* Bibliographies in ConTeXt
@ 2002-01-14 16:47 Randall Skelton
From: Randall Skelton @ 2002-01-14 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I have searched through the mailing list and learned of a module named m-
bib that allows bibtex databases to be used in ConTeXt.  While I have
used bibtex in the past, most of my references are stored  in a
postgresql database -- I already parse this into XML for some web tools I
have built.  I certainly can also write some perl to export the SQL to a
bibtex format but I could just as easily export it to something else.  I
suppose my question is: what is the best way to include a scientific
bibliography/reference list in a context document?  What are others
using?  Does anyone have example source that shows how to include an
author-sorted list of references at the end of a document?

As an aside, having just found the m-bib zip file, where should one place
the module files so that texexec can find it?  (FreeBSD, Darwin, OS X)

Many thanks,
Randall

* Re: Bibliographies in ConTeXt
@ 2002-01-14 17:52 ` Marco Kuhlmann
From: Marco Kuhlmann @ 2002-01-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Randall Skelton <rhskelto@atm.ox.ac.uk> (2002-01-14 16:47:56 +0000):

> I suppose my question is: what is the best way to include a
> scientific bibliography/reference list in a context document?
> What are others using?

If I understood Taco right in a previous mail, he plans to
include XML support in a future version of his m-bib module. I
am therefore currently using a home-brewed version of BibTeXML,
which implements the BibTeX content model in XML. From
BibTeXML, I convert to BibTeX using an XSL style-sheet.

    Cheers,
    Marco

* Re: Bibliographies in ConTeXt
@ 2002-01-16  8:28   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-01-16  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

First for Randall:

If you place the module in the same directory as cont-usr.tex and
regenerate the filename database, ConTeXt should definately be able
to find the module.

Bibtex is not needed if you can find a way to create
the TeX input database as is described in the documentation.
So you could probably write a script that converts PostgresQL
to the TeX database.

> If I understood Taco right in a previous mail, he plans to
> include XML support in a future version of his m-bib module. I

Correct. Not sure when I get around to doing this though.

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re[2]: Bibliographies in ConTeXt
@ 2002-01-16 11:43     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-01-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Wednesday, January 16, 2002 Taco Hoekwater wrote:

TH> Bibtex is not needed if you can find a way to create
TH> the TeX input database as is described in the documentation.
TH> So you could probably write a script that converts PostgresQL
TH> to the TeX database.

Now, if TeXUtil had a module capability, the BibTeX & co
functionality could be built into a Perl module for TeXUtil,
automatically called when needed, and we would really not need
BibTeX at all.

Hans?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Bibliographies in ConTeXt
@ 2002-01-20  5:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-20  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:47 PM 1/14/2002 +0000, Randall Skelton wrote:

>As an aside, having just found the m-bib zip file, where should one place
>the module files so that texexec can find it?  (FreeBSD, Darwin, OS X)

more precisely: "so that web2c can find them"; texexec just calls tex

texmf.../tex/context/base   : the formal core distribution
                     /extra  : official goodies
                     /sample : a couple of example files
                     /user   : your stuff, also cont-sys.tex

                     /third  : modules not maintained by me

so, it makes sense to put m-bib into

                     /third/bib/

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Bibliographies in ConTeXt
@ 2002-01-20 21:06   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-20 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:52 AM 1/15/2002 +0000, Marco Kuhlmann wrote:

>If I understood Taco right in a previous mail, he plans to
>include XML support in a future version of his m-bib module. I
>am therefore currently using a home-brewed version of BibTeXML,
>which implements the BibTeX content model in XML. From
>BibTeXML, I convert to BibTeX using an XSL style-sheet.

so, how about making that into a kind of project ?

@ 2002-01-20 21:08       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-20 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater, ntg-context

At 09:43 PM 1/16/2002 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Now, if TeXUtil had a module capability, the BibTeX & co
>functionality could be built into a Perl module for TeXUtil,
>automatically called when needed, and we would really not need
>BibTeX at all.
>
>Hans?

right, but isn't it best than to sort etc the xml counterpart?

i'm not sure how well the perl xslt module performs currently in sorting etc

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
                                   fall-back web server:
www.pragma-pod.nl

* Bibliographies (answers and questions)
@ 2002-01-21 10:01         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-01-21 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bourbaki, ntg-context

First of all, anyone having problems with the bib module: please
update your context. There has been a problem with the context core
that caused the list of references to always remain empty.

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:08:04 +0100
"Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> >and we would really not need BibTeX at all.

We don't *want* Bibtex. Bibtex is a nastly little program that uses
a nearly unparseable database format. However, as it is now, XML
is not yet wide-spread and there are lots of people that have .bib
files.

The bib module does not use bibtex directly, and this is very much
on purpose. It uses bibtex as a data converter and sorting engine,
and nothing more.

To get the bib module to use XML, a number of steps have to be
taken:

a) We need a DTD/Schema
b) We need an sorting routine for that DTD/Schema (perhaps
   XSLT but 'plain perl' is probably more portable)
c) We need ConTeXt macros to parse the result XML
d) We need a converter BibTeX -> XML
e) We perhaps need a converter from the current TeX bib database
   to XML?

Lots of stuff to do, so I am asking for volunteers, esp. for a)
and b). (Marco?)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Bibliographies (answers and questions)
@ 2002-01-21 17:07           ` Andreas Ulbrich
From: Andreas Ulbrich @ 2002-01-21 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> First of all, anyone having problems with the bib module: please
> update your context. There has been a problem with the context core
> that caused the list of references to always remain empty.

Ok,  I updated to 2001.11.13.13.14, which I found on www.ntg.nl/context.
Yet, the problem persists. Is there any newer version of context or do I
have to use the beta? Would using the beta break any existing context docs?

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: Bibliographies (answers and questions)
@ 2002-01-22 10:02             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-22 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Taco Hoekwater, ntg-context

At 06:07 PM 1/21/2002 +0100, Andreas Ulbrich wrote:
>Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>First of all, anyone having problems with the bib module: please
>>update your context. There has been a problem with the context core
>>that caused the list of references to always remain empty.
>

>Ok,  I updated to 2001.11.13.13.14, which I found on www.ntg.nl/context.
>Yet, the problem persists. Is there any newer version of context or do I
>have to use the beta? Would using the beta break any existing context docs?

try the beta from www.pragma-pod.nl

(i'll promote that one to regular soon)

@ 2002-01-22 11:06               ` Andreas Ulbrich
From: Andreas Ulbrich @ 2002-01-22 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> try the beta from www.pragma-pod.nl
>
> (i'll promote that one to regular soon)
>
> Hans

That url does not produce more than a link to xs4all, which as I
understand is you Dutch provider. Is the beta from www.ntg.nl/context
the most recent (i.e. the one you gonna release)?

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: Bibliographies (answers and questions)
@ 2002-01-22 12:15                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-01-22 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:06 PM 1/22/2002 +0100, Andreas Ulbrich wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>try the beta from www.pragma-pod.nl
>>(i'll promote that one to regular soon)
>>Hans
>

>That url does not produce more than a link to xs4all, which as I
>understand is you Dutch provider. Is the beta from www.ntg.nl/context the
>most recent (i.e. the one you gonna release)?

here the name is resolved properly but last week there have been problems;
what happens if you reset your browser cache?

@ 2002-01-22 15:18                   ` Andreas Ulbrich
From: Andreas Ulbrich @ 2002-01-22 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>> That url does not produce more than a link to xs4all, which as I
>> understand is you Dutch provider. Is the beta from www.ntg.nl/context
>> the most recent (i.e. the one you gonna release)?
>

> here the name is resolved properly but last week there have been
> problems; what happens if you reset your browser cache?

Same result. I downloaded the beta from www.ntg.nl/context and this one
seems to work (bib included). Thanks.

This is what nslookup said:

 > www.pragma-pod.nl
Server:  opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Address:  130.149.17.5

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.pragma-pod.nl
Address:  194.109.6.83

* Re: Bibliographies (answers and questions)
@ 2002-01-22 15:28                   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-01-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Ulbrich, ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> here the name is resolved properly but last week there have been
> problems; what happens if you reset your browser cache?

Or use a different browser than bug plagued MS IE?

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Domain troubles (was: Bibliographies)
@ 2002-01-22 19:06                 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-01-22 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Am Dienstag 22 Januar 2002 12:06 schrieb Andreas Ulbrich:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
> > try the beta from www.pragma-pod.nl
> That url does not produce more than a link to xs4all, which as I

I got the latest beta this afternoon from pragma-pod without problems.

G.v.H.!