From: Daniel Lyons <fusion@storytotell.org>
Subject: Re: TaBlE from Lua
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 23:48:45 -0700	[thread overview]

On Feb 23, 2011, at 11:35 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:45 AM, Daniel Lyons <fusion@storytotell.org> wrote:

>>> Good evening, Daniel!
>>>
>>> [-1] Isn’t TaBlE deprecated?  <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tables_Overview>
>>
>> I didn't know that!
>>
>>> [0] If you aim for convenience, wouldn’t you rather want to
>>>    switch to \[start|stop]tabulate? Its syntax is very similar
>>>    and there are a few examples to learn from in the context
>>>    source code.
>>
>> My particular situation is a bit more involved. I want to put SQL in my ConTeXt source and have it run it against my database and format the result nicely in my document. I think I see how to do it, I just need to be able to take the parsed output and make the visually appealing table.
> Have a look at
> http://robitex.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/postgresql-gestisce-i-dati-lualatex-li-stampa/
> It's in italian & latex & postgres, but pretty clear.

This is gorgeous, and I'm sure it will come in handy, thanks! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in trying this.

My particular situation is a bit different though, I need to be able to do something along the lines of:

\startSQLinteraction
SELECT * FROM foo;
\stopSQLinteraction

and have it produce something like this (possibly):

SELECT * FROM mailinglists;
Listing 6.1

Output of Listing 6.1

My inspiration here is the Real World Haskell book, which ran the snippets in the book during rendering, ensuring both that the snippets actually work and that their output was faithful to the input. I don't mind having one connection as a constant.

—
Daniel Lyons