* [NTG-context] How to improve appearance of bars in frac, sqrt, etc. on screens?
@ 2024-06-13 11:10 Ralph
From: Ralph @ 2024-06-13 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I’m relatively new to ConTeXt (version 2024.05.31, LMTX, standalone) and
really enjoy learning it so far, but I have one little problem with the
appearance of horizontal bars in math mode.

It seems the way ConTeXt displayed horizontal extensible bars in math
mode some time ago (as used in \frac, \sqrt, \overbar, ...) was similar
to the way LaTeX (PDFLaTeX and LuaLaTeX) and Plain TeX handled this, but
it has changed since then. Instead of one bar there are now multiple
characters attached to each other.

This makes it look more consistent with the font, but unfortunately it
doesn’t display well in any PDF viewer I’ve tried (on Linux, so I’ve not
tried Adobe Acrobat Reader). The bars look dotted, I guess it’s due to
anti-aliasing (the dots disappear when anti-aliasing is disabled, but
then of course everything looks pixelated). Two screenshots are attached
(different zoom levels in PDF viewer) so that you know what I’m talking
about.

Source:
\setuppapersize[S3]
\starttext
\startformula \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = \frac{1000 \cdot c}{1000} \stopformula
\stoptext

Is there a way to switch to the old bars for documents viewed mainly on
screens, or is there any other way to improve their appearance? I
couldn’t find any documentation on this, so I would be very thankful if
somebody here could help out.

Best,
Ralph

[-- Attachment #2: small.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5534 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: zoomed.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 25806 bytes --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: How to improve appearance of bars in frac, sqrt, etc. on screens?
@ 2024-06-13 20:04 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2024-06-13 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ralph,

I don’t see any pixels in the PDF file when I typeset your code snipet (on MacOS 11.7.10). Here is what I get.

Best regards: Otared

> On 13 Jun 2024, at 13:10, Ralph <ralph.2718@email-postfach.info> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

> I’m relatively new to ConTeXt (version 2024.05.31, LMTX, standalone) and really enjoy learning it so far, but I have one little problem with the appearance of horizontal bars in math mode.
>
> It seems the way ConTeXt displayed horizontal extensible bars in math mode some time ago (as used in \frac, \sqrt, \overbar, ...) was similar to the way LaTeX (PDFLaTeX and LuaLaTeX) and Plain TeX handled this, but it has changed since then. Instead of one bar there are now multiple characters attached to each other.
>
> This makes it look more consistent with the font, but unfortunately it doesn’t display well in any PDF viewer I’ve tried (on Linux, so I’ve not tried Adobe Acrobat Reader). The bars look dotted, I guess it’s due to anti-aliasing (the dots disappear when anti-aliasing is disabled, but then of course everything looks pixelated). Two screenshots are attached (different zoom levels in PDF viewer) so that you know what I’m talking about.
>
> Source:
> \setuppapersize[S3]
> \starttext
> \startformula \sqrt{a^2 + b^2} = \frac{1000 \cdot c}{1000} \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> Is there a way to switch to the old bars for documents viewed mainly on screens, or is there any other way to improve their appearance? I couldn’t find any documentation on this, so I would be very thankful if somebody here could help out.
>

> Best,
> Ralph
>
> <small.png><zoomed.png>___________________________________________________________________________________
>
> maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl
> webpage  : https://www.pragma-ade.nl / https://context.aanhet.net (mirror)
> archive  : https://github.com/contextgarden/context
> wiki     : https://wiki.contextgarden.net

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 503 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: fraction-bar-pixels.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 4431 bytes --]

@ 2024-06-13 20:43   ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2024-06-13 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 13 Jun 2024, at 21:04, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ralph,
>
> I don’t see any pixels in the PDF file when I typeset your code snipet (on MacOS 11.7.10). Here is what I get.
>
> Best regards: Otared
>
> <fraction-bar-pixels.pdf>

I see it on both - the original and Otared's.

Otared: If open yours (on MacOS 14.5) by double-clicking the image in the email and clicking zoom+ twice then the 'wobble' in the line is visible if you squint.

Bound to be monitor and resolution dependent as well though - not sure how to provide settings that would be repeatable by others. Just go up and down zoom sizes looking carefully.

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

@ 2024-06-13 21:13   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-06-13 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/13/2024 10:04 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> I don’t see any pixels in the PDF file when I typeset your code snipet
> (on MacOS 11.7.10). Here is what I get.
No problems on windows on chrome-os either. Mikael S and I checked it on
his linux box and one can indeed see anti aliasing when taking a screen
dump (depends on resolution).

So it's a linux rendering issue when taking dumps. That said: we can't
do anything about it. Using rules (traditional approach) is pretty bad
in screen dumps and even regular rendering, depending on zoom; there one
has interaction between the font rendering and other graphic elements
(rules).

Btw, vertical extensibles are not different (take the bracket which has
similar constructs). Interesting is that it is straight blob connections
that can show these occasional gray pixels and it only seems to happen
with a little overlap. Kind of a bug we think.

Hans

ps. One reason when I always use (x)ubuntu when i have to use a linux
desktop is that it always was set up right wrt rendering fonts and anti
aliasing. I might need to check that.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-06-14  7:35     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2024-06-14  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 13.06.24 um 23:13 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
> On 6/13/2024 10:04 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> I don’t see any pixels in the PDF file when I typeset your code snipet
>> (on MacOS 11.7.10). Here is what I get.
> No problems on windows on chrome-os either. Mikael S and I checked it on
> his linux box and one can indeed see anti aliasing when taking a screen
> dump (depends on resolution).
>
> So it's a linux rendering issue when taking dumps.

Not only. It also happens with all(?) PDF viewers on MacOS – at least
10.14 and 10.15, can anyone confirm with current versions?

So it’s dependend on the screen rendering, anti aliasing settings (that
you usually can’t influence).

It doesn’t affect printing – or does it for anyone? I can imagine
printing from Firefox, i.e. pdf.js, is affected, since it prints only in
screen resolution.

Hraban

@ 2024-06-14  9:44       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-06-14  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/14/2024 9:35 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 13.06.24 um 23:13 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
>> On 6/13/2024 10:04 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
>>> Hi Ralph,
>>>
>>> I don’t see any pixels in the PDF file when I typeset your code
>>> snipet (on MacOS 11.7.10). Here is what I get.
>> No problems on windows on chrome-os either. Mikael S and I checked it
>> on his linux box and one can indeed see anti aliasing when taking a
>> screen dump (depends on resolution).
>>
>> So it's a linux rendering issue when taking dumps.
>
> Not only. It also happens with all(?) PDF viewers on MacOS – at least
> 10.14 and 10.15, can anyone confirm with current versions?
>
> So it’s dependend on the screen rendering, anti aliasing settings (that
> you usually can’t influence).

hm, so i have to stick to windows for viewing (and an ancient hardware
laptop in order to avoid copilot and recall) but i'll check ubuntu anyway

> It doesn’t affect printing – or does it for anyone? I can imagine
> printing from Firefox, i.e. pdf.js, is affected, since it prints only in
> screen resolution.
it's not related to math then, as there are also ligatures built this
way, although often they often are less sensitive to thsi due to
generous overlaps (unless they use a sequence of connecting strokes in
the same direction)

also keep in mind that looking at a blown up character is not that
realistic (for instance a traditional bitmap font might look great at
600 or 1200 dpi at intended size so zooming in showing raggedness is not
the normal way to see it)

btw, if one wants to observe inaccuracy, just zoom in in graphics made
by drawing programs (even of famous companies)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2024-06-14 11:57         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2024-06-14 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 14 Jun 2024, at 11:44, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> On 6/14/2024 9:35 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>>> No problems on windows on chrome-os either. Mikael S and I checked it on his linux box and one can indeed see anti aliasing when taking a screen dump (depends on resolution).
>>>
>>> So it's a linux rendering issue when taking dumps.
>> Not only. It also happens with all(?) PDF viewers on MacOS – at least 10.14 and 10.15, can anyone confirm with current versions?

Artifacts like mentioned were visible in Preview on my Mac (14.5) as well.

The PDF view in chrome on this Mac shows a slightly different artifact effect, see image below.

Neither bothers me, though.

Best wishes,
Taco

[-- Attachment #2: chrome-pdf.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 27095 bytes --]

—
Taco Hoekwater              E: taco@bittext.nl
genderfluid (all pronouns)

@ 2024-06-15  8:59           ` ralph.2718
From: ralph.2718 @ 2024-06-15  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

thank you all for your replies so far. I guess I’ll have to live with that for now (of course this isn’t really a problem, but a bit unpleasant to look at when you’re used to the straight lines in LaTeX). Just wanted to add that I can see this artifacts quite clearly on a 13 inch 1080p screen in the PDF viewer (depends on zoom level, on some zoom levels I see nothing) and not only when enlarging a screenshot. After all, it’s visible in my attached screenshots even if displayed in their original resolution. (Naming of my screenshots wasn’t very clear, zoomed.png is zoomed-in in the pdf viewer, not a zoomed-in screenshot.)

Best,
Ralph

@ 2024-06-15  9:17             ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2024-06-15  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 6/15/2024 10:59 AM, ralph.2718@email-postfach.info wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you all for your replies so far. I guess I’ll have to live with that for now (of course this isn’t really a problem, but a bit unpleasant to look at when you’re used to the straight lines in LaTeX). Just wanted to add that I can see this artifacts quite clearly on a 13 inch 1080p screen in the PDF viewer (depends on zoom level, on some zoom levels I see nothing) and not only when enlarging a screenshot. After all, it’s visible in my attached screenshots even if displayed in their original resolution. (Naming of my screenshots wasn’t very clear, zoomed.png is zoomed-in in the pdf viewer, not a zoomed-in screenshot.)
The "left radical + rule" isn't perfect either, because it depends on
overlap. Depending on the font you can see issues at the connection
(actually these might be obscured by aliasing at low res). You can try
that outside lmtx with different fonts.

Also, because rules are often rendered differently from glyphs (and
rules can use either a line or rectangle fill) it's always been an issue
(which is also why engines have some heuristics for choosing one or the
other method).

And, as mentioned, vertical extenders also use the same etechnology as
we now use for radicals, it's just that there was never a concept like
that in engines for radicals. Arrows sit in the same category and also
use the same glyphs so there one can observe the same. Actually, even in
traditional tex arrows are made from minusus and an arrowhead
overlapping piecewise.

Maybe viewers will catch up.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE