From: Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl>
Subject: Re: placefloat
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:10:02 +0100	[thread overview]

On Jan 19, 2006, at 18:00, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> (2) Second question. Is there a mechanism whereby one can force
>> the  float to at least the next page when there is no room for it
>> below  the current point on the page?
>
> There is:
>
>   \startpostponing
>     <stuff with postponed floats>
>   \stoppostponing
>
> I believe it is mentioned in a manual somewhere, but don't recall
> off-hand which one. However, I'm not confident that that mechanism
> does precisey what you want, and it is definately not automatic.

It seems to do what I wanted. Putting small figures in the margin on
the next page from where the call is made.

I seem to remember some mentioning of remaining space on the page in
"ConTeXt-fashion" but cannot find it again.
Or can I just rely on TeX's \pagetotal? I tried something as:
	\scratchdimen=\textheight
	\advance\scratchdimen by -\pagetotal
	\ifdim\scratchdimen<#1\relax .......

Is it an option to enrich \startpostponing to \startpostponing
[need=distance]?
( reprogramming \setvalue{\e!start\v!postponing} is it?  asks a bit
too much of my inner-ConTeXt skills)

I tried something on the following lines, but got stuck with a
remaining \stoppostponing when there appears to enough space.
Defining \stoppostponing to \empty seems not to work.
	\def\startpostponingwhen[#1]{%
	\scratchdimen=\textheight
	\advance\scratchdimen by -\pagetotal
	\ifdim\scratchdimen<#1\relax
		\let\dostoppostponingwhen=\stoppostponing
		\expandafter\startpostponing
	\fi}

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer