* letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-06-28 21:12 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-06-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hallo Wolfgang! ;-)

Since my old letter and CV environment doesn't work anymore in MkIV,
I'm trying to reproduce it with t-letter.

At the moment I struggle with the reference keys:

\setupletterstyle[reference][
	alternative=d,
	list={name,street,city,,phone,skype,email,,date},
	]
\setupletter[name,street,phone,date,skype,email][
	separator={: },
	titlestyle={\ss\tfxx},
]

The keys street, city and skype aren't defined in your module.

I found where the other keys are defined (and I guess I could mine in
or use a similar approach in my environment), but I'm clueless, where
the translation comes from - I grepped eg. after "Telefon" without
results, and I think I looked into every file of your module.

I guess it would be interesting how to define your own keys, maybe
some IM adresses etc., also for other users.
Would it be possible to use unknown keys just unchanged? I.e. if I say

\setupletter[
	Skype={fiee.visuelle}
]

to get just "Skype: fiee.visuelle"?

More questions will follow... I'll try to get my logo at the right
place by myself before...

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-06-29  7:56 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-06-29  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-06-28 um 23:12 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> I guess it would be interesting how to define your own keys, maybe
> some IM adresses etc., also for other users.
> Would it be possible to use unknown keys just unchanged? I.e. if I say
>
> \setupletter[
> 	Skype={fiee.visuelle}
> ]
>
> to get just "Skype: fiee.visuelle"?
>

> More questions will follow... I'll try to get my logo at the right
> place by myself before...

I found a simple workaround (but would prefer a clean general solution):

\setupletter[skype][
	separator={Skype:}
]

@ 2009-06-29  9:51 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-06-29  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.06.2009 um 23:12 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> Hallo Wolfgang! ;-)
>
> Since my old letter and CV environment doesn't work anymore in MkIV,
> I'm trying to reproduce it with t-letter.
>
> At the moment I struggle with the reference keys:
>
> \setupletterstyle[reference][
> 	alternative=d,
> 	list={name,street,city,,phone,skype,email,,date},
> 	]

Interesting way to insert empty lines, I never thought about this method
and use myself the special key 'line' to insert a empty line.

> \setupletter[name,street,phone,date,skype,email][
> 	separator={: },
> 	titlestyle={\ss\tfxx},
> ]
>
> The keys street, city and skype aren't defined in your module.

There is *no* predefined keys (except line in the reference line) for
\setupletter in my module.

> I found where the other keys are defined (and I guess I could mine
> in or use a similar approach in my environment), but I'm clueless,
> where the translation comes from - I grepped eg. after "Telefon"
> without results, and I think I looked into every file of your module.
>
> I guess it would be interesting how to define your own keys, maybe
> some IM adresses etc., also for other users.
> Would it be possible to use unknown keys just unchanged? I.e. if I say

I don't define keys in my module, I set only labels for the text in
the left column
which can be find in the file 'label.nle', to get a text for skype,
street etc. put
the following lines in your document (or add them to label.nle and
send me the extended
list):

\setuplabeltext[de][letter:skype=Skype]
\setuplabeltext[de][letter:street=Stra\ssharp e]
\setuplabeltext[de][letter:city=Ort] % or Stadt ...

> \setupletter[
> 	Skype={fiee.visuelle}
> ]
>
> to get just "Skype: fiee.visuelle"?

TeX is case sensitive, write 'skype=fiee.visuelle".

> More questions will follow... I'll try to get my logo at the right
> place by myself before...

The module provides a few layers you can use to position your graphic.

\setupletterstyle
   [lettermain]
   [hoffset=..cm,
    voffset=..cm,
    symbol={\externalfigure[...]},
    state=repeat] % repeat=place on each page, start=only on first
page, ...

Wolfgang

* Re: letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-06-29 15:31   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-06-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-06-29 um 11:51 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> \setupletterstyle[reference][
>> 	alternative=d,
>> 	list={name,street,city,,phone,skype,email,,date},
>> 	]
>
> Interesting way to insert empty lines, I never thought about this
> method
> and use myself the special key 'line' to insert a empty line.

Woo, I found an accidental feature! ;-)
I don't think "line" is documented in your manual.
Id wouldbe great if you'd also add the label stuff below!

>> The keys street, city and skype aren't defined in your module.
> There is *no* predefined keys (except line in the reference line)
> for \setupletter in my module.

Ok, in the manual it looks like.

> the following lines in your document (or add them to label.nle and
> send me the extended
> list):
>
> \setuplabeltext[de][letter:skype=Skype]
> \setuplabeltext[de][letter:street=Stra\ssharp e]
> \setuplabeltext[de][letter:city=Ort] % or Stadt ...

Thank you!
I don't think it would make sense to add my personal preferences to
the module, just please document this.

E.g. there are just too much IM services to provide them all; I myself
use "Address" as label for the street and add the city without label,
"Web" instead of "URL" as label for my homepage etc.

>> \setupletter[
>> 	Skype={fiee.visuelle}
>> ]
>>
>> to get just "Skype: fiee.visuelle"?
>
> TeX is case sensitive, write 'skype=fiee.visuelle".

Ok; I wrote the capital intentionally for my suggestion of using the
key as label.

>> More questions will follow... I'll try to get my logo at the right
>> place by myself before...
>
> The module provides a few layers you can use to position your graphic.

I saw that in the manual and wanted to try it on my own first - but
thank you very much!

BTW I tried to come up with measures for Swiss business letters, but
only found some advise for secretaries how to write addresses: http://home.intergga.ch/beck/wg/awi/schreibregeln/4_Briefe.pdf
My typographical literature is only about Germany.
Most swiss business letters are sent in B5 envelopes with a window on
the right side - I could meter some "right looking" Swiss letters if
you'd like.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

[-- Attachment #1.2: Signierter Teil der Nachricht --]

* Re: letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-06-29 16:38     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-06-29 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.06.2009 um 17:31 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> Am 2009-06-29 um 11:51 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>>> \setupletterstyle[reference][
>>> 	alternative=d,
>>> 	list={name,street,city,,phone,skype,email,,date},
>>> 	]
>>
>> Interesting way to insert empty lines, I never thought about this
>> method
>> and use myself the special key 'line' to insert a empty line.
>
> Woo, I found an accidental feature! ;-)

I would consider this as a ConTeXt feature.

> I don't think "line" is documented in your manual.

You're right but it's so boring to write documentation.

> Id wouldbe great if you'd also add the label stuff below!
>>> The keys street, city and skype aren't defined in your module.
>> There is *no* predefined keys (except line in the reference line)
>> for \setupletter in my module.
>
> Ok, in the manual it looks like.

You mean because I use always the same keys and all of them work?

>> the following lines in your document (or add them to label.nle and
>> send me the extended
>> list):
>>
>> \setuplabeltext[de][letter:skype=Skype]
>> \setuplabeltext[de][letter:street=Stra\ssharp e]
>> \setuplabeltext[de][letter:city=Ort] % or Stadt ...
>
> Thank you!
> I don't think it would make sense to add my personal preferences to
> the module, just please document this.
>
> E.g. there are just too much IM services to provide them all; I
> myself use "Address" as label for the street and add the city
> without label, "Web" instead of "URL" as label for my homepage etc.

I added the missing label from your example to my module, let me know
what you think
about the labels but 'Address' as label for 'street' is a no go.

BTW: Most of the previous labels are taken from scrlttr2, when you
want always your
own texts you can make a file with the name 'user.nls' and change the
label text
to your own style.

>>> \setupletter[
>>> 	Skype={fiee.visuelle}
>>> ]
>>>
>>> to get just "Skype: fiee.visuelle"?
>>
>> TeX is case sensitive, write 'skype=fiee.visuelle".
>
> Ok; I wrote the capital intentionally for my suggestion of using the
> key as label.

Makes no sense because you need then different keys for each language,
e.g. telefonnumer=...

>>> More questions will follow... I'll try to get my logo at the right
>>> place by myself before...
>>
>> The module provides a few layers you can use to position your
>> graphic.
>
> I saw that in the manual and wanted to try it on my own first - but
> thank you very much!

The problem is the module use hard coded background layers and the
only option
to place logos etc. is to use them.

> BTW I tried to come up with measures for Swiss business letters, but
> only found some advise for secretaries how to write addresses: http://home.intergga.ch/beck/wg/awi/schreibregeln/4_Briefe.pdf
> My typographical literature is only about Germany.
> Most swiss business letters are sent in B5 envelopes with a window
> on the right side - I could meter some "right looking" Swiss letters
> if you'd like.

Sounds good.

Wolfgang

* Re: letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-07-01 20:33       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-07-01 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-06-29 um 18:38 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> I don't think "line" is documented in your manual.
> You're right but it's so boring to write documentation.

;-)
You don't need to write it step by step like in your manual, but a
reference of options would be really helpful!

>> Id wouldbe great if you'd also add the label stuff below!
>>> There is *no* predefined keys (except line in the reference line)
>>> for \setupletter in my module.
>> Ok, in the manual it looks like.
> You mean because I use always the same keys and all of them work?

Indeed.

>> I don't think it would make sense to add my personal preferences to
>> the module, just please document this.
>>
>> E.g. there are just too much IM services to provide them all; I
>> myself use "Address" as label for the street and add the city
>> without label, "Web" instead of "URL" as label for my homepage etc.
>
> I added the missing label from your example to my module, let me
> know what you think
> about the labels but 'Address' as label for 'street' is a no go.

As I wrote: You need need to define all possible labels yourself, as
long it's comprehensible how to add your own.

> BTW: Most of the previous labels are taken from scrlttr2, when you
> want always your
> own texts you can make a file with the name 'user.nls' and change
> the label text
> to your own style.

Of course. At the moment I'm happy with defining it in my environment.

>> Ok; I wrote the capital intentionally for my suggestion of using
>> the key as label.
> Makes no sense because you need then different keys for each language,
> e.g. telefonnumer=...

I'm only writing letters in one language at a time, so will others.
It was only a suggestion to take the key as label as a fallback -
mostly it will be easy enough, and you don't need to define a proper
label.

>>> The module provides a few layers you can use to position your
>>> graphic.
>>
>> I saw that in the manual and wanted to try it on my own first - but
>> thank you very much!
>
> The problem is the module use hard coded background layers and the
> only option
> to place logos etc. is to use them.

So, here we are:
I'd like to change the reference table of alternative "e" a little bit
to fit my logo:

voffset=130mm, % absolute coordinates
hoffset=40mm,
width=20mm, % width of label

It doesn't work in \setupletterstyle[reference][].
Where must I put it?
Or should I define my own alternative, like yours in default.nli ?

>> BTW I tried to come up with measures for Swiss business letters,
>> but only found some advise for secretaries how to write addresses: http://home.intergga.ch/beck/wg/awi/schreibregeln/4_Briefe.pdf
>> My typographical literature is only about Germany.
>> Most swiss business letters are sent in B5 envelopes with a window
>> on the right side - I could meter some "right looking" Swiss
>> letters if you'd like.
> Sounds good.

Isn't forgotten.

BTW: I'm using your simplefonts module for the first time in the same
project - works great, thank you!
(I had to refresh my font database several times, until LuaTeX could
find all faces of my font family, but that's not your module's fault.)

@ 2009-07-01 20:55         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-07-01 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-07-01 um 22:33 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> As I wrote: You need need to define all possible labels yourself, as
> long it's comprehensible how to add your own.

Sorry, I meant: You DON'T need to...

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-07-02 13:56         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-02 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.07.2009 um 22:33 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> Am 2009-06-29 um 18:38 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>>> I don't think "line" is documented in your manual.
>> You're right but it's so boring to write documentation.
>
> ;-)
> You don't need to write it step by step like in your manual, but a
> reference of options would be really helpful!

The step by step method is only used to know how to write a simple
letter,
I won't use this to explain the option etc., what I want there are
examples
for predefined and user created element alternatives.

>>> I wrote: You need need to define all possible labels yourself, as
>>> long it's comprehensible how to add your own.

I will add a section for this but if a label is useful I want to add
it to the core.

> I'm only writing letters in one language at a time, so will others.
> It was only a suggestion to take the key as label as a fallback -
> mostly it will be easy enough, and you don't need to define a proper
> label.

I have to check if this can be done (in a good way) and if I like this
fallback method.

> So, here we are:
> I'd like to change the reference table of alternative "e" a little
> bit to fit my logo:
>
> voffset=130mm, % absolute coordinates
> hoffset=40mm,
> width=20mm, % width of label
>
> It doesn't work in \setupletterstyle[reference][].
> Where must I put it?
> Or should I define my own alternative, like yours in default.nli ?

The alternatives a–e are not so easy to move to the place you prefer
because
the start of the bodytext depends on the position (I try to keep
always two lines
between them) but you can copy the layout of one element to another
one with

which looks for you

   \copyletterelement[reference][hraban][e]

You can now place the reference line with

   \setupletterstyle
     [reference]
     [hoffset=...,
      voffset=...]

and the width of the elements in the reference line with

   \setupletter
     [phone,street,...]
     [width=20mm]

> BTW: I'm using your simplefonts module for the first time in the
> same project - works great, thank you!
> (I had to refresh my font database several times, until LuaTeX could
> find all faces of my font family, but that's not your module's fault.)

mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=... helps to find the right name.

BTW: You can another example for the use of the simplefonts module
in the source of the correspondence manual (correspondence-
environment.tex).

Wolfgang

* Re: letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-07-03 11:07           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-07-03 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-07-02 um 15:56 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

>> I'd like to change the reference table of alternative "e" a little
>> bit to fit my logo:
>>
>> voffset=130mm, % absolute coordinates
>> hoffset=40mm,
>> width=20mm, % width of label
>>
>> It doesn't work in \setupletterstyle[reference][].
>> Where must I put it?
>> Or should I define my own alternative, like yours in default.nli ?
>
> The alternatives a–e are not so easy to move to the place you prefer
> because
> the start of the bodytext depends on the position (I try to keep
> always two lines
> between them) but you can copy the layout of one element to another
> one with

> which looks for you
>
>  \copyletterelement[reference][hraban][e]
>
> You can now place the reference line with
>
>  \setupletterstyle
>    [reference]
>    [hoffset=...,
>     voffset=...]
>
> and the width of the elements in the reference line with
>
>  \setupletter
>    [phone,street,...]
>    [width=20mm]

Thank you! Offset works, width doesn't (i.e. stays automatical).

>> BTW: I'm using your simplefonts module for the first time in the
>> same project - works great, thank you!
>> (I had to refresh my font database several times, until LuaTeX
>> could find all faces of my font family, but that's not your
>> module's fault.)
>
> mtxrun --script fonts --list --pattern=... helps to find the right
> name.

I know, it's in the wiki (Fonts_in_LuaTeX). Thanks anyway.

> BTW: You can another example for the use of the simplefonts module
> in the source of the correspondence manual (correspondence-
> environment.tex).

Just wanted to ask if you published the source anywhere - didn't check
the "source" tree before...
Now I have enough examples for the moment, I think ;-)

@ 2009-07-03 11:30           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-03 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I'm only writing letters in one language at a time, so will others.
>> It was only a suggestion to take the key as label as a fallback -
>> mostly it will be easy enough, and you don't need to define a
>> proper label.
>
> I have to check if this can be done (in a good way) and if I like
> this fallback method.

I had now time to think about and my answer is I won't support
keys in \setupletter as label names because it did not produce
the output I expect but what I can do is to modify the \setlettervalue
command in the following way.

\usemodule[letter]

\def\setlettervalue#1{\dodoubleempty\dosetlettervalue[#1]}

\unprotected\def\dosetlettervalue[#1][#2]#3%
   {\ifsecondargument
      \setuplabeltext[\currentmainlanguage][letter:#1=#2]%
    %\else
    %  \setuplabeltext[\currentmainlanguage][letter:#1=#1]%
    \fi
    \setvalue{\????ld#1}{#3}}

% \setlettervalue{key}{value}
% \setlettervalue{key}[labeltext]{value}

\starttext

\setupletterstyle[reference][list={durchwahl,raum,misc,date}]

\setlettervalue{durchwahl}[Durchwahl]{0000/123456789}
\setlettervalue{raum}{1. Stock Zimmer 21}
\setlettervalue{misc}[]{another entry}

\startletter
\input ward
\stopletter

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: letter/correspondence module
@ 2009-07-03 11:35             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-07-03 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.07.2009 um 13:07 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:

> Am 2009-07-02 um 15:56 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>
>>> I'd like to change the reference table of alternative "e" a little
>>> bit to fit my logo:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Thank you! Offset works, width doesn't (i.e. stays automatical).

Do you want to change the width of the complete reference line
(\setupletterstyle)
or the width of the entries (\setupletter)?

Wolfgang