* contextbeta moved or server down?
@ 2018-09-07  9:10 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

This used to give me the latest contextbeta:
rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .

Today I get this error
start download and iinstall of contextbeta
rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Operation timed out (60)

Is the garden down or have the sources been moved since my last access this June?
At least this link is still active at the moment: http://wiki.contextgarden.net

dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: contextbeta moved or server down?
@ 2018-09-07  9:50 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2018-09-07  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 11:11, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:

> This used to give me the latest contextbeta:
> rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
>
> Today I get this error
> start download and iinstall of contextbeta
> rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Operation timed out (60)
>
> Is the garden down or have the sources been moved since my last access this June?
> At least this link is still active at the moment: http://wiki.contextgarden.net

While wiki.contextgarden.net is running on a different server than the
distribution, there hasn't been any change recently and the
installation works for me.

Mojca

* Re: contextbeta moved or server down?
@ 2018-09-07 11:13   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Still not working. this is the full script, I didn’t change the rsync line since last time it ran ok:

echo "start download and install of contextbeta"
rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
chmod a+x first-setup.sh
mkdir tex
sh ./first-setup.sh --engine=luatex --context=beta >first-setup.log
#sh ./first-setup.sh --context=current >first-setup.log
#sh ./first-setup.sh --context=date >first-setup.log

# link to command reference
cp -p -v tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/qrcs/setup-en.pdf ~/Desktop/Context\ Commands.pdf
rm ~/Desktop/Context\ Manuals
ln -s -v /tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals Context\ Manuals
mv Context\ Manuals ..

# link to mkiv source
rm mkiv_base
ln -s -v tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv mkiv_base

exit

And this is the full output of a run, put the rsync data in red:

4 context-47: contextbeta
start download and install of contextbeta
rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/clientserver.c(106) [receiver=2.6.9]
chmod: first-setup.sh: No such file or directory
mkdir: tex: File exists
sh: ./first-setup.sh: No such file or directory
cp: tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/qrcs/setup-en.pdf: No such file or directory
rm: /Users/hansm/Desktop/Context Manuals: No such file or directory
Context Manuals -> /tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals
mkiv_base -> tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv
4 context-47:

> On 7 Sep 2018, at 11:50, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 11:11, Hans van der Meer <havdmeer@ziggo.nl> wrote:
>>
>> This used to give me the latest contextbeta:
>> rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
>>
>> Today I get this error
>> start download and iinstall of contextbeta
>> rsync: failed to connect to contextgarden.net: Operation timed out (60)
>>
>> Is the garden down or have the sources been moved since my last access this June?
>> At least this link is still active at the moment: http://wiki.contextgarden.net
>
> While wiki.contextgarden.net is running on a different server than the
> distribution, there hasn't been any change recently and the
> installation works for me.
>
> Mojca

met vriendelijke groet

@ 2018-09-07 13:37     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2018-09-07 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

The garden server is working for me as well, but I am on the same IP as Mojca
at the moment, so that is probably to be expected.

Can you connect to contextgarden.net in *any* way from where you are?
There could be some issue with the internet routing from your machine
to contextgarden.net, or it could be a firewall blockade somewhere
in between. The machine itself is definitely running.

Best wishes,
Taco

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV

* Re: contextbeta moved or server down?
@ 2018-09-07 14:25       ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Clicking on  contextgarden.net <http://contextgarden.net/> brings up the garden in the browser. The site therefore is reachable from here.

I guess then, the problem is in the rsync. I am afraid I known next to nothing about rsync.

It would be nice if someone with an Apple Macintosh will try the same. Maybe it is something in the system here (running MacOSX High Sierra 10.13.6) and I would be glad/unhappy to know if that is the case.

@ 2018-09-07 14:34         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2018-09-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I can download first-setup.sh without problems.

$ rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
first-setup.sh

sent 38 bytes  received 4826 bytes  3242.67 bytes/sec
total size is 4715  speedup is 0.97

Wolfgang

@ 2018-09-07 14:42           ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Schuster, NTG ConTeXt

Not here. I copied your call into Terminal and it gave the same timeout as before.

My system is a MacPro (2017), could it have a special setting in the tailored software? Anywhere someone with the same machine who can test this?

Otherwise, can I download ‘manually’ a package and then install (howto?).

@ 2018-09-07 15:04             ` Mohammad Hossein Bateni
From: Mohammad Hossein Bateni @ 2018-09-07 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

works for me.  I have macbook pro (mid 2015) running High Sierra 10.13.6.
I guess, you should try to ping or traceroute to contextgarden.net from
terminal.  the IP is different for www.contextgarden.net, which is probably
what the browser looks for.

@ 2018-09-07 15:07             ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

If I connect in the browser to contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin <http://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin> (platform set to my osx-64) it gives an empty page with text as below. Shouldn’t there be something to download?
minimals/setup/osx-64/bin

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Special:Search/minimals/setup/osx-64/bin> in other pages, or search the related logs <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=minimals/setup/osx-64/bin>

@ 2018-09-07 15:16               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2018-09-07 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 17:08, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> If I connect in the browser to contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin (platform set to my osx-64) it gives an empty page with text as below. Shouldn’t there be something to download?

No, because that's the wrong URL. The correct URL would be
    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/osx-64/bin/
if talking about the browser. Apache's and rsync's URLs are not the same.

Can you please check if you can use rsync at all (behind the firewalls
you currently reside)? Do you get any response from, say,
    rsync rsync://rsync.macports.org/
?

Mojca

* Re: contextbeta moved or server down?
@ 2018-09-07 15:17               ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Tried it on a MacBook too, same problem. Could be my router then.

> On 7 Sep 2018, at 17:04, Mohammad Hossein Bateni <bateni@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> works for me.  I have macbook pro (mid 2015) running High Sierra 10.13.6.  I guess, you should try to ping or traceroute to contextgarden.net <http://contextgarden.net/> from terminal.  the IP is different for www.contextgarden.net <http://www.contextgarden.net/>, which is probably what the browser looks for.

Ping gave this:

33 context-47: ping contextgarden.net
PING contextgarden.net (193.2.4.200): 56 data bytes
..
64 bytes from 193.2.4.200: icmp_seq=27 ttl=49 time=39.023 ms
64 bytes from 193.2.4.200: icmp_seq=28 ttl=49 time=38.522 ms
^C
--- contextgarden.net ping statistics ---
29 packets transmitted, 29 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 37.669/38.526/39.896/0.656 ms

What now. Any ideas perhaps?

@ 2018-09-07 15:25                 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2018-09-07 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

rsync uses port 873

This often gets blocked at many sites.

Alan

@ 2018-09-07 15:27                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2018-09-07 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 17:18, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Ping gave this:

Ping gives you the correct address and a sign that you can reach the
server. I'm almost certain it's a firewall issue. Please check whether
you can reach, say,

@ 2018-09-07 15:34                 ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Did this, see below,

> On 7 Sep 2018, at 17:16, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 17:08, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>
>> If I connect in the browser to contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/$platform/bin (platform set to my osx-64) it gives an empty page with text as below. Shouldn’t there be something to download?
>
> No, because that's the wrong URL. The correct URL would be
>    http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/osx-64/bin/
> if talking about the browser. Apache's and rsync's URLs are not the same.
>
> Can you please check if you can use rsync at all (behind the firewalls
> you currently reside)? Do you get any response from, say,
>    rsync rsync://rsync.macports.org/
> ?

35 context-47: rsync rsync://rsync.macports.org/

Willkommen auf dem RSYNC-server auf ftp.fau.de.
Nicht all unsere Mirror sind per rsync verfuegbar.

Welcome to the RSYNC daemon on ftp.fau.de.
Not all of our mirrors are available through rsync.

release        	MacPorts rsync release repository, providing the current MacPorts "released" sources and the ports tree.
trunk          	MacPorts rsync "trunk" repository, providing experimental MacPorts sources in svn's trunk/base.
distfiles      	Distfile mirror for MacPorts

And a lot more like this ..

@ 2018-09-07 15:37                   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I looked into the modem: no port filtering set up there.

@ 2018-09-07 15:45                   ` Harald Koenig
From: Harald Koenig @ 2018-09-07 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 07, Alan Braslau wrote:

> rsync uses port 873
>
> This often gets blocked at many sites.

an easy and "naiive" test can be trying to connect to that port via rsync:

	telnet 193.2.4.200 rsync
or
	telnet 193.2.4.200 873

the output should look similar to this if that outgoing port is open (not blocked):

	Trying 193.2.4.200...
	Connected to 193.2.4.200.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	@RSYNCD: 31.0

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\

* Re: contextbeta moved or server down?
@ 2018-09-07 15:52                     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-07 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

telnet is not present here on the system (for safety I presume)

> On 7 Sep 2018, at 17:45, Harald Koenig <koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>
> On Sep 07, Alan Braslau wrote:
>
>> rsync uses port 873
>>
>> This often gets blocked at many sites.
>
> an easy and "naiive" test can be trying to connect to that port via rsync:
>

> 	telnet 193.2.4.200 rsync
> or
> 	telnet 193.2.4.200 873
>

> the output should look similar to this if that outgoing port is open (not blocked):
>
> 	Trying 193.2.4.200...
> 	Connected to 193.2.4.200.
> 	Escape character is '^]'.
> 	@RSYNCD: 31.0
>

> Harald
> --
> "I hope to die                                      ___       _____
> before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
> Donald E. Knuth, 02-Oct-2001 in Tuebingen.        <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
>                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
>                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
>                                                       \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
> Harald Koenig                                           //  /     \\  \
> koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de                     ^^^^^       ^^^^^

met vriendelijke groet
dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: contextbeta moved or server down? SOLVED
@ 2018-09-08  7:46 ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-08  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

This caused a lot of headaches but was finally solved this morning. Brainwave (and a nights sleep) needed to find the cause and it was so simple!

The case being that between my last successful access of the garden and yesterday the firewall protection of my modem had gone up to the highest level of protection (firmware update by ISP maybe, one is not always informed when these happen). Anyway, setting that level to low enabled the rsync service to the garden. Afterwards I set the protection level back to high, of course.

I hope that leaving this solution on the newsgroup will spare others the same headache.

Finally I wish to thank those who helped me search the culprit, especially Mojca who spent an hour with me on this case.

@ 2018-09-08 12:34   ` juh
From: juh @ 2018-09-08 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Hans,

I think that this is a scandal, as it is nothing else but censorship by
your ISP.

I am a member of a cooperative hoster in Germany (Hostsharing) and
Telekom, the biggest German ISP, blocked our mail servers for years in their
routers they bundle with internet access services.

We had to complain at the Netzagentur a state agency which has to
guarantee net neutrality in Germany – we were successful.

https://www.hostsharing.net/blog/2018/06/24/telekom-speedport-mailblockade-verfa
hren-beendet/

Maybe the context community should complain somewhere about this.

juh

--
Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com
Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de

* Re: contextbeta moved or server down? SOLVED
@ 2018-09-08 13:17     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2018-09-08 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I am not inclined to react so strongly. In general I am happy when the ISP provides its customers with default save settings. It is best for most people, I think.

Perhaps the rsync port 873 should have been opened by default in the firewall, because I suspect more and more people will use it to backup their data over the internet.

But in general I can live with changing the modem settings temporarily, because I am updating the ConText minimals infrequently only.

@ 2018-09-08 13:32       ` Michael Hallgren
From: Michael Hallgren @ 2018-09-08 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Usually port 22, since rsync is usually run in ssh when between distant hosts.

Cheers,
mh

@ 2018-09-10 11:32         ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2018-09-10 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 03:32:47PM +0200, Michael Hallgren wrote:
> Usually port 22, since rsync is usually run in ssh when between distant hosts.

  It’s actually pretty common for port 22 to be blocked, many free wifi
providers do so.  In Hans’ case, since he can change the configuration I
don’t think we can speak of censorship, as Jan Ulrich does.  But it’s
certainly annoying.

	Best,

		Arthur