* TEI - conTeXt - pdf
@ 2010-11-24 22:47 Jon Crump
From: Jon Crump @ 2010-11-24 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Having abandoned apache's FOP, I've now been trying to get my arms
around XML typesetting with conTeXt with the help of Thomas's
excellent tutorial at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TEI_xml. With some
difficulty I got the philostratus.xml/lorem ipsum example to work,
save for errors like this from the \definemargins command:

! You can't use `\dimexpr' in restricted horizontal mode.

(The marginal notations are typeset, but so are the distance arguments)

What I really need help with, however, is Arabic. Can anyone point me
to a 'hello world' example of how to typeset TEIxml in Arabic using
conTeXt? My TeX skills are very out of date and were never much to
begin with, and I'm having a devil of a time getting my head around
the welter of available documentation. I haven't even yet worked out
how to point context at suitable fonts, or how to invoke them in the
--environment .tex file.

[I'm using the MacTeX-2010 Distribution on OSX 10.5.8. It took me some
time do discover that I had to do:
$ luatools --generate
before I could run context at the command line thus:
$ context --environment=tei-style philostratus.xml]

Any hints, examples, or pointers to the relevant documentation would
be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Jon

* Re: TEI - conTeXt - pdf
@ 2010-11-25  9:23 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-11-25  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 24, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Jon Crump wrote:

> All,
>
> Having abandoned apache's FOP, I've now been trying to get my arms
> around XML typesetting with conTeXt with the help of Thomas's
> excellent tutorial at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TEI_xml. With some
> difficulty I got the philostratus.xml/lorem ipsum example to work,
> save for errors like this from the \definemargins command:
>
> ! You can't use `\dimexpr' in restricted horizontal mode.
>
> (The marginal notations are typeset, but so are the distance arguments)

What version of ConTeXt are you using? I don't get this error with the latest beta. Updating your MacTeX (which really is a slightly modified TeXLive) might be difficult, so I would recommend trying the minimals.

Arabic: others will be able to help you; there is a number of Arabic users on this list some of whom are regulars.

Good luck

Thomas