* Footnotes and Marginal texts
@ 2015-02-14 23:04 Robert Krug
From: Robert Krug @ 2015-02-14 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings,

I am working on a document with many annotations of different types,
and have a couple of questions.

(Before the questions, though, I am quite impressed with ConTeXt so
far.  It is much nicer to work with than any of the TeX or LaTeX packages
I have worked with before.)

First, what is the preferred way to get marginal text?  Is \margintext,
\inmargin, or some other the current best practice?

Second, is there a way to get marginal text for a footnote?  Here is a
minimal working example:

\starttext

Text for
the\footnote{A\margintext{Where am I?} footnote.}
main\margintext{I am here.}
body.

\stoptext

Finally, is there a way to have different classes of footnotes?  I would like
to have three classes of footnotes to be displayed something like:

——
1. first footnote of class 1
2. second footnote of class 1.
——
a. first footnote of class 2.
b. second footnote of class 2.
——
1. first footnote of class 3.
2. second footnote of class 3.

That is, the footnotes of each class should appear together, with a “normal” footnote rule
above them.  Each class of footnotes should also have its own numbering scheme.

Footnotes of class 1 are “regular” footnotes in the main text body.

Footnotes of class 2 will be longer, and will occasionally be more than one paragraph.
They, also, will occur in the main text body.  To complicate matters, they may have
marginal notes and footnotes (of class 3).

Footnotes of class 3 are footnotes that occur in footnotes of class 2.

Many thanks,
Robert

* Re: Footnotes and Marginal texts
@ 2015-02-15 12:26 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-02-15 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/15/2015 12:04 AM, Robert Krug wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am working on a document with many annotations of different types,
> and have a couple of questions.
>
> (Before the questions, though, I am quite impressed with ConTeXt so
> far.  It is much nicer to work with than any of the TeX or LaTeX packages
> I have worked with before.)
>
> First, what is the preferred way to get marginal text?  Is \margintext,
> \inmargin, or some other the current best practice?
>
> Second, is there a way to get marginal text for a footnote?  Here is a
> minimal working example:
>

> \starttext
>
> Text for
> the\footnote{A\margintext{Where am I?} footnote.}
> main\margintext{I am here.}
> body.
>
> \stoptext
>

> Finally, is there a way to have different classes of footnotes?  I would like
> to have three classes of footnotes to be displayed something like:
>

> ——
> 1. first footnote of class 1
> 2. second footnote of class 1.
> ——
> a. first footnote of class 2.
> b. second footnote of class 2.
> ——
> 1. first footnote of class 3.
> 2. second footnote of class 3.
>

> That is, the footnotes of each class should appear together, with a “normal” footnote rule
> above them.  Each class of footnotes should also have its own numbering scheme.
>
> Footnotes of class 1 are “regular” footnotes in the main text body.
>
> Footnotes of class 2 will be longer, and will occasionally be more than one paragraph.
> They, also, will occur in the main text body.  To complicate matters, they may have
> marginal notes and footnotes (of class 3).
>
> Footnotes of class 3 are footnotes that occur in footnotes of class 2.

\definenote[NoteA]
\definenote[NoteB]
\definenote[NoteC]

\starttext

     Text for the \NoteA{A\margintext[scope=local]{Where am I?} footnote A.}
     main\inleft{I am here.} body.

     Text for the \NoteB{B\margintext[scope=local]{Where am I?} footnote B.}
     main\inleft{I am here.} body.

     Text for the \NoteC{C\margintext[scope=local]{Where am I?} footnote C.}
     main\inleft{I am here.} body.

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-02-16  0:04   ` Robert Krug
From: Robert Krug @ 2015-02-16  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is definite progress.  Thanks.  But I don’t see footnotes of type NoteC
when used inside a NoteB.  Example:

==========

\definenote[NoteA]
\definenote[NoteB]
\definenote[NoteC]

\setupnotation[NoteB][numberconversion=characters]
\setupnotation[NoteC][numberconversion=Romannumerals]

\starttext

  Text for the \NoteB{B\margintext[scope=local]{Where am I?} footnote
    \NoteC{C footnote C.}  B.}  main body.

  Text for the \NoteA{A first footnote A.} main\inleft{I am here.} body.

  Text for the \NoteA{A second footnote A.} body.

\stoptext

This seems related to an even simpler example from the Wiki

\starttext

This\footnote{Or that\footnote{Or possibly even the other.}, if you
prefer.} is a sentence with a footnote.

\stoptext

Robert