* Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12  9:04 Mari Voipio
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mari Voipio @ 2011-10-12  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

Encouraged by the recent User Meeting, I'm experimenting with sans
serif fonts, trying to find something that I could use all over our
documents (European languages) and that would be acceptable to the
design people.

One of the possibilities would be Lucida, but I'm not having much
success with it...

First I tried with the wiki, <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Lucida>.
The lucida.zip downloads and extracts nicely, but does not contain any
.pfb files, so so much for that.

Then I took a leap of faith and just put

\setupbodyfont[lucida]

in the setup area of my file and something is definitely happening,
but then the process hangs. I retried with just

==============

\setupbodyfont[lucida]

\starttext

\chapter{Testing Lucida}

\input knuth

\stoptext

==============

Same result... The whole log is in the end of this message, but I
suspect this is the essential part (which SciTe also marks with red):

fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lbl' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 12
with name file:lbl.afm at 458752 is skipped, not found
! LuaTeX error ...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/math-vfu.lua:476:
bad argument #1 to '(for generator)' (table expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '(for generator)'
	...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/math-vfu.lua:476: in
function <...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/math-vfu.lua:397>
	(tail call): ?
	(tail call): ?
	...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-def.lua:406: in function 'read'
	...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-ctx.lua:767: in
function 'definefont_two'
	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.

system          > tex > error on line 1 in file 20111012_Lucida1.tex:
LuaTeX error  ...

I'm running the newest beta, ConTeXt  ver: 2011.10.08 11:42 MKIV, and
ConTeXt with SciTe in Win7. I compile the pdf with Ctrl+F12 and I get
palatino and dejavu to work to an extent (if I switch the font name in
the test file from "lucida" to "dejavu", everything works perfectly,
so I guess either I'm missing something essential or there's a problem
somewhere in the beta.

In the font jungle once again,

Mari

The full log:

(20111012_Lucida1.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2011.10.08 11:42 MKIV  fmt: 2011.10.11  int: english/english

system          > cont-new.mkiv loaded
(C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv
system          > beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.mkiv
)
system          > 20111012_Lucida1.top loaded

system          > options > start used options

used options    > % runtime options files (command line driven)
used options    > \unprotect
used options    > % feedback and basic job control
used options    > % handy for special styles
used options    > \startluacode
used options    > document = document or { }
used options    > document.arguments={
used options    >  ["autopdf"]=true,
used options    > }
used options    > document.files={
used options    >  "20111012_Lucida1.tex",
used options    > }
used options    > \stopluacode
used options    > % process info
used options    > \setupsystem[inputfile=20111012_Lucida1.tex]
used options    > \setupsystem[\c!n=1,\c!m=1]
used options    > % modes
used options    > % options (not that important)
used options    > \startsetups *runtime:options
used options    > \stopsetups
used options    > % styles and modules
used options    > \startsetups *runtime:modules
used options    > \stopsetups
used options    > % done
used options    > \protect \endinput

system          > options > stop used options

(20111012_Lucida1.top)
fonts           > latin modern fonts are not preloaded
languages       > language en is active
(C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv)
(C:/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv)
files           > readfile > asked name: 'loc', not found
{C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}{C:/context/tex/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}{C:/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/map/pdftex/context/mkiv-base.map}
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'LucidaBright' is
not found using lookup 'name'
fonts           > defining > unknown font LucidaBright, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define LucidaBright as
\*lucida12ptrmtfrm*
fonts           > defining > forced type afm of lbr not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lbr' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 1
with name file:lbr.afm*virtualmath at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type tfm of hlcrim not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'hlcrim' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 2
with name hlcrim.tfm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type tfm of hlcrim not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'hlcrim' is not
found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 3
with name hlcrim.tfm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type tfm of hlcry not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'hlcry' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 4
with name hlcry.tfm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type tfm of hlcrv not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'hlcrv' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 5
with name hlcrv.tfm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type tfm of hlcra not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'hlcra' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 6
with name hlcra.tfm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type tfm of hlcrm not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'hlcrm' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 7
with name hlcrm.tfm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type afm of lbd not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lbd' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 8
with name file:lbd.afm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type afm of lbdi not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lbdi' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 9
with name file:lbdi.afm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type afm of lsr not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lsr' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 10
with name file:lsr.afm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type afm of lstr not found
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'lstr' is not found
using lookup 'file'
fonts           > virtual math > loading font lucidamath subfont 11
with name file:lstr.afm at 458752 is skipped, not found
fonts           > defining > forced type afm of lbl not found
[...]

 1 >>  \setupbodyfont[lucida]
 2
 3     \starttext
 4
 5     \chapter{Testing Lucida}
 6
 7     \input knuth
 8
 9     \stoptext
10

\ctxcommand ...\directlua \zerocount {commands.#1}

\lowleveldefinefont ...ies ", "\@@fontgoodies " )}
                                                  \edef \somefontspec {at \n...
\xxdododefinefont ...efont {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \fi \csname \newfontidenti...
\dodosetmathfamily ...\currentmathsize \endcsname
                                                  \else \ifcsname \fontclass...
\dosetmathfamilyindeed ...ily \scriptscriptfont #1
                                                  \let \currentmathsize \!!p...
\dosetmathfamily ...se \dosetmathfamilyindeed #1#2
                                                  \fi
l.1 \setupbodyfont[lucida]

? \x1a
Type <return> to proceed, S to scroll future error messages,
R to run without stopping, Q to run quietly,
I to insert something, E to edit your file,
1 or ... or 9 to ignore the next 1 to 9 tokens of input,
H for help, X to quit.
?
! Emergency stop.

system          > tex > error on line 1 in file 20111012_Lucida1.tex:
Emergency stop ...

[...]

End of file on the terminal!

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12  9:11 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-10-12  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Encouraged by the recent User Meeting, I'm experimenting with sans
> serif fonts, trying to find something that I could use all over our
> documents (European languages) and that would be acceptable to the
> design people.
>
> One of the possibilities would be Lucida, but I'm not having much
> success with it...
>

> First I tried with the wiki, <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Lucida>.
> The lucida.zip downloads and extracts nicely, but does not contain any
> .pfb files, so so much for that.
Froma
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/bh/lucida
"...
The lucidabr and lucida packages on CTAN are free, but the Lucida fonts
are not: you must order them from TUG or another source to actually
typeset anything in Lucida.  The TUG Lucida web pages explain the
details -- see http://tug.org/lucida.
..."

--
luigi

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12  9:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-12  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.10.2011 um 11:04 schrieb Mari Voipio:

> Hello!
>
> Encouraged by the recent User Meeting, I'm experimenting with sans
> serif fonts, trying to find something that I could use all over our
> documents (European languages) and that would be acceptable to the
> design people.
>
> One of the possibilities would be Lucida, but I'm not having much
> success with it...
>
> First I tried with the wiki, <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Lucida>.
> The lucida.zip downloads and extracts nicely, but does not contain any
> .pfb files, so so much for that.

You have to buy them: http://tug.org/store/lucida/

Wolfgang

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12  9:20   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-12  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-10-2011 11:16, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 12.10.2011 um 11:04 schrieb Mari Voipio:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Encouraged by the recent User Meeting, I'm experimenting with sans
>> serif fonts, trying to find something that I could use all over our
>> documents (European languages) and that would be acceptable to the
>> design people.
>>
>> One of the possibilities would be Lucida, but I'm not having much
>> success with it...
>>
>> First I tried with the wiki,<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Lucida>.
>> The lucida.zip downloads and extracts nicely, but does not contain any
>> .pfb files, so so much for that.
>
> You have to buy them: http://tug.org/store/lucida/

best wait till the otf version is available (Mojca will probably
announce that here some day soon) and forget about the type 1's

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-10-12  9:22     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-10-12  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> best wait till the otf version is available (Mojca will probably announce
> that here some day soon) and forget about the type 1's
Uh ...  the otf version will be "free" ?

--
luigi

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12  9:23   ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2011-10-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:11, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> The lucidabr and lucida packages on CTAN are free, but the Lucida fonts
> are not: you must order them from TUG or another source to actually
> typeset anything in Lucida.  The TUG Lucida web pages explain the
> details -- see http://tug.org/lucida.
> ..."

Ummm.... Sounds like a line I want to add to that wiki page, I'll do
it later today.

However, my Windows 7 has Lucida Bright, Lucida Console and Lucida
Sans, so I kind of have those fonts already, as ttfs. Apparently they
came with my Acrobat Pro.

Oh well, I can simulate with the ttfs and figure out about buying when
the otf:s are around. The 2-user licence isn't that expensive and I
doubt I'll ever need more than that in the ConTeXt world.

OK, thank you everybody - I knew things had changed, but what I heard
at CM5 hadn't quite parsed. :-)

Back to the test bench,

Mari

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12  9:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-12  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-10-2011 11:22, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  wrote:
>
>> best wait till the otf version is available (Mojca will probably announce
>> that here some day soon) and forget about the type 1's
> Uh ...  the otf version will be "free" ?

no, but relatively cheap and pretty complete

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-10-12  9:37     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-12  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.10.2011 um 11:23 schrieb Mari Voipio:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:11, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The lucidabr and lucida packages on CTAN are free, but the Lucida fonts
>> are not: you must order them from TUG or another source to actually
>> typeset anything in Lucida.  The TUG Lucida web pages explain the
>> details -- see http://tug.org/lucida.
>> ..."
>
> Ummm.... Sounds like a line I want to add to that wiki page, I'll do
> it later today.
>
> However, my Windows 7 has Lucida Bright, Lucida Console and Lucida
> Sans, so I kind of have those fonts already, as ttfs. Apparently they
> came with my Acrobat Pro.

When the fonts are in your Windows font directory you can try this:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setmainfont[Lucida Bright]

\starttext
Lucida Bright
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12 10:07 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-10-12 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-10-12 um 11:04 schrieb Mari Voipio:

> Encouraged by the recent User Meeting, I'm experimenting with sans
> serif fonts, trying to find something that I could use all over our
> documents (European languages) and that would be acceptable to the
> design people.

Besides Lucida you/they might like some of the newer Windows system
fonts, like Calibri and Candara.
Google Web fonts are another "known" source: http://www.google.com/webfonts

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12 10:31       ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2011-10-12 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:37, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> When the fonts are in your Windows font directory you can try this:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>
> \setmainfont[Lucida Bright]

It works! And I learned something new and useful today, now I finally
understand why it is called "simplefonts" (thankfully I already
learned this module thing last year, so I had it already...).

Not only did I get Lucida to work, this seems to work as well:

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setmainfont[Calibri]

Now I'm one happy ConTeXter, this'll stop most of the fights with the
Word users...

NB. I'll wikify some of this stuff once I've got a bit of leftover
energy. In the meanwhile, is there a way of finding out what fonts are
included in the simplefonts module now? A quick wiki search on
"simplefonts" didn't seem terribly useful, but might just be my
inability to concentrate on the task...

Wolfgang, you are my hero today. :-D

Mari

* Re: Lucida hangs (?) on latest beta
@ 2011-10-12 10:54         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-12 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.10.2011 um 12:31 schrieb Mari Voipio:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:37, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> When the fonts are in your Windows font directory you can try this:
>>
>> \usemodule[simplefonts]
>>
>> \setmainfont[Lucida Bright]
>
> It works! And I learned something new and useful today, now I finally
> understand why it is called "simplefonts" (thankfully I already
> learned this module thing last year, so I had it already...).
>

> Not only did I get Lucida to work, this seems to work as well:
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \setmainfont[Calibri]
>

> Now I'm one happy ConTeXter, this'll stop most of the fights with the
> Word users...
>

> NB. I'll wikify some of this stuff once I've got a bit of leftover
> energy. In the meanwhile, is there a way of finding out what fonts are
> included in the simplefonts module now? A quick wiki search on
> "simplefonts" didn't seem terribly useful, but might just be my
> inability to concentrate on the task…

simplefonts hasn’t any fonts included (except latin modern),
it uses contexts font database to search for the requested font.

You can get information from the database on the command line,
e.g. a search for caliber on my system results in this:

rover:~ wolf$ mtxrun --script font --list --all calibri*

calibri             calibri             /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Calibri.ttf
calibribold         calibribold         /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Calibri Bold.ttf
calibribolditalic   calibribolditalic   /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Calibri Bold Italic.ttf
calibriitalic       calibriitalic       /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Calibri Italic.ttf
calibrinormal       calibriitalic       /Library/Fonts/Microsoft/Calibri Italic.ttf

Wolfgang