* ligature prevention
@ 2021-01-05 11:51 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-05 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I probably didn't mention this yet but the way to deal with ligature and
kerning prevention in lmts is:

     whatever\par
     {\nokerning whatever}\par
     efficient ff fi\par
     {\noligaturing efficient ff fi}\par
     {\nokerning\noligaturing efficient ff fi}\par
     {e{\noligaturing ffi}cient}\par

because this feature can be used local and because it actually has more
granularity than advertised, I added this in the next version

     {ef{\noleftligaturing f}icient ff fi}\par
     {ef{\norightligaturing f}icient ff fi}\par

(so, specific commands for left/right control). Or course one can wonder
how useful it is, but because tex is all about control ...

Hans

* Re: ligature prevention
@ 2021-01-05 12:20 ` denis.maier
From: denis.maier @ 2021-01-05 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Cool.
How is that related to \zwj and \zwnj?

By the way, the ligature suppression mechanism via \startexceptions is already implemented, correct? If yes, it should now be possible to convert the existing wordlists to the new format, right?

Best,
Denis

@ 2021-01-05 13:03   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-01-05 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/5/2021 1:20 PM, denis.maier@ub.unibe.ch wrote:

> How is that related to \zwj and \zwnj?

It isn't. It's one of the properties that gets assigned to glyphs so
individual glyphs can be told either or not to kern, make ligatures,
protrude, expand, tweak dimensions, etc.

There is some more new glyph juggling, like

     \def\UnKernedTeX{T{\glyph xoffset -.2ex yoffset -.4ex `E}{\glyph
xoffset -.4ex options "C0 `X}}

     \dorecurse{100}{ x \UnKernedTeX}

as well as some scaling features. All to be applied and integrated in
due time.

> By the way, the ligature suppression mechanism via \startexceptions is already implemented, correct? If yes, it should now be possible to convert the existing wordlists to the new format, right?

Maybe, but not (yet) on the agenda. My priority is now with some font
stuff.

Hans