From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
To: Denis Maier <denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org>,
Subject: Re: Best way to store text for later use
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 11:59:18 +0200	[thread overview]

On 9/18/2020 8:59 PM, Denis Maier wrote:

> Am 18.09.2020 um 19:02 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 9/18/2020 3:36 PM, Denis Maier wrote:
>>
>>> I've tried using buffers, but this here doesn't work:
>> Why not just fetch it when needed. There is no gain in storing it and
>> fetching from the xml tree is fast.
>>
> Most likely due to my limited understanding of how these things work. I
> thought storing the text and retrieving it later would be the easiest
> way to get rid of the constraints of linar processing of the XML file.
> The layout itself is determined by setups such as this one:

there is no linear processing, you just start someplace and recursively
deal with the tree (which often looks like linear when you start at the
root but basically you can access everything everywhere)

> \startsetups abstract
>      \startabstract
>          \documentvariable{abstract}
>      \stopabstract
> \stopsetups
>
> \setuphead [chapter][
>      alternative=middle,
>      page=yes,
>      indentnext=no,
>      style=\tfa\setupinterlinespace,
>      after={\directsetup{placeauthors}\directsetup{abstract}},
>      footer=chapterfooter,
>      ]
>
> How could I fetch the xml node from here so I don't need a variable,
> buffer or the like?
just pass the root element i.e. instead of #1 in

  \xmlfilter{#1}{/abstract/command(xml:article-meta:abstract)}

as #1 is just an abstraction for the current element; you pass the name
you used when loading the tree (often \xmldocument works too)

there are plenty examples in the documentation and test suite and in
some styles

Hans