* footnote placement
@ 2017-07-20  9:16 Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2017-07-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

It happens that a footnote generated on a certain page is typeset on the page preceding it. Rather than that, I would like to force a footnote to appear either on the page where it is defined or on the following page. Can such behaviour  be enforced?
Currently this is my footnote setup:
\setupnotes   [footnote][split=verystrict]
\setupnotation[footnote][way=bypage,numberconversion=set 2,headstyle=small]

Hans van der Meer

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2017-07-20 18:28 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-20 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/20/2017 11:16 AM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
> It happens that a footnote generated on a certain page is typeset on
> the page preceding it. Rather than that, I would like to force a
> footnote to appear either on the page where it is defined or on the
> following page. Can such behaviour be enforced?
> Currently this is my footnote setup:
> \setupnotes   [footnote][split=verystrict]

Hans,

I would add "scope=page", but that would prevent moving the footnote to
the next page.

I don’t know whether this would prevent the footnote to be placed in the
page before where it is defined.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2017-07-20 19:14   ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2017-07-20 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Pablo,

[scope=page] does not help.

I did a few experiments with the following result.
If the footnote is close to the previous page, than obviously the float mechanism may decide to put the footnote on the previous page. This happens even when the footnote is in the second paragraph of that page. Only when the footnote is far enough from the top of the page (I have no inkling how far is far enough) will the footnote appear on the current page, as where one expects it.

I guess this is a tricky one, but perhaps Hans Hagen will know what to do or what to change. I am convinced he will not be afraid of some trickery:-)

Hans van der Meer

> On 20 Jul 2017, at 20:28, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
>
> On 07/20/2017 11:16 AM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
>> It happens that a footnote generated on a certain page is typeset on
>> the page preceding it. Rather than that, I would like to force a
>> footnote to appear either on the page where it is defined or on the
>> following page. Can such behaviour be enforced?
>> Currently this is my footnote setup:
>> \setupnotes   [footnote][split=verystrict]
>
> Hans,
>
> I would add "scope=page", but that would prevent moving the footnote to
> the next page.
>
> I don’t know whether this would prevent the footnote to be placed in the
> page before where it is defined.
>
> Pablo
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2017-07-20 19:33     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2017-07-20 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/20/2017 9:14 PM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> [scope=page] does not help.
>
> I did a few experiments with the following result.
> If the footnote is close to the previous page, than obviously the float mechanism may decide to put the footnote on the previous page. This happens even when the footnote is in the second paragraph of that page. Only when the footnote is far enough from the top of the page (I have no inkling how far is far enough) will the footnote appear on the current page, as where one expects it.
>
> I guess this is a tricky one, but perhaps Hans Hagen will know what to do or what to change. I am convinced he will not be afraid of some trickery:-)

if verystrict is not helping there is not much that we can do as tex
decides if keeping note and reference on one page is possible at all
given other constraints

(of course there can be a bug in context)

> Hans van der Meer
>

>> On 20 Jul 2017, at 20:28, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/20/2017 11:16 AM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
>>> It happens that a footnote generated on a certain page is typeset on
>>> the page preceding it. Rather than that, I would like to force a
>>> footnote to appear either on the page where it is defined or on the
>>> following page. Can such behaviour be enforced?
>>> Currently this is my footnote setup:
>>> \setupnotes   [footnote][split=verystrict]
>>
>> Hans,
>>
>> I would add "scope=page", but that would prevent moving the footnote to
>> the next page.
>>
>> I don’t know whether this would prevent the footnote to be placed in the
>> page before where it is defined.
>>
>> Pablo
>> --
>> http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2017-07-20 20:06       ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2017-07-20 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I did use: \setupnotes[footnote][split=verystrict,scope=page] so I guess there is not much hope here.

A related question: the numbering of endnotes is placed in the leftmargin. Is there a parameter setting that forces them in the textarea of the page?  I tried \setupnotes[endnote][location=text] but without success.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2017-07-21  5:00         ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2017-07-21  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 07/20/2017 10:06 PM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
> I did use: \setupnotes[footnote][split=verystrict,scope=page] so I guess
> there is not much hope here.
>
> A related question: the numbering of endnotes is placed in the
> leftmargin. Is there a parameter setting that forces them in the
> textarea of the page?  I tried \setupnotes[endnote][location=text] but
> without success.

Hans,

\setupnotation[endnote][alternative=serried] is what you need.

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2017-07-21  6:28           ` Meer, Hans van der
From: Meer, Hans van der @ 2017-07-21  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

> On 21 Jul 2017, at 07:00, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:
>
> On 07/20/2017 10:06 PM, Meer, Hans van der wrote:
>> I did use: \setupnotes[footnote][split=verystrict,scope=page] so I guess
>> there is not much hope here.
>>
>> A related question: the numbering of endnotes is placed in the
>> leftmargin. Is there a parameter setting that forces them in the
>> textarea of the page?  I tried \setupnotes[endnote][location=text] but
>> without success.
>
> Hans,
>
> \setupnotation[endnote][alternative=serried] is what you need.

Does the trick. Thanks. I was afraid I had to make an ad hoc macro, but this is far better.

Hans van der Meer

* RE: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-29 15:31 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>\setupnote[endnote][location=none]
>
>\starttext
>
>\dorecurse{100}{test \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
>\page
>
>\placenotes[endnote]
>
>\stoptext

For the record, this also works:-)

%\setupnote[endnote][location=none]
\setupfootnotes[location=none]

\starttext

\dorecurse{14}{\ReadFile{tufte}\footnote{\ReadFile{tufte}}\par}

\page

%\placenotes[endnote]
\placefootnotes[location=none]

\stoptext

It seems that \endnote is also new; nice-)

Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* RE: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-29 15:30 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-29 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>===== Original Message From Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> =====
> \starttext
>> \startbuffer[tufte]
>> \input tufte
>> \stopbuffer
>> \startbuffer[knuth]
>> \input knuth
>> \stopbuffer
>> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
>it's \getbuffer else you indeed get a verbatim buffer (which is what type
does);

>\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\input knuth } \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

So \endgraf (or \par) is needed here; I should have guessed-)

>also works; put a space or \relax after \input, else tex keeps scanning;
>alternatively use \ReadFile{knuth} or \readfile{knuth}{}{}

I definitely prefer the \ReadFile option. I could not find it (or
\readfile{}{}{}) in ConTeXt Commands or texshow; must be new...

What's the difference between these two commands?

Also: given the ConTeXt philosophy, shouldn't there be a non-cryptic
replacement for \par or \endgraf, something like \paragraph or \endparagraph?

Best
Idris

============================

@ 2005-03-28 23:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-28 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> I have been trying to do this for a test with larger notes, but this fails:
>
> \starttext
> \startbuffer[tufte]
> \input tufte
> \stopbuffer
> \startbuffer[knuth]
> \input knuth
> \stopbuffer
> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
> \page
>
> \placenotes[endnote]

\setupnote[endnote][location=none]

\starttext

\dorecurse{100}{test \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

\page

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext

i'll make location=none the defautl for endnotes; (other alternatives will snap
and add backgrounds and such which is one reason for the notes not breaking

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-28 23:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-28 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> I have been trying to do this for a test with larger notes, but this fails:
>
> \starttext
> \startbuffer[tufte]
> \input tufte
> \stopbuffer
> \startbuffer[knuth]
> \input knuth
> \stopbuffer
> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

it's \getbuffer else you indeed get a verbatim buffer (which is what type does);

\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\input knuth } \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

also works; put a space or \relax after \input, else tex keeps scanning;
alternatively use \ReadFile{knuth} or \readfile{knuth}{}{}

> \page
>
> \placenotes[endnote]
>
> \stoptext
>
> But I get "\input tufte" in my footnotes. Putting the \input directly in
> the \footnote also fails because TeX cannot open the fiile.

> On 21 Mar 2005, at 17:42, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>>
>>> Dear gang,
>>> I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.
>>

>> replace your core-not.tex by the attached file and regenerate the format
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{test} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>>
>> \page
>>
>> \placenotes[endnote]
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> should work then
>>
>> Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-21 20:12   ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-21 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been trying to do this for a test with larger notes, but this
fails:

\starttext
\startbuffer[tufte]
\input tufte
\stopbuffer
\startbuffer[knuth]
\input knuth
\stopbuffer
\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{\typebuffer[knuth]}
\endnote{eee}\endgraf}

\page

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext

But I get "\input tufte" in my footnotes. Putting the \input directly
in the \footnote also fails because TeX cannot open the fiile.

On 21 Mar 2005, at 17:42, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>> Dear gang,
>> I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.
>
> replace your core-not.tex by the attached file and regenerate the
> format
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{test} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}
>
> \page
>
> \placenotes[endnote]
>
> \stoptext
>
> should work then
>
> Hans

* Re: footnote placement
@ 2005-03-21 16:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-21 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> Dear gang,
>
> I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.

replace your core-not.tex by the attached file and regenerate the format

\starttext

\dorecurse{100}{test \footnote{test} \endnote{eee}\endgraf}

\page

\placenotes[endnote]

\stoptext

should work then

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* footnote placement
@ 2005-03-21 15:34 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-03-21 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

I think this may have been missed, so I'm sending it again.

Best
Idris
============Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:24:43 -0700==========
Dear syndicate,

1. When I place footnotes as endnotes, they overflow the page, like an
oversize \vbox.

2. E.g.

\input tufte

does not work from inside \footnote{}

Here is a test file.

Best
Idris

==================test-notes===================
\setupoutput[pdftex]

\setupfootnotes[location=text]

\starttext

\dorecurse{14}
{\input tufte\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.\par
Here is a footnote.}
\par
\input knuth\footnote{Here is a footnote.\par Here is a footnote.\par Here
is a footnote.}
\par}

%\dorecurse{14} % THIS DOES NOT WORK!!!
%{\input tufte\footnote{\input tufte}
%\par
%\input knuth\footnote{\input knuth}
%\par}

\section{notes}

\placefootnotes[location=text,split=tolerant]
% the split option does not help:-(

\stoptext

@ 2005-03-18  4:24 ishamid