* Breaking ligatures
@ 2013-03-20 20:12 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2013-03-20 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Knights,

What is the canonical way to break a ligature in MkIV? The canonical TeX
way, e.g.

f{}i

does not work if the feature liga=yes.

The zero-width joiner or non-joiner will do it but that seems ad hoc or
abusive ;-) since those are really for cursive scripts like Arabic and
Syriac.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Breaking ligatures
@ 2013-03-20 20:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-03-20 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد

On 3/20/2013 9:12 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
> Dear Knights,
>
> What is the canonical way to break a ligature in MkIV? The canonical TeX
> way, e.g.
>
> f{}i

that's more a side effect of the old engine where lig building happened
interwoven with the parser (optimization) while in luatex this is nicely
separated (cleaner) you can put a kern in between but then of course you
wont get kerning with the other chars

> does not work if the feature liga=yes.
>
> The zero-width joiner or non-joiner will do it but that seems ad hoc or
> abusive ;-) since those are really for cursive scripts like Arabic and
> Syriac.

quite a claim ... afaik devanagari also needs them

anyhow, just don't enable ligatures if in doubt (some fonts have
language dependent ligatures) ... it's somewhat arbitrary to have only
'f' related ligs anyway

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Breaking ligatures
@ 2013-03-20 20:22 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-03-20 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.03.2013 um 21:12 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu>:

> Dear Knights,
>
> What is the canonical way to break a ligature in MkIV? The canonical TeX way, e.g.
>
> f{}i
>
> does not work if the feature liga=yes.
>
> The zero-width joiner or non-joiner will do it but that seems ad hoc or abusive ;-) since those are really for cursive scripts like Arabic and Syriac.

\definefontfeature[liga][liga=yes]

\starttext
fi {\feature[-][liga]fi \feature[+][liga]fi}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Breaking ligatures
@ 2013-03-20 20:45   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2013-03-20 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:22:31 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> quite a claim ... afaik devanagari also needs them

Ah, interesting!

> anyhow, just don't enable ligatures if in doubt (some fonts have
> language dependent ligatures) ... it's somewhat arbitrary to have only
> 'f' related ligs anyway

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:22:35 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> \definefontfeature[liga][liga=yes]
> \starttext
> fi {\feature[-][liga]fi \feature[+][liga]fi}
> \stoptext

This is just for having a control to make sure the test file I'm preparing
for a \feature wiki entry is actually working right, so naturally I can't
use \feature for the control :-)

But that is a nifty example, Wolfgang, so I may include that one on the
wiki too!

Thanks Hans, Wolfgang, and

Best wishes
Idris