* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 77
       [not found] <mailman.927.1268575630.26807.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-14 16:21 ` Michael Saunders
From: Michael Saunders @ 2010-03-14 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Henning Hraban Ramm:

>> \usetypsecript [GaramondPrem]
>
> Here's a typo.

Yes, that was it, thank you.  Now when I run it it gives me...

... Latin Modern.

> ------------------------------

Hans Hagen:

>> My guess is:
>> <typeface>      switch
>> serif              \rm
>> sans              \ss
>> mono            \tt
>> math             \mm
>> ??                 \hw
>> ??                 \cg
>> and that Context only permits these six families?
>
> it can support as many as you want but only a few make sense

If you say so!

> you can combine such combinations in typefaces and mix then any way and
> use multiple such mixtures in one document

I'm sure it's easy if you know how.  I'm just trying to find out how.

>> (major axis: rm, it, sl, ui; minor axis:  rg, ac, sc, sw, in, su, nu,
>> de, po, pl, to, tl  +  ornaments, which handles all of the variations
>> that Adobe makes, anyway).  Maybe I'll be able to reproduce it once I
>> get this working.
>
> sounds complex ..

It's very easy to use, and it allows me to access any feature of my
fonts with a digraph switch.  Also, it keeps the different kinds of
shapes on independent axes, so I can say:
\it 123 \in 456 \bd 238 \rm 909
to get the numbers set in:
italic; italic inferiors; bold italic inferiors; bold roman inferiors,
because I also have the weight and width on separate axes.
I can't imagine anything simpler to use.

> it's more like:
>
> [typefaceone|typefacetwo|...| [rm|ss|tt|..] [tf|it|..]

That looks like a much more complicated font switch.
What command are those arguments to?

> so if you want a smallcaps set, you'd best do something
>
> \definetypeface[Whatever]         [....]
> \definetypeface[WhateverSmallcaps][....]
>
> and then switch the lot to smallcaps using a typeface switch (which is
> quite fast) instead of defining all kind of extra smallcaps instances
> within the main typeface

You are saying that putting:
\definetypeface[WhateverSmallcaps] [undocumented argument]
[undocumented argument] [some other typescript somewhere]

in one file and then invoking it in another with (I think maybe?):
\usetypescript[that other typescript from somewhere]
\usebodyfont[WhateverSmallcaps]

is easier than saying:

\sc

?

* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 77
@ 2010-03-14 16:42   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-14 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-3-2010 17:21, Michael Saunders wrote:

> It's very easy to use, and it allows me to access any feature of my
> fonts with a digraph switch.  Also, it keeps the different kinds of
> shapes on independent axes, so I can say:
> \it 123 \in 456 \bd 238 \rm 909
> to get the numbers set in:

such short commands can clash ... for instance \in is a command already

> italic; italic inferiors; bold italic inferiors; bold roman inferiors,
> because I also have the weight and width on separate axes.
> I can't imagine anything simpler to use.

> in one file and then invoking it in another with (I think maybe?):
> \usetypescript[that other typescript from somewhere]
> \usebodyfont[WhateverSmallcaps]
>
> is easier than saying:
>
> \sc

\WhateverSmallcaps would work as well

the advantage is that if you then do

{\WhateverSmallcaps bla \bf bla} you'd get a bold smallcaps, given that
there is one; if we're talking open type, a dynamic feature switch works
as well: \addff{smallcaps}

some of these mkii things (\os, \sc) are often side effects of tex
originally using cm fonts mostly, where oldstyle were sitting in a math
font so we needed a special command

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-03-14 20:52   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-03-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 14, 2010, at 5:21 PM, Michael Saunders wrote:

> I can't imagine anything simpler to use.

That may be a lack of imagination on your part. If you want something that follows LaTeX rules, it might be a good idea to use LaTeX. It would have been a good idea to say so from the start instead of wasting my time.

Thomas