* Strange new behaviour of the mailing list
@ 2021-07-30 21:24 Otared Kavian via ntg-context
From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context @ 2021-07-30 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I noticed that beginning July 27th, the messages distributed by the ConTeXt mailing list appear to be from

	Mailing list for ConTeXt users

without the actual name of the sender appearing. It may be dependent on the mail client I am using (Mail.app on MacOS 11.4), but I wonder whether something has changed on mailing list server, and whether if there is something I can do to have the old behaviour (which was convenient when one wanted to follow up mails from some specific contributors).

Also has anybody else noticed this change?

Thanks in advance for any hint.
Best regards: Otared
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2021-07-30 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Bruce Horrocks, Otared Kavian

On 30 Jul 2021, at 22:24, Otared Kavian via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that beginning July 27th, the messages distributed by the ConTeXt mailing list appear to be from
>
> 	Mailing list for ConTeXt users
>
> without the actual name of the sender appearing. It may be dependent on the mail client I am using (Mail.app on MacOS 11.4), but I wonder whether something has changed on mailing list server, and whether if there is something I can do to have the old behaviour (which was convenient when one wanted to follow up mails from some specific contributors).
>
> Also has anybody else noticed this change?
>
> Thanks in advance for any hint.
> Best regards: Otared

I see the same thing, also on Macos. Looking at an older message, I see that the Reply-To: header has changed from

Reply to: Bruce Horrocks <ntg@scorecrow.com>,

So I suggest that there is little you can do as it appears to be a configuration change on the mailing list server; and Apple Mail doesn't have the facilities to easily allow you to re-write that header

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

@ 2021-07-30 22:47   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-07-30 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 31.07.2021 um 00:05 schrieb Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>:
>
> On 30 Jul 2021, at 22:24, Otared Kavian via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I noticed that beginning July 27th, the messages distributed by the ConTeXt mailing list appear to be from
>>
>> 	Mailing list for ConTeXt users
>>
>> without the actual name of the sender appearing.  ...
>
> I see the same thing, also on Macos. Looking at an older message, I see that the Reply-To: header has changed from
>
> Reply to: Bruce Horrocks <ntg@scorecrow.com>,

If you click on that name, you can see the actual address.

Hraban
@ 2021-07-31  9:31     ` Otared Kavian via ntg-context
From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 31 Jul 2021, at 00:47, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>> […]
>
> If you click on that name, you can see the actual address.
>
> Hraban

Sure, but I don’t understand why the behaviour has changed. It seems to me a regression…

Best regards: Otared

@ 2021-07-31  9:35   ` Otared Kavian via ntg-context
From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 31 Jul 2021, at 00:05, Bruce Horrocks <ntg@scorecrow.com> wrote:
> […]
> I see the same thing, also on Macos. Looking at an older message, I see that the Reply-To: header has changed from
>
> Reply to: Bruce Horrocks <ntg@scorecrow.com>,

> So I suggest that there is little you can do as it appears to be a configuration change on the mailing list server; and Apple Mail doesn't have the facilities to easily allow you to re-write that header

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reply.
I don’t know what has triggered this change, which seems to me strange and inconvenient.

Best regards: Otared
@ 2021-07-31  9:41       ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier, otared

I think so too. Especially since the original sender's address isn't included in "reply to all" messages.

@ 2021-07-31 10:00 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otared Kavian via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 7/30/21 11:24 PM, Otared Kavian via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that beginning July 27th, the messages distributed by the
> ConTeXt mailing list appear to be from
>
> 	Mailing list for ConTeXt users
>
> without the actual name of the sender appearing. It may be dependent
> on the mail client I am using (Mail.app on MacOS 11.4), but I wonder
> whether something has changed on mailing list server, and whether if
> there is something I can do to have the old behaviour (which was
> convenient when one wanted to follow up mails from some specific
> contributors).
>
> Also has anybody else noticed this change?

Hi Otared,

message headers read now:

  From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
  Cc: Otared Kavian <xxx@xxx.xxx>
  Sender: "ntg-context" <ntg-context-bounces@ntg.nl>

Before they read:

  From: Otared Kavian <xxx@xxx.xxx>
  Sender: "ntg-context" <ntg-context-bounces@ntg.nl>

I experience the same problem as yours.

Before, replying in Thunderbird (Ctrl+r) generated a private reply. I
needed to generate a reply to the list (Ctrl+Shif+l).

Right now, Ctrl+r generates a reply to the list.

It seems that there is no perfect solution to this. I mean, having both
messages sent from original sender and replied by default to the list.

I guess that this might be achieved finetuning Mailman (but I don’t know
how).

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk
@ 2021-07-31 10:01       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/31/2021 11:31 AM, Otared Kavian via ntg-context wrote:
>> On 31 Jul 2021, at 00:47, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
>> <ntg-context@ntg.nl <mailto:ntg-context@ntg.nl>> wrote:
>>> […]
>>
>> If you click on that name, you can see the actual address.
>>
>> Hraban
>
> Sure, but I don’t understand why the behaviour has changed. It seems to
> me a regression…
probably some experiment or update ... nothing that Taco can't fix if
needed (next week) ... btw, here 'reply all' just works fine

Hans

@ 2021-07-31 10:20         ` Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context
From: Thomas A. Schmitz via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/31/21 11:41 AM, Denis Maier via ntg-context wrote:
> I think so too. Especially since the original sender's address isn't included in "reply to all" messages.
I think it's an improvement. I have never understood why the original
sender needs an additional mail, on top of the one (s)he receives from
the list.

Thomas
@ 2021-07-31 10:54           ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

I read some lists (not this one) through game's nntp interface. So it's nice being notified if someone responds to your message. Also, I do t think I've ever received duplicate mails so I guess they are filtered out somehow. I think some lists do that automatically...

@ 2021-07-31 13:56   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
       [not found]     ` <6811A172-A946-4B30-B792-F6D676C74363@icloud.com>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 31.07.2021 um 12:00 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>:
>
> message headers read now:
>
>  From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
>  Cc: Otared Kavian <xxx@xxx.xxx>
>  Sender: "ntg-context" <ntg-context-bounces@ntg.nl>
>
> Before they read:
>
>  From: Otared Kavian <xxx@xxx.xxx>
>  Sender: "ntg-context" <ntg-context-bounces@ntg.nl>

Ah, I didn’t recognize you mean this.

Since the mail goes through the mailing list software, the sender must not be the original sender any more – ntg.nl is not allowed to send emails for a different domain. Many securely configured mail servers reject “faked” sender addresses, as they should. Look up DANE etc.

Hraban
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2021-07-31 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 31.07.2021 um 21:19 schrieb Bruce Horrocks <bruce.horrocks@icloud.com>:
>
> On 31 Jul 2021, at 14:56, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, I didn’t recognize you mean this.
>>
>> Since the mail goes through the mailing list software, the sender must not be the original sender any more – ntg.nl is not allowed to send emails for a different domain. Many securely configured mail servers reject “faked” sender addresses, as they should. Look up DANE etc.
>
> That's all well and good but it obscures the sender in your mail client. If you look at the screen shot you can see that the older emails all display the sender's name in the list. Under the new system (just the topmost entry, shown selected) every email comes from "ntg-context@ntg.nl" which is completely useless when you want to visually scan down the list for a particular person.

It doesn’t make sense to argue about this, but it’s apparently a setting (or unchangeable behavior) of your Email app.

My Apple Mail 12.4 on Mojave shows the same message like attached (dark mode).

Hraban

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 1879 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: PastedGraphic-1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 49433 bytes --]

@ 2021-08-01  5:43         ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2021-08-01  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 7/31/21 11:02 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
> [...]
> My Apple Mail 12.4 on Mojave shows the same message like attached (dark
> mode).

Thunderbird’s display is in the attached image.

The message list can only include a sender, since it has registered the
email address in the address book.

I think this behaviour makes most sense.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

[-- Attachment #2: new-ml.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 77611 bytes --]

@ 2021-08-01 14:16         ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2021-08-01 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Bruce Horrocks

> On 31 Jul 2021, at 22:02, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>

>> Am 31.07.2021 um 21:19 schrieb Bruce Horrocks <bruce.horrocks@icloud.com>:
>>
>> On 31 Jul 2021, at 14:56, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah, I didn’t recognize you mean this.
>>>
>>> Since the mail goes through the mailing list software, the sender must not be the original sender any more – ntg.nl is not allowed to send emails for a different domain. Many securely configured mail servers reject “faked” sender addresses, as they should. Look up DANE etc.
>>
>> That's all well and good but it obscures the sender in your mail client. If you look at the screen shot you can see that the older emails all display the sender's name in the list. Under the new system (just the topmost entry, shown selected) every email comes from "ntg-context@ntg.nl" which is completely useless when you want to visually scan down the list for a particular person.
>
> It doesn’t make sense to argue about this, but it’s apparently a setting (or unchangeable behavior) of your Email app.
>
> My Apple Mail 12.4 on Mojave shows the same message like attached (dark mode).

I'm on Big Sur and I don't get the "name via ntg-context" display for a single message that your screen clip shows, so it looks like there has been a change in behaviour of Apple's mail client as well.

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

       [not found]     ` <6811A172-A946-4B30-B792-F6D676C74363@icloud.com>
@ 2021-08-02  7:21     ` Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context
From: Taco Hoekwater via ntg-context @ 2021-08-02  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 31 Jul 2021, at 15:56, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>

> Ah, I didn’t recognize you mean this.
>
> Since the mail goes through the mailing list software, the sender must not be the original sender any more – ntg.nl is not allowed to send emails for a different domain. Many securely configured mail servers reject “faked” sender addresses, as they should. Look up DANE etc.

Which is exactly why that setting was changed. So yes, the change is on purpose.

Best wishes,
Taco

—
Taco Hoekwater              E: taco@bittext.nl