* description renders unintended results
@ 2017-03-03  8:59 Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2017-03-03  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1523 bytes --]

The documentation on page
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Description

provides sample code to stack multiple levels of description such as:

\setuppapersize[A5]
\definedescription[descr][

  headstyle=bold, style=normal, align=left, location=hanging,
  width=broad, margin=1cm
]
\starttext
\startdescr{Para}

  This is a shorter item label, and some text that talks about it.
  The text is wrapped into a paragraph, with successive lines indented.

  This is another paragraph under the "Para" item.

\startdescr{Sub Item}

    This is a description of an item which is within the "Para" item.

\stopdescr
\startdescr{Sub Item}

    Another Sub Item

\stopdescr
\stopdescr
\startdescr{Short}

  A short item that's not part of that really long "Para" item.

\stopdescr
\stoptext

which should generate the included rendering.

But reality is somewhat more diverse …
My current context / luatex, as well as the online context engine come up with a different rendering

Even when you correct for the right/left alignment, the itemising does not properly stack up:

It there a work around ?

$ context --version

mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.63
mtx-context     |
mtx-context     | main context file: /Applications/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/context.mkiv
mtx-context     | current version: 2016.09.24 12:40

$ luatex --version
This is LuaTeX, Version 1.0.0 (TeX Live 2017/dev)

Thanks

.Floris van Manen

[-- Attachment #1.1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 5667 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.2.2: d24ff9f3afdcc6cb5d0c8e09c24d5338.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 18294 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.2.3: Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 09.51.57.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 220667 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.2.4: Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 09.53.43.PNG --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 216750 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: description renders unintended results
@ 2017-03-04 10:25 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2017-03-04 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Floris,

Since you specify
	align=left
in the setup of your description, I don’t see why the output would be unexpected. With the following version of your example code I get the attached PDF output.

%%% begin
\setuppapersize[A5]
\definedescription[descr][
	headstyle=bold,
	style=normal,
%	align=flushright,
	location=hanging,
	width=broad,
	margin=1cm
	]
\starttext
\startdescr{Para}

	This is a shorter item label, and some text that talks about it.
	The text is wrapped into a paragraph, with successive lines indented.

	This is another paragraph under the "Para" item.
	\startdescr{Sub Item}

		This is a description of an item which is within the "Para" item.

	\stopdescr
	\startdescr{Sub Item}

		Another Sub Item

	\stopdescr
\stopdescr
\startdescr{Short}

	A short item that's not part of that really long "Para" item.

\stopdescr

\stoptext
%%% end

> On 3 Mar 2017, at 09:59, Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> wrote:
>
> The documentation on page
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Description <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Description>
>
> provides sample code to stack multiple levels of description such as:
>
> \setuppapersize[A5]
> \definedescription[descr][
>
>   headstyle=bold, style=normal, align=left, location=hanging,
>   width=broad, margin=1cm
> ]
> \starttext
> \startdescr{Para}
>
>   This is a shorter item label, and some text that talks about it.
>   The text is wrapped into a paragraph, with successive lines indented.
>
>   This is another paragraph under the "Para" item.
>
> \startdescr{Sub Item}
>
>     This is a description of an item which is within the "Para" item.
>
> \stopdescr
> \startdescr{Sub Item}
>
>     Another Sub Item
>
> \stopdescr
> \stopdescr
> \startdescr{Short}
>
>   A short item that's not part of that really long "Para" item.
>
> \stopdescr
> \stoptext
>
> which should generate the included rendering.
>
> <d24ff9f3afdcc6cb5d0c8e09c24d5338.png>
>

> But reality is somewhat more diverse …
> My current context / luatex, as well as the online context engine come up with a different rendering
>
> <Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 09.51.57.PNG>
>
> Even when you correct for the right/left alignment, the itemising does not properly stack up:
>
> <Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 09.53.43.PNG>
>
> It there a work around ?
>

> $ context --version
>
> mtx-context     | ConTeXt Process Management 0.63
> mtx-context     |
> mtx-context     | main context file: /Applications/ConTeXt/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/mkiv/context.mkiv
> mtx-context     | current version: 2016.09.24 12:40
>
> $ luatex --version
> This is LuaTeX, Version 1.0.0 (TeX Live 2017/dev)
>

> Thanks
>
> .Floris van Manen

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 3153 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: description-indentation.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 6969 bytes --]

* Re: description renders unintended results
@ 2017-03-04 10:46   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2017-03-04 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2017-03-04 um 11:25 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:

> Since you specify
> 	align=left
> in the setup of your description, I don’t see why the output would be unexpected. With the following version of your example code I get the attached PDF output.

While the alignment was to be expected, the items are still not nested.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
GPG Key ID 1C9B22FD

* Re: description renders unintended results
@ 2017-03-04 10:58   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2017-03-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 687 bytes --]

> On 4 Mar 2017, at 11:25, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since you specify
> 	align=left
> in the setup of your description, I don’t see why the output would be unexpected. With the following version of your example code I get the attached PDF output.

I got the left/right discrepancy between the sample code and the rendering.
However the unexpected is the fact that it does not indent properly:

The intended is this:

1	one
	a	two
	b	three
2	four
	c	five
	d	six
		x	seven
		y	eight
		z	nine
3	ten

The unintended result (also in your rendering) is this:

1	one
a	two
b	three
2	four
c	five
d	six
x	seven
y	eight
z	nine
3	ten

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 4240 bytes --]

@ 2017-03-05 23:34     ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2017-03-05 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there anyone out there who has a clue as how to fix this?

Thanks
.F

> On 4 Mar 2017, at 11:58, Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> wrote:
>

>> On 4 Mar 2017, at 11:25, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Since you specify
>> 	align=left
>> in the setup of your description, I don’t see why the output would be unexpected. With the following version of your example code I get the attached PDF output.
>
> I got the left/right discrepancy between the sample code and the rendering.
> However the unexpected is the fact that it does not indent properly:
>
> The intended is this:
>
> 1	one
> 	a	two
> 	b	three
> 2	four
> 	c	five
> 	d	six
> 		x	seven
> 		y	eight
> 		z	nine
> 3	ten
>
> The unintended result (also in your rendering) is this:
>
> 1	one
> a	two
> b	three
> 2	four
> c	five
> d	six
> x	seven
> y	eight
> z	nine
> 3	ten

[-- Attachment #1.2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: description renders unintended results (LUATEX BUG?)
@ 2017-03-07 17:04       ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2017-03-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

The incorrect nesting seems to be connected to the luatex engine.
If i have the same source compiled by pdftex, it works as intended.

So is the different rendering an intended feature of luatex, or a simple bug?

.F

@ 2017-03-07 19:13         ` Alan Braslau
       [not found]           ` <BD6B027E-67AF-48BE-94A1-E0D859988B70@klankschap.nl>
From: Alan Braslau @ 2017-03-07 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 18:04:34 +0100
Floris van Manen <vm@klankschap.nl> wrote:

> The incorrect nesting seems to be connected to the luatex engine.
> If i have the same source compiled by pdftex, it works as intended.
>
> So is the different rendering an intended feature of luatex, or a
> simple bug?

mkii or mkiv?

(pdftex is mkii, luatex is usually mkiv)

Alan

@ 2017-03-08  0:04             ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2017-03-08  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can see from your log that
	context --pdftext
is running the MKII macros and
	context
is running MKIV macros. The two systems are very different, MKII being
"frozen" and MKIV having evolved in some ways significantly. It is not
a question of TeX engines, but rather of entire systems.

But it sounds like you want to be using an itemize or enumeration
rather than a description.

\startitemize [n]
  \startitem one
     \startitemize [a]
         \startitem two \stopitem
         \startitem three \stopitem
     \stopitemize
  \stopitem
  \startitem four
     \startitemize [a,continue]
         \startitem five \stopitem
         \startitem six
             \startitemize
                 \startitem seven \stopitem
                 \startitem eight \stopitem
                 \startitem nine \stopitem
             \stopitemize
         \stopitem
     \stopitemize
  \stopitem
  \startitem ten \stopitem
\stopitemize

Alan

* Re: description renders unintended results (LUATEX BUG?)
@ 2017-03-08  0:40               ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2017-03-08  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)