* Fill up "bottom" space of page with some content
@ 2015-12-02 21:19 josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-12-02 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

I wondered if there was a way to fill up the bottom of the page with some content (an image, some decorative pattern …) to avoid large blank space in page (given some limits, ie more than 2 lines of space is left blank).

By bottom of page I mean remaining space that could have been filled with text but given there was a page break it’s left blank. I saw some similar posts (relative to Fleuron) but the difficulty is that the amount of remaining space in the page is not easy to calculate, for example when having graphics, large drop caps that trigger a page break.

Hoping my question is clear enough.

Thanks for any hint

Best regards

Joseph Canedo

* Re: Fill up "bottom" space of page with some content
@ 2015-12-03 20:27 ` Thangalin
       [not found]   ` <6491d269336441b1828134bbd235a71e@gmail.com>
From: Thangalin @ 2015-12-03 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Joseph,

Mind posting a minimum working example to illustrate what you're
trying to accomplish?

@ 2015-12-03 21:04     ` josephcanedo
From: josephcanedo @ 2015-12-03 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Thangalin,

Thanks a lot for replying,

Sure, I attach 2 mwe’s. First one (fill_mwe.tex) shows a “lettrine” + paragraph cut in bottom of 1st page (not desirable).

To fix this problem I add \setpenalties\clubpenalties{5}{10000} to make sure the 6 first lines of paragraph are all together (5 lines for lettrine + 1 line to cover down the “lettrine”). This is shown in fill2_mwe.tex. There is another problem if the paragraph is too short (less than 5-6 lines) as the next paragraph will overlap with the figure, but that’s another story.

Now of course, in the bottom of the page 1 there is a large space and I would like to insert some decorative item. But my problem is that I do not know how to write some logic to insert this decorative stuff only if the title of Section 2 is moved to second page (if it is not, ie the section 1 is shorter, the section 2 title and beginning would follow in page 1). I was hoping there was a possibility to have some “filling” function that’s called if the page has still some space (I remember there is a setting called \setuplayout[line] that arranges to do this with the lines in the page.)

Hope this clarifies a bit,