From: Denis Maier via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: denis.maier@unibe.ch
Subject: Re: Citeproc-lua
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 22:33:02 +0000	[thread overview]

Really? But what about that stuff? Anyway, even better if the data coming from context itself can be used.

Of course you could have another file (just like a bib file
> is independent). One problem could be that you need to make some extra
> installation to make it work as we're not going to add all kind of code to the
> distribution (we tend to go smaller) and someone needs to maintain that
> moduie then because users depend in it working.
>
> Did you look into what pandoc provides? It might be easier to take that
> output and include it. Some kind of html? That's easy to render.

Pandoc can output context as well, so we can just take that.

> A bit like this:
>
> - Convert the whole bibliography database to html using pandoc in the
> preferred cs rendering. That should be fast.

Using the whole bibliography might give problems with regards to disambiguation.

> - Use the normal context commands for referencing a citation (the cite part
> is normally easy as there is not much variation in that; if needed one can
> cheat and also pregenerate that). That's then just some relatively small
> plugin mode.
>
> - When placing the bibliography, filter the right entries from that html file
> (easy) using info that got stored in the tuc.

As said above, that might create problems with regards to disambiguation. Better just use the right entries.

> It is also fast. The only depdency then is pandoc but that is widely available
> (irr). But I would need to see an example of that kind of out first. We
> basically treat the (formatted) bibliography as an external resource but in
> some format that we can easily parse (and if needed tweak).

So, that would work a bit like Aditya's filter module: https://github.com/adityam/filter
Right?

Another option would be to just use pandoc's citeproc directly, as described here: https://github.com/jgm/citeproc/blob/master/man/citeproc.1.md

We'd have to pass a list of citations as a JSON object to that citeproc and use the results.
The results will include citations as well as the bibliography (all as JSON, content can be HTML formatted).

Denis