* disturbing the hyphenation mechanism
@ 2008-08-26 20:29 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-08-26 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

please have a look at the following – the "wondering" doesn't brake
anymore thanks to the "kern":

\starttext
\showframe

\enableregime[utf]

blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla „{\kern-0.025em}wondering

\stoptext

I have read an e-mail by Hans from 2003 when he said "well, it's just
like that".
But time has passed.

Is there a solution today in MkIV or even in MkII ?

Thank you,

Steffen

* Re: disturbing the hyphenation mechanism
@ 2008-08-27  6:46 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-27  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please have a look at the following – the "wondering" doesn't brake anymore
> thanks to the "kern":
>

> \starttext
> \showframe
>
> \enableregime[utf]
>
> blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla blablabla
> „{\kern-0.025em}wondering
>
> \stoptext
>

> I have read an e-mail by Hans from 2003 when he said "well, it's just like
> that".
> But time has passed.
>
> Is there a solution today in MkIV or even in MkII ?

You could give TeX hints where to break the line.

\starttext
\showframe

\enableregime[utf]

blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla „\kern-0.025em won\-de\-ring

blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla \penalty-500„\hskip-0.025em wondering

blablabla blablabla bla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla \penalty-500„\hskip-0.025em wondering

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: disturbing the hyphenation mechanism
@ 2008-08-27 10:39   ` Steffen Wolfrum
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-08-27 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just .. in case of bad luck you'll get this:

\starttext
\showframe

\enableregime[utf]

blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla \penalty-500„\hskip-0.025em wondering

\stoptext

... the line breaks after the quote mark ;o(

No way to avoid this and yet keep the hyphenation?

Steffen

@ 2008-08-27 11:25     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]     ` <115224fb0808270418w638e6399j9c323ad8da2aa153@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-27 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Just .. in case of bad luck you'll get this:
>

> \starttext
> \showframe
>
> \enableregime[utf]
>
> blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
> blablabla \penalty-500„\hskip-0.025em wondering
>
> \stoptext
>

> .... the line breaks after the quote mark ;o(
>
> No way to avoid this and yet keep the hyphenation?

blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla \allowbreak„\kern-0.025em wondering

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-27 11:55       ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-08-27 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.08.2008 um 13:25 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Just .. in case of bad luck you'll get this:
>>

>> \starttext
>> \showframe
>>
>> \enableregime[utf]
>>
>> blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
>> blablabla \penalty-500„\hskip-0.025em wondering
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

>> .... the line breaks after the quote mark ;o(
>>
>> No way to avoid this and yet keep the hyphenation?
>
> blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
> blablabla \allowbreak„\kern-0.025em wondering

There is no hyphenation! See:

\starttext
\showframe

\enableregime[utf]

blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla \allowbreak„\kern-0.025em wondering

blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabl \allowbreak„\kern-0.025em wondering

blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablab \allowbreak„\kern-0.025em wondering

@ 2008-08-27 12:55     ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found]     ` <115224fb0808270418w638e6399j9c323ad8da2aa153@mail.gmail.com>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-27 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Just .. in case of bad luck you'll get this:
>

> \starttext
> \showframe
>
> \enableregime[utf]
>
> blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
> blablabla \penalty-500„\hskip-0.025em wondering

\penalty-500„\penalty10000\hskip-0.025em wondering

Taco

* Fwd:  disturbing the hyphenation mechanism
       [not found]     ` <115224fb0808270418w638e6399j9c323ad8da2aa153@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2008-08-27 13:12       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-27 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Steffen Wolfrum
<context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:
> Just .. in case of bad luck you'll get this:
>

> \starttext
> \showframe
>
> \enableregime[utf]
>
> blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
> blablabla \penalty-500„\hskip-0.025em wondering
>
> \stoptext
>

> ... the line breaks after the quote mark ;o(
>
> No way to avoid this and yet keep the hyphenation?

\starttext
\showframe

\enableregime[utf]

blablabla blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla „\penalty\plustenthousand\hskip-0.025em wondering

blablabla l blablablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blablabla blabla
blablabla „\penalty\plustenthousand\hskip-0.025em wondering

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Fwd:  disturbing the hyphenation mechanism
@ 2008-08-27 15:35         ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-08-27 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

yep, thanks friends!