* [NTG-context] Inline mathematics is stretched
@ 2023-10-29 12:33 Mia Bikey
From: Mia Bikey @ 2023-10-29 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was using \setupalign[verytolerant,stretch] so that the mono font does
not go inside the right inline image but after using that command the
inline math seems to spread.

Here is a Minimal Working Example:

ConTeXt  ver: 2023.09.26 18:19 LMTX

\setupbodyfont[10pt, mono]

This is how it should look. \\
When $a, b, c$ are given, two values of $x$ and no more can be found which
shall make the function $ax^2 + bx + c$ vanish; that is, the equation
always has two roots and no more. The roots may be equal or unequal, real
or imaginary, according to circumstances. \\

\starttext

\setupalign[stretch]
This paragraph seems to look fine on 12pt. \\
When $a, b, c$ are given, two values of $x$ and no more can be found which
shall make the function $ax^2 + bx + c$ vanish; that is, the equation
always has two roots and no more. The roots may be equal or unequal, real
or imaginary, according to circumstances. \\

\setupalign[verytolerant, nothyphenated]
It looks even worse when I also use verytolerant and nothyphenated. \\
When $a, b, c$ are given, two values of $x$ and no more can be found which
shall make the function $ax^2 + bx + c$ vanish; that is, the equation
always has two roots and no more. The roots may be equal or unequal, real
or imaginary, according to circumstances.

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #2: Thisishowitlooks.pdf --]

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Inline mathematics is stretched
@ 2023-10-29 22:16 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
       [not found]   ` <CALdMdOH+5xHa4jN=S-QiQA708G6wdBaO1GR9ej=UfZ=WbfT4WQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-10-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/29/2023 1:33 PM, Mia Bikey wrote:
> Hi,
> I was using \setupalign[verytolerant,stretch] so that the mono font does
> not go inside the right inline image but after using that command the
> inline math seems to spread.
how about just using this

\setupbodyfont[concrete]

\starttext

When $a, b, c$ are given, two values of $x$ and no more can be found
which shall make the function $ax^2 + bx + c$ vanish; that is, the
equation always has two roots and no more. The roots may be equal or
unequal, real or imaginary, according to circumstances.

\stoptext

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2023-10-30  7:28     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-10-30  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/30/2023 8:05 AM, Mia Bikey wrote:
> Yes well of course no issue arises if I just change the whole font.
> But I wanted to keep using the mono font thus reporting issues with it.
In that case you have to go for flushleft

\setupalign[verytolerant,nothyphenated,flushleft]

because otherwise tex will try to come to the best solution by using
stretch and shrink and therefore stretch and shrink in interatom spacing
wins over little or none in mono spacing

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl