* outer floats on doublesided pages
@ 2013-09-07 10:29 R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2013-09-07 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I have problems with the placement of floats. I need them to be placed in the outer edge of the text, but Context puts them in the middle of the page. The outer, inner, outeredge, inneredge, commands do not work. Right and left do work.

Preferably the criterium option should also work, e.g. criterium=0.67.
A minimal test file is attached. Try it out with a dummy, or with cow picture, or with any other picture of your liking.

I updated my context installation today to a bèta version. The version is: 2013.08.30 02.05.

All help is welcome!
Many thanks in advance,

Robert

[-- Attachment #2: tmp1.tex --]

%engine=luatex
%\enableregime[utf8]
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,location=footer]

\definefloat[edgefigure][figure]

\setupfloat
  [edgefigure]
  [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
   rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
   default={right,none,low,high}]

\setupcaption[edgefigure][number=no]

%\setupexternalfigures[directory={./../../MOP}]

\useexternalfigure[cow][./maatschstatus.jpg]

%\useexternalfigure[cow][./cow.pdf]

\starttext

\startsection[title={insight},reference=insight]

\placeedgefigure[][]{}{\framed[frame=off]{\externalfigure[cow][scale=150]}}
When the first volume of Donald Knuth's The Art of Computer Programming was published in 1969, it was typeset using hot metal type set by a Monotype Corporation typecaster with a hot metal typesetting machine from the 19th century which produced a "good classic style" appreciated by Knuth. When the second edition of the second volume was published, in 1976, the whole book had to be typeset again because the Monotype technology had been largely replaced by photographic techniques, and the original fonts were no longer available.[4] When Knuth received the galley proofs of the new book on 30 March 1977, he found them awful.[5] Around that time, Knuth saw for the first time the output of a high-quality digital typesetting system, and became interested in digital typography. The disappointing galley proofs gave him the final motivation to solve the problem at hand once and for all by designing his own typesetting system. On 13 May 1977, he wrote a memo to himself describing the basic features of TeX.[6]

\placeedgefigure[][]{}{\framed[frame=off]{\externalfigure[cow][scale=250]}}
He planned to finish it on his sabbatical in 1978, but as it happened the language was not frozen until 1989, more than ten years later. Guy Steele happened to be at Stanford during the summer of 1978, when Knuth was developing his first version of TeX. When Steele returned to MIT that autumn, he rewrote TeX's I/O to run under the ITS operating system. The first version of TeX was written in the SAIL programming language to run on a PDP-10 under Stanford's WAITS operating system. For later versions of TeX, Knuth invented the concept of literate programming, a way of producing compilable source code and cross-linked documentation typeset in TeX from the same original file. The language used is called WEB and produces programs in DEC PDP-10 Pascal.

[...]

\stopsection

\stoptext

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,location=footer]

\definefloat[edgefigure][figure]

\setupfloat
 [edgefigure]
 [leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
  rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal,
  default={outer,none,low,high}]

[...]

* Re: outer floats on doublesided pages
@ 2013-09-17 15:52               ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2013-09-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okee, Thanks!

Robert

Op 17 sep. 2013, om 17:28 heeft Hans Hagen het volgende geschreven:

@ 2013-09-10 13:30       ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2013-09-10 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jörg and Marco,

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried the chemistry textbook examples too, especially vignette seems to do what I want. I noticed you used mkii at the time, but I have mkiv now. Should I return to mkii if I want to obtain this?

Regards,

Robert

Op 10 sep. 2013, om 15:18 heeft Jörg Hagmann het volgende geschreven:

> Maybe what I did helps: see "Figures III" on
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Biochemistry_textbook.  Although I used
> mkII at the time.
>
> Cheers, Jörg
>
> R. Ermers writes:
>
>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> Thank you very much indeed for your reply. This topic apparently does not interest many people.
>>
>> In your suggestion the figures are put in the outer margin in a vertical row below one another close to the top of the page, and not near the position in the text.
>>
>> I want them positioned close to the place in the text which should flow around them. I have seen examples of this made by Context. This can be obtained by specifying default=left, or default=right, only I need the figures to protrude into the (outer) margin. This for some reason does not work under mkiv.
>>
>> I still have some time, but my deadline is approaching.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Robert

>>> You probably confused edge and margin. By default the edge has zero
>>> width and has to be enabled using \setuplayout.

>>> \setupexternalfigures
>>> [location=default]
>>>
>>> \setuppagenumbering
>>> [alternative=doublesided]
>>>
>>> \definefloat
>>> [marginfigure]
>>> [marginfigures]

@ 2013-09-10 13:18     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2013-09-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-09-10 13:04     ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-09-10 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–09–10 R. Ermers wrote:

> I want them positioned close to the place in the text which should
> flow around them. I have seen examples of this made by Context.
> This can be obtained by specifying default=left, or default=right,
> only I need the figures to protrude into the (outer) margin.

I misunderstood your requirements. That's not what my example was
supposed to do.

> This for some reason does not work under mkiv.

Confirmed. And I don't know if it has ever worked in MkIV.

Marco

* Re: outer floats on doublesided pages
@ 2013-09-10 12:13   ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2013-09-10 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-09-10  7:59 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-09-10  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2013-09-10  6:23 R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2013-09-10  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-09-03  7:54 ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2013-09-03  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Does anyone know what causes this problem? Is it a bug?

Regards,

Robert

Op 30 aug. 2013, om 19:08 heeft R. Ermers het volgende geschreven:

@ 2013-08-30 17:08 R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2013-08-30 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)