From: Thomas A.Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: Encoding and mapping glyphs from an expert font
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 23:54:11 +0200	[thread overview]

Idris,

I am not sure I have understood everything you write, but here's a very
brief outline of what I think you need to do. There are two cases you
need to consider:

1. You have more than one font (this seems to be your case), normally
these will be postscript type1 fonts (extensions .pfb or .pfa). If you
want to mix characters from two fonts (say, normal letters from font A,
oldstyle numerals and maybe small caps from font B), you can most
easily do this via a virtual font. It's not too hard; I wrote a small
how-to which you can find on CTAN
(http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/virtualfontshowto/?action=/tex-
archive/info/)

2. Your expert glyphs are within the same TrueType font (extension
.ttf). In that case, the approach would be to have special encoding
vectors which would be used to produce special tfms. For TeX, this
would then constitute a new font (this is explained in the article I
sent you last week.)

So there is no simple answer to your question. TeX knows to pick up
zerooldstyle instead of zero either
1. because you have a virtual font that says MAPFONT 1, so it knows it
will have to use a different pfb than for the rest, or
2. because the encoding file points to character zerooldstyle within
the ttf.

Sounds too complicated? It isnt!

Best

Thomas