* Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
@ 2016-07-31 10:57 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2016-07-31 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

In the setupfile of my project I have \mainlanguage[en]. The font used is Verdana.
With mkiv versions till october 2015 the hyphenation of English words was always correct.

The same files compiled with mkiv of july 2016 (version 2016.07.18 16;26) give hyphenations that are definitely wrong.
Some examples: begi-nning, pr-ocedure, adequ-ately, st-yle

I made some tests with Linux Libertine sans and here also the earlier mkiv's gave correct hyphenations, the july version wrong ones.

So it seems that ref. hyphenation something is wrong with this mkiv-version.  Or do I now have to use something other than  \mainlanguage[en] ?

BTW, I found a similar discussion on this list at the beginning of february. Apparently the problem either was not solved or has returned.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
@ 2016-07-31 14:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-07-31 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/31/2016 12:57 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In the setupfile of my project I have \mainlanguage[en]. The font used is Verdana.
> With mkiv versions till october 2015 the hyphenation of English words was always correct.
>
> The same files compiled with mkiv of july 2016 (version 2016.07.18 16;26) give hyphenations that are definitely wrong.
> Some examples: begi-nning, pr-ocedure, adequ-ately, st-yle
>
> I made some tests with Linux Libertine sans and here also the earlier mkiv's gave correct hyphenations, the july version wrong ones.
>
> So it seems that ref. hyphenation something is wrong with this mkiv-version.  Or do I now have to use something other than  \mainlanguage[en] ?

no example so no solution

Hans

* Re: Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
@ 2016-07-31 18:40   ` Jan Willem Flamma
From: Jan Willem Flamma @ 2016-07-31 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I can confirm it behaves incorrectly on ConTeXt  ver: 2016.07.30 00:26 MKIV beta

Below a MWE with some example sentences where the words schematic, maintenance and integrated are incorrect hyphenated

\mainlanguage[en]
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]

\setuplayout
    [height=middle,
     width=middle,
     backspace=1.25in,
     topspace=0.5in,
     headerdistance=0cm]

\definefontfamily [mainface] [sans]  [DejaVu Sans]
\setupbodyfont[mainface,sans,9pt]

\starttext
The following gives a sequence of events describing what happens when the ram close function is activated from one of the control panels. Figure 4.9 provides a simplified schematic of the hydraulic control system for activating the ram close function.

Test programs can include visual inspections, functional operations, pressure tests, maintenance practices and drills.

Subsea BOP systems include choke and kill lines built into the BOP stack and LMRP and integrated with the marine riser system.
\stoptext

Kind regards,
Jan Willem Flamma

@ 2016-07-31 19:06     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-07-31 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/31/2016 08:40 PM, Jan Willem Flamma wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I can confirm it behaves incorrectly on ConTeXt  ver: 2016.07.30 00:26 MKIV beta

Hi Jan Willem,

are patterns for Brittish English better?

    \starttext
    \hyphenatedword{schematic, maintenance and integrated
                    beginning procedure adequately style}

    \uk\hyphenatedword{schematic, maintenance and integrated
                       beginning procedure adequately style}
    \stoptext

Sorry, but English hyphenation is too tricky for me.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
@ 2016-08-01  7:22       ` Jan Willem Flamma
From: Jan Willem Flamma @ 2016-08-01  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Pablo,

I wasn’t aware of the \hyphenatedword feature. Thanks for sharing.

I used an online hyphenation tool (English US) because it’s too tricky for me too!
Using English UK the words maintenance and integrated are indeed correctly hyphenated. So I jumped to conclusions there.

What remains is that ‘schematic' is incorrectly hyphenated as 'sc-hematic’.
Another example is the word ‘cards’, which I see hyphenated as 'ca-rds’ but I’m unable to reproduce it in a MWE for now.

Regards,
Jan Willem

@ 2016-08-01  7:45         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-01  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/1/2016 9:22 AM, Jan Willem Flamma wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> I wasn’t aware of the \hyphenatedword feature. Thanks for sharing.

 >mtxrun --script patterns --hyphenate schematic

hyphenator      |
hyphenator      | . s c h e m a t i c .   . s c h e m a t i c .
hyphenator      |  0s0c0h2                 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
hyphenator      |    2c0h0                 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
hyphenator      |    0c0h0e2               0 2 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0
hyphenator      |          1m0a0           0 2 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 0
hyphenator      |            0a0t1i0c0     0 2 0 2 2 0 0 1 0 0
hyphenator      | .0s2c0h2e2m0a0t1i0c0.   . s c h e m a t-i c .
hyphenator      |
mtx-patterns    | us 3 3 : schematic : schematic

@ 2016-08-01  8:28         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-01  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/1/2016 9:22 AM, Jan Willem Flamma wrote:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> I wasn’t aware of the \hyphenatedword feature. Thanks for sharing.
>
> I used an online hyphenation tool (English US) because it’s too tricky for me too!
> Using English UK the words maintenance and integrated are indeed correctly hyphenated. So I jumped to conclusions there.
>
> What remains is that ‘schematic' is incorrectly hyphenated as 'sc-hematic’.
> Another example is the word ‘cards’, which I see hyphenated as 'ca-rds’ but I’m unable to reproduce it in a MWE for now.

maybe wrong hyphenation min values?

* Re: Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
@ 2016-08-01 13:32           ` Herbert Voss
From: Herbert Voss @ 2016-08-01 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 01.08.2016 um 09:45 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> On 8/1/2016 9:22 AM, Jan Willem Flamma wrote:
>> Hi Pablo,
>>
>> I wasn’t aware of the \hyphenatedword feature. Thanks for sharing.
>
>>mtxrun --script patterns --hyphenate schematic

Can I change the language or do I have to choose a specific
pattern file?

Herbert

@ 2016-08-01 13:55             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/1/2016 3:32 PM, Herbert Voss wrote:
> Am 01.08.2016 um 09:45 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 8/1/2016 9:22 AM, Jan Willem Flamma wrote:
>>> Hi Pablo,
>>>
>>> I wasn’t aware of the \hyphenatedword feature. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>> mtxrun --script patterns --hyphenate schematic
>
> Can I change the language or do I have to choose a specific
> pattern file?

--language=de

(it uses context pattern databases but these use regular patterns)

@ 2016-08-02 13:15           ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-08-02 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/02/2016 01:58 PM, Henri Menke wrote:
>>[...]
>> Linux 32bit has luatex-0.95 and I get wrong hyphenations.
>
> I have LuaTeX, Version 0.95.0 (TeX Live 2016) on openSUSE 13.2
> (Harlequin) (x86_64) and correct hyphenations. [...]

Hi Henri,

could you try the hyphenation with ConTeXt Standalone for 32bit?

The issue might be related to 32bit architecture.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
@ 2016-08-02 11:58         ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-08-02 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/01/2016 06:13 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 08/01/2016 02:39 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Am Mon, 01 Aug 2016 11:52:11 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>>
>>> The wrong hyphenation happens also with the default font.
>>>
>>> %\startexceptions[en]
>>> %    would syn-the-size enu-mer-ate
>>> %\stopexceptions
>>>
>>> \starttext \hsize=1mm
>>> would synthesize enumerate
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> On windows the hyphenation is correct, I just updated context and
>> tested.
>>
>> (I get errors in the example with the simplefonts module, probably I
>> didn't update the module correctly).
>
> Hans,
>
> would it be possible that only Windows has the latest LuaTeX binary
> (0.98.0)?
>
> Linux 32bit has luatex-0.95 and I get wrong hyphenations.

I have LuaTeX, Version 0.95.0 (TeX Live 2016) on openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64) and correct hyphenations.  Wolfgangs minimal example

\starttext \hsize=1mm
would synthesize enumerate
\stoptext

produces

would
syn-
the-
size
enu-
mer-
ate

which is what pdfTeX produces as well for a similar example.

       [not found] <mailman.852.1470055202.6154.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2016-08-02  7:16 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2016-08-02  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1 Aug 2016, at 14:40 , Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
> To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Hyphenation errors (again or still) in
> 	recent mkiv
>
> On 8/1/2016 11:52 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> Robert Blackstone <mailto:blackstone.robert@gmail.com>
>>> 1. August 2016 um 11:02
>>> On 31 Jul 2016, at 21:06 , Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
>>>

>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> Here is an example:
>>>
>>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>>
>>> \mainlanguage[en]
>>> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>> \setmainfont[Verdana]
>>> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
>>> \contextversion
>>> \showgrid
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \input knuth
>>> \medskip
>>> \input tufte
>>> \stoptext
>> The wrong hyphenation happens also with the default font.
>>
>> %\startexceptions[en]
>> %    would syn-the-size enu-mer-ate
>> %\stopexceptions
>>
>> \starttext \hsize=1mm
>> would synthesize enumerate
>> \stoptext
>
> just wondering, as on my machine and luigi's things run ok .. can this
> be a osx binary issue?
>
> Hans

My apologies for not answering this particular question, other than by saying that indeed I work on a Mac, two in fact, one with  OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks, the other on OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan.
No difference in this respect: they produce the same hyphenation errors in an English text.

To complicate (perhaps) matters a bit: I did some tests with German, French and Italian texts. Compilation with different mkiv - versions produced no differences and no hyphenation errors.
So far I found hyhpenation errors only in English texts compiled with recent mkiv's  on a Mac.

I hope this helps to find a remedy.

@ 2016-08-01 16:13       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2016-08-01 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-08-01 12:39     ` Ulrike Fischer
From: Ulrike Fischer @ 2016-08-01 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Mon, 01 Aug 2016 11:52:11 +0200 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:

> The wrong hyphenation happens also with the default font.
>
> %\startexceptions[en]
> %    would syn-the-size enu-mer-ate
> %\stopexceptions
>
> \starttext \hsize=1mm
> would synthesize enumerate
> \stoptext

On windows the hyphenation is correct, I just updated context and
tested.

(I get errors in the example with the simplefonts module, probably I
didn't update the module correctly).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/

* Re: Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
       [not found] <mailman.1.1470045601.2927.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2016-08-01 10:57 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2016-08-01 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1 Aug 2016, at 12:00 , Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

>>> no example so no solution
>>>
>>> Hans
>>

>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> Here is an example:
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>> \mainlanguage[en]
>> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>> \setmainfont[Verdana]
>> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
>> \contextversion
>> \showgrid
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input knuth
>> \medskip
>> \input tufte
>> \stoptext
>>
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>> With mkiv version 2015.10.09 21:28 there are no hyphenation errors.
>> With mkiv version 2016.07.18 16:46 the following errors occur: wo-uld (line 6), synth-esize (line 13), enum-erate (line 18)
>> I mentioned some more errors in my original mail, see above.
>
> I get
>
> Thus, I came to the conclusion that the designer of a new system must
> not only be
> the implementer and first large--scale user; the designer should also
> write the first
> user manual.
> The separation of any of these four components would have hurt T E X
> significantly. If
> I had not participated fully in all these activities, literally hundreds
> of improvements
> would never have been made, because I would never have thought of them
> or per-
> ceived why they were important.
> But a system cannot be successful if it is too strongly influenced by a
> single person.
> Once the initial design is complete and fairly robust, the real test
> begins as people
> with many different viewpoints undertake their own experiments.
> We thrive in information--thick worlds because of our marvelous and
> everyday ca-
> pacity to select, edit, single out, structure, highlight, group, pair,
> merge, harmo-
> nize, synthesize, focus, organize, condense, reduce, boil down, choose,
> categorize,
> catalog, classify, list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize, isolate,
> discriminate, dis-
> tinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over, sort, integrate, blend,
> inspect, filter, lump,
> skip, smooth, chunk, average, approximate, cluster, aggregate, outline,
> summarize,
> itemize, review, dip into, flip through, browse, glance into, leaf
> through, skim, re-
> fine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat from the chaff and
> separate the
> sheep from the goats.

Hi Hans,
I'm afraid I'm lost here.
When I copy what you write you get and paste it into my example I still get, with Verdana 10 pt, no hyphenation errors with mkiv version 2015.10.09 21:28 and some with mkiv version 2016.07.18 16:46: marv-elous and di-scriminate.

So doesn't it show that at least the two mkiv-versions differ in this respect and that when using the new version something extra or different has to be done in the setups to get the correct hyphenations?
Fortunately I still have kept some of the older ConTeXt-versions, so my project will not suffer from hyphenation error. But I suspect that reliance on older versions should not have to be necessary.

@ 2016-08-01 10:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-01 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2016-08-01  9:52   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2016-08-01  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Robert Blackstone <mailto:blackstone.robert@gmail.com>
> 1. August 2016 um 11:02
> On 31 Jul 2016, at 21:06 , Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
>

> Hi Hans,
>
> Here is an example:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \mainlanguage[en]
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[Verdana]
> \setupbodyfont[10pt]
> \contextversion
> \showgrid
>
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \medskip
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
The wrong hyphenation happens also with the default font.

%\startexceptions[en]
%    would syn-the-size enu-mer-ate
%\stopexceptions

\starttext \hsize=1mm
would synthesize enumerate
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Hyphenation errors (again or still) in recent mkiv
@ 2016-08-01  9:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-08-01  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

       [not found] <mailman.839.1469991963.6154.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2016-08-01  9:02 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2016-08-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 31 Jul 2016, at 21:06 ,  Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

> On 7/31/2016 12:57 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> In the setupfile of my project I have \mainlanguage[en]. The font used is Verdana.
>> With mkiv versions till october 2015 the hyphenation of English words was always correct.
>>
>> The same files compiled with mkiv of july 2016 (version 2016.07.18 16;26) give hyphenations that are definitely wrong.
>> Some examples: begi-nning, pr-ocedure, adequ-ately, st-yle
>>
>> I made some tests with Linux Libertine sans and here also the earlier mkiv's gave correct hyphenations, the july version wrong ones.
>>
>> So it seems that ref. hyphenation something is wrong with this mkiv-version.  Or do I now have to use something other than  \mainlanguage[en] ?
>
> no example so no solution
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

Here is an example: