* Re: More on margin figs
       [not found] <4EBB8C0D-4478-4668-8181-8E0B5265710B@cox.net>
@ 2006-03-27 11:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-03-27 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Hans, I sent this to the list a couple of days ago. I'm wondering if
> you saw it, or if it is actually a bug that will take some time to
> fix. Or, alternatively, am I missing the point?
>
> Hans et al,
>
> Maybe I am missing the point, but this example has output that is
> unexpected. There's a huge block of whitespace, that coincidentally
> continues to the bottom of the caption on the margin fig.
you, being a mathematician, should not dismiss this too fast as being a  coincident -) it's expected behaviour, imagine that you have two side floats ...

you can tell the float handler to forget about the sidefloat state by saying

\placefigure
  [inright,reset]
  [fig:graphmap]
  {A mapping diagram for $f$.}
  {\externalfigure[graph1][width=\marginwidth]}

(low level commands are \forgetsidefloats etc)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: More on margin figs
@ 2006-03-27 15:45   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-03-27 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Worked beautifully!

Thanks.

On Mar 27, 2006, at 3:39 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>> Hans, I sent this to the list a couple of days ago. I'm wondering if
>> you saw it, or if it is actually a bug that will take some time to
>> fix. Or, alternatively, am I missing the point?
>>
>> Hans et al,
>>
>> Maybe I am missing the point, but this example has output that is
>> unexpected. There's a huge block of whitespace, that coincidentally
>> continues to the bottom of the caption on the margin fig.
> you, being a mathematician, should not dismiss this too fast as
> being a  coincident -) it's expected behaviour, imagine that you
> have two side floats ...
>
> you can tell the float handler to forget about the sidefloat state
> by saying
>
> \placefigure
>   [inright,reset]
>   [fig:graphmap]
>   {A mapping diagram for $f$.}
>   {\externalfigure[graph1][width=\marginwidth]}
>
> (low level commands are \forgetsidefloats etc)
>
> Hans

* More on margin figs
@ 2006-03-24 20:07 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-03-24 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans et al,

Maybe I am missing the point, but this example has output that is
unexpected. There's a huge block of whitespace, that coincidentally
continues to the bottom of the caption on the margin fig.

Is this correct behavior? I thought if I put a margin fig out there,
then the text should flow uninterrupted.

%output=pdf

\setupwhitespace[medium]

\setupindenting[medium,yes]

\definereferenceformat[infigure][text=Figure]

\defineenumeration[definition]

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext

Readers will note that each object in the domain is paired with one
and only one object in the range, as seen in the mapping diagram of
\infigure[fig:graphmap].

\placefigure
[inright][fig:graphmap]
{A mapping diagram for $f$.}
{\externalfigure[graph1][width=\marginwidth]}

Thus, we have two representations of the function $f$, the collection
of ordered pairs \in[collection], and the mapping diagram of
in \infigure[fig:graphmap]. A third representation of the function $f$
is the graph of the ordered pairs of the function, shown in the
Cartesian plane in \infigure[fig:graphmap2].

\placefigure
[][fig:graphmap2]
{A graph of the function $f$.}{\externalfigure[graph2]}

When the function is represented by an equation or formula, then we
adjust our definition somewhat.

\startdefinition[def:graf]
The graph of $f$ is the set of all ordered pairs $(x,f(x))$ so that
$x$ is in the domain of $f$. In symbols,

\startformula
\hbox{Graph of $f$}=\big\{(x,f(x)):\,\hbox{$x$ is in the domain of $f
\stopformula
\stopdefinition

This last definition is most easily explained by example. So, let's
define a function $f$ that maps any real number $x$ to the real number
$x^2$; that is, let $f(x)=x^2$. Now, according to
\in{Definition}[def:graf], the graph of $f$ is the set of all points
$(x,f(x))$, such that $x$ is in the domain of $f$.

\stoptext