From: Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it>
Subject: Re: destinations in PDF
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:34:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Thursday, June 12, 2003 Peter Rolf wrote:

PR> An example to make it clear...
PR> You have made a PDF document with bookmarks, the focus is set to width
PR> for good readability. Now you press a bookmark for a section and Acroreader
PR> opens the correct page. But hey, where is the section? If it starts at the
PR> lower quarter of the page, it isn't visible at all.

Welcome to the world of PDF vs TeX :)

The reason of the problem: TeX puts the reference mark for the
current line on the baseline; when a PDF reference is set that
refers to a particular point of the page (e.g. a Rectangle
reference, or an XYZ one), this means that the current
*baseline* will end up on the top of the screen, therefore
hiding the actual line.

One would therefore have to put the reference mark not where
TeX wants to put it, but at <TeX placement> + <appropriate
height> (where the height added would be "enough to show the
text we *really* want to refer to.)

The problem is: how to determine the appropriate height?

For normal text, this would be the current lineheight, for
example (plus a baseline skip so that the line does not
coincide *precisely* with the monitor border, and there's some
extra margin). For section heads, it would be the whole
sectionhead height. For floats, it would be the float height.

In general, for all ConTeXt objects we would need a "put
reference mark here" command; if the object is then made into a
reference, it should be put there. (When no such mark is
defined, it should default to <TeX placement> + <lineheight>)

Hans, this is a core thing, isn't it?

Oh, and yes we need to add "rectangle" references :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta