note.\footnote{This is the second footnote.}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2015-07-30 18:17       ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-07-30 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed, that seems to do the trick, Wolfgang.

> On 30 Jul 2015, at 18:54, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Pablo Rodriguez <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>	30. Juli 2015 16:26
>>
>> I wonder whether there is a bug somewhere in notes, because you may have
>> r2l notations, but the notes paragraph is built l2r:
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A6]
>> \starttext \showframe
>>
>> \definenote[afootnote][rule={on,right}, paragraph=yes]
>> \definenotation[afootnote][align=r2l]
>>
>> \startalignment[r2l]
>> Testing.\afootnote{This is footnote one.}
>> Testing testing.\afootnote{This is footnote two.}
>> Testing testing testing.\afootnote{This is footnote three.}
>> \stopalignment
>>
>> \stoptext
> Can you test the following patch.
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\strc_notes_flush_global
>   {\begingroup
>    \useinterlinespaceparameter\noteparameter
>    \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!paragraph}\v!yes
>      {%\vbox\starthboxestohbox
>       \vbox\ifconditional\displaylefttoright \else dir TRT \fi\starthboxestohbox
>         \iftrialtypesetting\unvcopy\else\unvbox\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber
>       \stophboxestohbox}
>      {\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopied\else\unvboxed\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber}%
>    \endgroup}
>
> \protect
>
> %\setupalign[righttoleft]
>
> \setupnote[footnote][paragraph=yes,align=righttoleft]
> \setupnotation[footnote][align=righttoleft]
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> First note.\footnote{This is the first footnote.}
> Second note.\footnote{This is the second footnote.}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2015-07-30 18:15       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-07-30 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:54:55 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Pablo Rodriguez <mailto:oinos@gmx.es>
>> 30. Juli 2015 16:26
>>
>> I wonder whether there is a bug somewhere in notes, because you may have
>> r2l notations, but the notes paragraph is built l2r:
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A6]
>> \starttext \showframe
>>
>> \definenote[afootnote][rule={on,right}, paragraph=yes]
>> \definenotation[afootnote][align=r2l]
>>
>> \startalignment[r2l]
>> Testing.\afootnote{This is footnote one.}
>> Testing testing.\afootnote{This is footnote two.}
>> Testing testing testing.\afootnote{This is footnote three.}
>> \stopalignment
>>
>> \stoptext
> Can you test the following patch.
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\strc_notes_flush_global
>    {\begingroup
>     \useinterlinespaceparameter\noteparameter
>     \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!paragraph}\v!yes
>       {%\vbox\starthboxestohbox
>        \vbox\ifconditional\displaylefttoright \else dir TRT
> \fi\starthboxestohbox
> \iftrialtypesetting\unvcopy\else\unvbox\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber
>        \stophboxestohbox}
> {\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopied\else\unvboxed\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber}%
>     \endgroup}
>
> \protect
>
> %\setupalign[righttoleft]
>
> \setupnote[footnote][paragraph=yes,align=righttoleft]
> \setupnotation[footnote][align=righttoleft]
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> First note.\footnote{This is the first footnote.}
> Second note.\footnote{This is the second footnote.}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Looking good... Question:

========From strc-not.mkvi=======
\def\strc_notes_flush_global
   {\begingroup
    \useinterlinespaceparameter\noteparameter
    \doifelse{\noteparameter\c!paragraph}\v!yes
      {\vbox\starthboxestohbox
         \iftrialtypesetting\unvcopy\else\unvbox\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber
       \stophboxestohbox}
      {\iftrialtypesetting\unvcopied\else\unvboxed\fi\currentnoteinsertionnumber}%
    \endgroup}
=================================

What was key point of attack in the original definition that was
hardwiring the TLT in the note markers?

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

* Re: footnotes when using RtL (Arabic)
@ 2015-07-30 17:54     ` Wolfgang Schuster
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-07-30 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2015-07-30 15:08       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-07-30 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/30/2015 04:43 PM, talazem@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Thank you, Pablo. This is indeed the problem: the individual elements —
> the notes — are correctly RTL, but the overall “paragraph” is ordering
> the elements LTR (with the additional caveat the footnote paragraph is
> not properly aligned/justified to the right margin either).

Adding "\definenotation[afootnote][alternative=serried, align=r2l]"
makes alignment even worse.

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk