From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Carlos via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Software upgrade for ntg and contextgarden server 6 April
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2023 10:57:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On 4/15/2023 3:23 AM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> thank you Taco, Hans, and Aditya, Mikael, et
>
> Hans, I was just curious about your git strategy and wanted to ask you about something.

I have no strategy. I see it as just an offline repository and archive.

The luametatex repos sort of resembles what I have on my machine but
even then I always use intermediate 'compare before merge' steps that
predate git. Git (or svn) is nice for seeing changes but I admit that I
never roll-back using git. When I have to integrate something in e.g.
luametatex that comes from git I always diff (winmerge) and "manually
merge". So much for stragety: not that fancy.

The context updates are assembled from a completely different dev
structure (think also of temporary files, runtime files for manuals etc
that don't belong in something git) and turning that modus operandi into
something git would make my way of doing things pretty inefficient, so
unless very little changes etc happen i won't change that.

All the git magic is maintained by Mojca and occassionally we discuss
how to move on (we have some pending install-from-git stuff but that
might take a while before being promoted).

I'm not really interested in al the additional stuff like chats, pull
requests, keeping track of comments in git, all these (for me useless)
statistics. I don't want to end up in an endless 'check this or that'
noose, so for me email and communicating (could be visual) with some
involved does it well; more fun too.

For some other projects git(hub|lab) is a communication method,
basically an on-line storage.

> Did you guys ever consider having a cgit interface and hosting it.
>
> A bunch of projects have done it
>
> heck. Even git, which is where everything solely depends on in the end, is running it.
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/
>
> https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/about/
There is not much to gain with adding yet another interface to what we
have now. It only works if one or more people commit (no git pun
intended) themselves long-term to it which relates to ie beging used.

(Keep in mind that it's all volunteer work.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE