* integral symbol
@ 2016-12-28 10:39 Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2016-12-28 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
The integral symbol is little in inline math mode. Is it possible to have
it bigger ?
thank you,
Fabrice

\definetypeface [mainface] [rm]
   [serif] [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]

\definetypeface [mainface] [ss]
   [sans]  [helvetica]   [default]   [encoding=texnansi]

\definetypeface [mainface] [tt]
   [mono]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]

\definetypeface [mainface] [mm]
   [math]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]

\starttext

L'aire hachurée se note \math{\int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}}.

L'aire hachurée se note :

\startformula
  \int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}.
\stopformula

\stoptext

* Re: integral symbol
@ 2016-12-28 11:19 ` Henri Menke
From: Henri Menke @ 2016-12-28 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/28/2016 11:39 AM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> Hello,
> The integral symbol is little in inline math mode. Is it possible to have it bigger ?
> thank you,
> Fabrice
>
> \definetypeface [mainface] [rm]
>    [serif] [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \definetypeface [mainface] [ss]
>    [sans]  [helvetica]   [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \definetypeface [mainface] [tt]
>    [mono]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \definetypeface [mainface] [mm]
>    [math]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> L'aire hachurée se note \math{\int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}}.

\math{\displaystyle\int_1^3 k(x)\diff x}

> L'aire hachurée se note :
>
> \startformula
>   \int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}.
> \stopformula
>
> \stoptext

* Re: integral symbol
@ 2016-12-28 13:02   ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2016-12-28 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Henri,
Thank you for your suggestion.
Fabrice

> On 12/28/2016 11:39 AM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> > Hello,
> > The integral symbol is little in inline math mode. Is it possible to
> have it bigger ?
> > thank you,
> > Fabrice
> >
> > \definetypeface [mainface] [rm]
> >    [serif] [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
> >
> > \definetypeface [mainface] [ss]
> >    [sans]  [helvetica]   [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
> >
> > \definetypeface [mainface] [tt]
> >    [mono]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
> >
> > \definetypeface [mainface] [mm]
> >    [math]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
> >
> > \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
> >
> > \starttext
> >
> > L'aire hachurée se note \math{\int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}}.
>
> \math{\displaystyle\int_1^3 k(x)\diff x}
>

> > L'aire hachurée se note :
> >
> > \startformula
> >   \int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}.
> > \stopformula
> >
> > \stoptext

> _______________________

* Re: integral symbol
@ 2016-12-28 16:42     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-12-28 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/28/2016 2:02 PM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> Hi Henri,
> Thank you for your suggestion.

The problem with integrals is that they don't adapt because they are not
wrapped as delimiters (like left/right stuff). If \int were a command
taking an argument it would be easier. As in:

\starttext

\setupmathextensible[integral][rightoffset=-3mu,exact=yes,factor=2]

\startlines
\ruledhbox{$\integral           f\frac{1}{2}$}
\ruledhbox{$\integral[factor=1] f\frac{1}{2}$}
\ruledhbox{$\integral[factor=3] f\frac{1}{2}$}
\stoplines

\startformula
     a =
     \autointegral{t}{b}1 +
     \autointegral{t}{b}{\frac{\frac{3}{4}}{\frac{1}{2}}} +
     \autointegral{t}{b}{\frac{\frac{\frac{\frac{1}{2}}{2}}{2}}{2}}
\stopformula

\stoptext

> Fabrice

> <mailto:henrimenke@gmail.com>>:
>
>     On 12/28/2016 11:39 AM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
>     > Hello,
>     > The integral symbol is little in inline math mode. Is it possible to have it bigger ?
>     > thank you,
>     > Fabrice
>     >
>     > \definetypeface [mainface] [rm]
>     >    [serif] [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>     >
>     > \definetypeface [mainface] [ss]
>     >    [sans]  [helvetica]   [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>     >
>     > \definetypeface [mainface] [tt]
>     >    [mono]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>     >
>     > \definetypeface [mainface] [mm]
>     >    [math]  [palatino]    [default]   [encoding=texnansi]
>     >
>     > \setupbodyfont[mainface,11pt]
>     >
>     > \starttext
>     >
>     > L'aire hachurée se note \math{\int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}}.
>
>     \math{\displaystyle\int_1^3 k(x)\diff x}
>
>     >
>     > L'aire hachurée se note :
>     >
>     > \startformula
>     >   \int_1^3 k(x)\mathop{dx}.
>     > \stopformula
>     >
>     > \stoptext
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >

* Re: integral symbol
@ 2016-12-28 17:14       ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2016-12-28 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Hi list,

This is similar to what we have discussed earlier on this list and
elsewhere regarding \over vs. \frac. (I agree with Knuth that {a \over
b} is *much* more readable in running source code than \frac{a}{b} but
have resigned myself to use \frac{}{}, as this can be made better
behaved and gives a much better result.)

Other traditional TeX constructs like \int^a_b have their charm (and
need to remain supported, just like is \over), but I support
introducing and encouraging the use of new constructs like your example
below. An alternative syntax (that could co-exist) would be admitting
$\left\int ... \right.$, but I do not know what limitations there might
be with both the (luatex) engine and with ConTeXt.

The problem with extensions, like always, in straying from traditional
TeX is interchangeability of code, or, more importantly, in the
learning curve obstacles that this introduces to traditional TeX (and
LaTeX) thinking. I know that at some level we do not care, for we often
make (good) design choices that improve the syntax of ConTeXt.

Perhaps we can use this thread to discuss other cases (like \sum, ...)
that present difficulties and then decide on good solutions.

Just a suggestion.

Alan

--
Alan Braslau
CEA DSM-IRAMIS-SPEC

* Re: integral symbol
@ 2016-12-28 17:40         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-12-28 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/28/2016 6:14 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> Hi Hans, Hi list,
>
> This is similar to what we have discussed earlier on this list and
> elsewhere regarding \over vs. \frac. (I agree with Knuth that {a \over
> b} is *much* more readable in running source code than \frac{a}{b} but
> have resigned myself to use \frac{}{}, as this can be made better
> behaved and gives a much better result.)
>
> Other traditional TeX constructs like \int^a_b have their charm (and
> need to remain supported, just like is \over), but I support
> introducing and encouraging the use of new constructs like your example
> below. An alternative syntax (that could co-exist) would be admitting
> $\left\int ... \right.$, but I do not know what limitations there might
> be with both the (luatex) engine and with ConTeXt.

the tricky part there is that int has super and subscripts while left /
right are different animals ... i looked into this (in the engine) and
decided to delay implementing that (i might do it some day but it's sort
of tricky to keep compatibility)

also, ints are upright (extensible or stepwise sizes) or slanted
(stepwise sizes) so even if we support something there are some
limitations due to lack of font support (could be dealt with in due time)

> The problem with extensions, like always, in straying from traditional
> TeX is interchangeability of code, or, more importantly, in the
> learning curve obstacles that this introduces to traditional TeX (and
> LaTeX) thinking. I know that at some level we do not care, for we often
> make (good) design choices that improve the syntax of ConTeXt.
>
> Perhaps we can use this thread to discuss other cases (like \sum, ...)
> that present difficulties and then decide on good solutions.

sure ...

Hans

* Re: integral symbol
@ 2016-12-29 11:12           ` Fabrice Couvreur
From: Fabrice Couvreur @ 2016-12-29 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,
Thanks for your solution. I created a macro, is it "robust" ?
Fabrice

\setupmathextensible[integral][rightoffset=-3mu,exact=yes,factor=2]
\def\integ#1#2#3{\math{\autointegral{#1}{#2}{#3}\diff x}}

\starttext
 \integ{4}{1}{g(x)}
\stoptext

> On 12/28/2016 6:14 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
>
>> Hi Hans, Hi list,
>>
>> This is similar to what we have discussed earlier on this list and
>> elsewhere regarding \over vs. \frac. (I agree with Knuth that {a \over
>> b} is *much* more readable in running source code than \frac{a}{b} but
>> have resigned myself to use \frac{}{}, as this can be made better
>> behaved and gives a much better result.)
>>
>> Other traditional TeX constructs like \int^a_b have their charm (and
>> need to remain supported, just like is \over), but I support
>> introducing and encouraging the use of new constructs like your example
>> below. An alternative syntax (that could co-exist) would be admitting
>> $\left\int ... \right.$, but I do not know what limitations there might
>> be with both the (luatex) engine and with ConTeXt.
>>

> the tricky part there is that int has super and subscripts while left /
> right are different animals ... i looked into this (in the engine) and
> decided to delay implementing that (i might do it some day but it's sort of
> tricky to keep compatibility)
>
> also, ints are upright (extensible or stepwise sizes) or slanted (stepwise
> sizes) so even if we support something there are some limitations due to
> lack of font support (could be dealt with in due time)
>
> The problem with extensions, like always, in straying from traditional
>> TeX is interchangeability of code, or, more importantly, in the
>> learning curve obstacles that this introduces to traditional TeX (and
>> LaTeX) thinking. I know that at some level we do not care, for we often
>> make (good) design choices that improve the syntax of ConTeXt.
>>
>> Perhaps we can use this thread to discuss other cases (like \sum, ...)
>> that present difficulties and then decide on good solutions.
>>

> sure ...
>
> Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl
> _______________________
> the Wiki!
>
> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/list
> info/ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _______________________

* Re: integral symbol
@ 2016-12-29 12:06             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-12-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 12/29/2016 12:12 PM, Fabrice Couvreur wrote:
> Hi Hans,
> Thanks for your solution. I created a macro, is it "robust" ?
> Fabrice
>
> \setupmathextensible[integral][rightoffset=-3mu,exact=yes,factor=2]

\unexpanded