From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Bibliography in MKIV, custom rendering
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 10:54:53 +0200	[thread overview]

On 8/11/2017 8:58 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2017-08-11 10:01, Alan Braslau wrote:
>>

>> 2) Apple Inc. is not a name so you should not be using author:
>> organization is more appropriate.
>>
> I do not think that this should be the case.
>
> APA and Chicago/Turbanian (and doubtless others) accept association
> names as author names, and provide rules for handling them.

and as a consequence i bet this is why journals get typeset partly by
hand (tweak and cheat on these things) ... and why each publisher then
has its own style (with cheats and tricks)

> The lack of either an author or an editor is currently flagged in
> ConTeXt as an error for books and perhaps other bibtex entry types as
> well. Or do you mean to apply this recommendation to only the electronic
> type or some other limited subset of types?
>
> Perhaps it is better to use the association name as an author and
> protect it with a layer of curlies or quotation marks, as {{Apple,
> Inc.}}, "{Apple, Inc.}", or '{Apple, Inc.}', any one of which will do

one can do that of course (an dit will work) but then someone will come
along and say that ...

our recomendation is that one spends some time on a proper database as
it pays off

> the job and also serve to prevent what would surely be unwanted
> abbreviation for styles that abbreviate what are parsed as given names.
we really try to get away from fuzzyness ... in fact, the bib format or
at least the way it's often used is a structural coding nightmare (and
often tex commands are then used to bypass things) .. i think that it
never went through a proper 'design, test, review, revise' cycle

reverse engineering what is there + side effects took us quite a while
and esp the author bit is a pain (this parsing) ... there have been
proposals for alternatives in the past decades (take mlbibtex) but so
far we're stuck with historic stuff: making a database in a format that
is not that suitable (no nesting) using practices that are counter
intuitive and demand lots of obscure magic

(one day Alan will wrap this up in an article)

Hans