* RE: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 14:22 ishamid
From: ishamid @ 2004-08-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Patrick,

One suggestion for TeXshow-web:-)

The commands are all listed in alphabetical order, which is great. But one
good help would be an option ordering them by topic. For example, a while back
I needed a rotation command, and the manual does not discuss many of the
graphics capabilities of ConTeXt. I finally found \rotate combing through the
base files (it's not in cont-eni.pdf). It would be very useful to know all
such graphics commands in ConTeXt. The organization of the Reference Manual of
Lamport's book on LaTeX, or even the end-of-chapter command summaries of
cont-eni.pdf, is a good model for this. So if I am looking for a graphics
command I can look purely alphabetically as it is now, as well as topically,
which is sometimes more useful.

A related point; in ConTeXt the bar <|> is an active character, which is not
Plain behavior. A list of these little special characters would be useful as
well, especially for macro writers, etc.

In any case, this list of commands is a great contribution, and a topical
organization would make it greater:=)

All the best
Idris

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 22:51 ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2004-08-04 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:

>The commands are all listed in alphabetical order, which is great. But one
>good help would be an option ordering them by topic. For example, a while back
>I needed a rotation command, and the manual does not discuss many of the
>graphics capabilities of ConTeXt. I finally found \rotate combing through the

so ... not you can write a myway about it -)

those chapters are not yet added to the big manual (some of it is in the
old versions; i have to rework them a bit)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-05  1:39   ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2004-08-05  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:51:13AM +0200, Hans Hagen Outside wrote:
> so ... not you can write a myway about it -)

I seem to have lost my link to the existing MyWays, if I ever had
one.  Where can I find them?

Thanks,
- Brooks

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-05  8:58     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-08-05  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I seem to have lost my link to the existing MyWays, if I ever had
> one.  Where can I find them?

Existing MyWays are nowhere collected. (Planned at
http://contextgarden.net/The_ConTeXt_Way)
"ThisWay"s are at http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 10:57       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-04 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>>Two weeks ago and again two days ago I asked Patrick what to do if I
>>want to write some macro description but the macro is not present in
>>texshow. But no response I have received yet. So the above Patrick's
>>annoucement is a bit funny for me ;-)
>>

>This also raises another problem: what to do if the syntax definition is wrong?
>
>The very first definition is wrong: \about's syntax  is
>	\about [ref]
>not
>	\about {text} [ref]
>
>I fixed that in the garden, but will that new definition be destroyed at the
>next automatic update? (my change also didn't update the display, btw.)

best send such patches to me, or maybe collect them as comment so that they can be fed back to me

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2004-08-04 10:42       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-04 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> Hello Vit,
>
> Well, I have receieved your message, but was too busy on
> context-live. Your message is still in my inbox and I will work on
> texshow-web this week. Your suggestion is not that trivial, since I
 > Patrick

All right, I understand that.

 > > \definelayer[name][...,=,...]
 > > \setlayer[name][...,=,...]{text}
 >
 > > Can you add them, please? Or there is another way how to do it?

 > i have to do that to the main file; since layers are relatively new i
 > didn't do it yet, but i'll put it on my todo list -)
 > Hans

Great!
Vit

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 10:13   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2004-08-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>http://live.contextgarden.net
>
> one thing to add: I'd appreciate any kind of comments, since I have
> only tested it with safari and old versions of mozilla. If you think
> that there is anything strange, don't hesitate to tell me! And don't
> rely on your impression that others will do so, so there would no
> need for feedback.
>
> Patrick

Here is what I wrote yesterday, but haven't sent yet :)
Did I send this accidentaly ? :) :) :)

It's a great service, it would just make sense to connect the wiki and
code rendering, so that the code written would be automatically
"copy-pasted" in the window (or any other mechanism to enable quick
acces to the documents described in wiki).

Well done again,
	Mojca Miklavec

***   ***   ***   ***   ***

1.) WIKI

1.1.) It would make sense to add a link to CenTeXt wiki from
www.pragma-ade.com

1.2.) http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/latexrender.zip
is an example of a tool which (as long as I have seen and understood it
correctly) does nothing else but wrapping a (LaTeX) code, executing it
and cropping the relevant part into PNG image. There are already modules
for PHPBB and wiki. I guess it wouldn't take so much additional effort
to enable some excelent feature to both the ConTeXt and texshow wiki:
* rendering image as an example of the effect of the code written there

For example, if someone would write:
    [context]
    a couple of lines of context code
    [/context]

it would be shown as the code as well as a PNG image showing the result
and perhaps an additional link to the PDF document rendered.

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 10:12     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2004-08-04 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04 10:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-04 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vit Zyka wrote:

> > i have noticed that the next group of macros is missing in the
> > texshow-web:
>
> > \definelayer[name][...,=,...]
> > \setlayer[name][...,=,...]{text}
>
> > Can you add them, please? Or there is another way how to do it?

i have to do that to the main file; since layers are relatively new i didn't do it yet, but i'll put it on my todo list -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Re: new stuff for brave users
@ 2004-08-04  9:55   ` Vit Zyka
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-08-04  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>http://live.contextgarden.net
>
> one thing to add: I'd appreciate any kind of comments, since I have
> only tested it with safari and old versions of mozilla. If you think
> that there is anything strange, don't hesitate to tell me! And don't
> rely on your impression that others will do so, so there would no
> need for feedback.
>
> Patrick

Hmmm. Contextgarden with texshow are great ideas and tools for making
usage of ConTeXt easier. So I desided to fill some contents occasionally.

Two weeks ago and again two days ago I asked Patrick what to do if I
want to write some macro description but the macro is not present in
texshow. But no response I have received yet. So the above Patrick's
annoucement is a bit funny for me ;-)

OK, I ask here in the list again, see bellow.

Cheers
Vit Zyka