* OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21  8:05 Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-07-21  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've adapted the complete luatex/markiv typescript example at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mark_IV#Opentype_features
for FF Kievit Pro I. It works quiet nice out of the box (aaah, nomore
fiddling with font installation!).

\starttypescript [sans] [kievit]

    \definefontsynonym [KievitProRegular]         [name:KievitPro-Regular]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [KievitProMedium]          [name:KievitPro-Medium]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [KievitProExtraBold]       [name:KievitPro-ExtraBold]
[features=default]

    \definefontsynonym [KievitProItalic]          [name:KievitPro-Italic]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [KievitProMediumItalic]
[name:KievitPro-MediumItalic]    [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [KievitProExtraBoldItalic]
[name:KievitPro-ExtraBoldItalic] [features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [kievit]

    \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [KievitProRegular]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]      [KievitProItalic]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SansBold]        [KievitProMedium]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [SansItalic]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SansBoldSlanted] [SansBoldItalic]
[features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Sans]
[features=smallcaps]

\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[kievit][rm][sans][kievit][default]
\definetypeface[kievit][ss][sans][kievit][default]
\definetypeface[kievit][tt][mono][modern]  [default][rscale=1.12]
\definetypeface[kievit][mm][math][iwona]   [default][rscale=1.02]

\setupbodyfont[kievit,ss,10pt]

Now \bf \it works perfectly well but \sc doesn't. Do I need some extra
definition?

Best regards,
Ulrich

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21  8:38 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-21  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Ulrich Dirr <ud@mucschach.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've adapted the complete luatex/markiv typescript example at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mark_IV#Opentype_features
> for FF Kievit Pro I. It works quiet nice out of the box (aaah, nomore
> fiddling with font installation!).
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [kievit]
>
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProRegular]         [name:KievitPro-Regular] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProMedium]          [name:KievitPro-Medium] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProExtraBold]       [name:KievitPro-ExtraBold] [features=default]
>
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProItalic]          [name:KievitPro-Italic] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProMediumItalic] [name:KievitPro-MediumItalic]    [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProExtraBoldItalic] [name:KievitPro-ExtraBoldItalic] [features=default]
>
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [kievit]
>
>    \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [KievitProRegular] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]      [KievitProItalic] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansBold]        [KievitProMedium] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [SansItalic] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansBoldSlanted] [SansBoldItalic] [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Sans] [features=smallcaps]
>
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definetypeface[kievit][rm][sans][kievit][default]
> \definetypeface[kievit][ss][sans][kievit][default]
> \definetypeface[kievit][tt][mono][modern]  [default][rscale=1.12]
> \definetypeface[kievit][mm][math][iwona]   [default][rscale=1.02]
>
> \setupbodyfont[kievit,ss,10pt]
>
> Now \bf \it works perfectly well but \sc doesn't. Do I need some extra
> definition?

Place this at the top of your typescript

\definefontfeature[latin-smallcaps][smallcaps][script=latn]

and replace "smallcaps" in the following line with "latin-smallcaps".

\definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Sans] [features=smallcaps]

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21  9:09 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-07-21  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Ulrich Dirr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've adapted the complete luatex/markiv typescript example at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mark_IV#Opentype_features
> for FF Kievit Pro I. It works quiet nice out of the box (aaah, nomore
> fiddling with font installation!).
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [kievit]
>
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProRegular]         [name:KievitPro-Regular]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProMedium]          [name:KievitPro-Medium]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProExtraBold]       [name:KievitPro-ExtraBold]
> [features=default]
>
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProItalic]          [name:KievitPro-Italic]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProMediumItalic]
> [name:KievitPro-MediumItalic]    [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [KievitProExtraBoldItalic]
> [name:KievitPro-ExtraBoldItalic] [features=default]
>
> \stoptypescript
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [kievit]
>
>    \definefontsynonym [Sans]            [KievitProRegular]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]      [KievitProItalic]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansBold]        [KievitProMedium]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansSlanted]     [SansItalic]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansBoldSlanted] [SansBoldItalic]
> [features=default]
>    \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Sans]
> [features=smallcaps]
>
> \stoptypescript
>
> \definetypeface[kievit][rm][sans][kievit][default]
> \definetypeface[kievit][ss][sans][kievit][default]
> \definetypeface[kievit][tt][mono][modern]  [default][rscale=1.12]
> \definetypeface[kievit][mm][math][iwona]   [default][rscale=1.02]
>
> \setupbodyfont[kievit,ss,10pt]
>
> Now \bf \it works perfectly well but \sc doesn't. Do I need some extra
> definition?

I'm only guessing without trying:

You have

\definefontsynonym [KievitProRegular] [name:KievitPro-Regular]
[features=default]
\definefontsynonym [Sans] [KievitProRegular] [features=default]
\definefontsynonym [SansCaps] [Sans] [features=smallcaps]

I suspect that "features=default" is taking precedence (ask Hans once
he's back about the phylosophy behind this mechanism). I don't say
that it should be that way, but for the moment try to define a new
font instance with "features=smallcaps" from the beginning.

Something like:

\definefontsynonym [KievitProRegularCaps] [name:KievitPro-Regular]
[features=smallcaps]

\definefontsynonym [SansCaps] [KievitProRegularCaps]

You also have \addfontfeature available where you can enable small
caps. To be honest, \sc could work without so much trickery in XeTeX
and LuaTeX (it could simply add +smcp to the current font), but
definition of \sc has not been adapted to work like that yet.

Mojca

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21  9:32   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-21  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 21, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I'm only guessing without trying:
>
> You have
>
> \definefontsynonym [KievitProRegular] [name:KievitPro-Regular]
> [features=default]
> \definefontsynonym [Sans] [KievitProRegular] [features=default]
> \definefontsynonym [SansCaps] [Sans] [features=smallcaps]
>
> I suspect that "features=default" is taking precedence (ask Hans once
> he's back about the phylosophy behind this mechanism). I don't say
> that it should be that way, but for the moment try to define a new
> font instance with "features=smallcaps" from the beginning.

I just tested this with one of my fonts. I'm sure that this method
used to work; it was the recommended way to enable smallcaps; it
doesn't work anymore, and neither does the method you suggest, Mojca.
So I guess something is broken in the current version of luatex or
mkiv. I'm afraid this will have to wait till Hans and Taco are back.

Thomas

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21  9:37   ` Diego Depaoli
From: Diego Depaoli @ 2008-07-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/7/21 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:

> Place this at the top of your typescript
>
> \definefontfeature[latin-smallcaps][smallcaps][script=latn]
>
> and replace "smallcaps" in the following line with "latin-smallcaps".
>
> \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Sans] [features=smallcaps]

We have to do something for fonts :-)

--
Diego Depaoli

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21  9:46     ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-07-21  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Really, let's try to update/increase docs.

I'm sorry, I know I'm asking other people to work for me.
To be clear, I'm quite grateful to devs and helpers (and I'd really
like to come to Bohinj...), but IMHO it does not make much sense to
keep on posting code snippets without giving general infos on what's
going on.
So that people simply copy and paste them without understanding
what's going on. "Is it working?" "No" "Ah, then try with this" etc
It's pretty evident that fonts are a problematic issue.

At the moment, I'm blocked with the project I have to develop for
university. Waiting for light.

Best

-a-

On 21 Jul 2008, at 11:37, Diego Depaoli wrote:

> 2008/7/21 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>>
>> Place this at the top of your typescript
>>
>> \definefontfeature[latin-smallcaps][smallcaps][script=latn]
>>
>> and replace "smallcaps" in the following line with "latin-smallcaps".
>>
>> \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Sans] [features=smallcaps]
>>

> We have to do something for fonts :-)
>
> --
> Diego Depaoli
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"
Think of it as seasoning
. noise [salt] is boring
. F(blah) [food without salt] can be boring
. F(noise, blah) can be really tasty
"
(Ken Perlin on noise)

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21 16:28   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-21 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> caps. To be honest, \sc could work without so much trickery in XeTeX
> and LuaTeX (it could simply add +smcp to the current font), but
> definition of \sc has not been adapted to work like that yet.

Following a suggestion on this list, I sometimes use

\def\sc{\setfontfeature{smallcaps}}

Aditya

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-21 17:17   ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-07-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

this works perfectly well, thanks.

@ 2008-07-23  7:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-23  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/7/21 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>:
>>
>> Place this at the top of your typescript
>>
>> \definefontfeature[latin-smallcaps][smallcaps][script=latn]
>>
>> and replace "smallcaps" in the following line with "latin-smallcaps".
>>
>> \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]        [Sans] [features=smallcaps]
>
> We have to do something for fonts :-)

The question is why "script=latn" was removed from the "default",
"smallcaps" and "oldstyle" features.

Wolfgang

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-27 12:53       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:
> Really, let's try to update/increase docs.

I will try (with a lot of help from Hans of course) to update and
release a new version of mfonts.pdf before the meeting in Bohinj.

Sorry (I understand you are stuck) but an overnight solution is
just not possible.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: OpenType beginners question
@ 2008-07-30 21:53         ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-07-30 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Taco for your efforts.

BTW, I will try to contribute to the new doc project. (well, I have
svn from a while, but this is the occasion to understand how to use
it :)

-a-

@ 2008-07-31  9:58           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-07-31  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 juil. 08, at 23:53, Andrea Valle wrote:

> Thanks Taco for your efforts.
>
> BTW, I will try to contribute to the new doc project. (well, I have
> svn from a while, but this is the occasion to understand how to use
> it :)

Hi Andrea,

If you are on MacOS X, you can use SvnX, a free application:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/svnx.html

I have used it to checkout the latest versions of LuaTeX and XeTeX: it
works fine and is quite user friendly.

Best regards: OK