* Hyphenation pattern for Esperanto
@ 2020-10-12 11:34 Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2020-10-12 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liste ConTeXt

* Re: Hyphenation pattern for Esperanto
@ 2020-10-12 14:38 ` Mojca Miklavec
       [not found]   ` <898e5df9-90bf-8f65-f002-2a1dc623fab4@leliseron.org>
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2020-10-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Alain,

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 at 13:44, Alain Delmotte wrote:

> I'd like to have hyphenation for Esperanto; it doesn't exist in ConTeXt but exist in TeX/LaTeX.
>
> Would it be difficult to create the Esperanto file for ConTeXt?

The plain text version is already in the correct form:
    https://github.com/hyphenation/tex-hyphen/blob/master/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/txt/hyph-eo.pat.txt
so it should be just a matter of Hans including the patterns in the
distribution.

Usually he asks for translations of basic strings (like "Chapter"
etc.) when adding support for a new language ;)

Mojca

* Re: Hyphenation pattern for Esperanto
       [not found]     ` <CALBOmsbcqA4DJoj93F+4yK304q_wt8fhVXu3H9tSV_t13R_eEw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-10-14 15:36       ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2020-10-14 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liste ConTeXt

* Re: Hyphenation pattern for Esperanto
@ 2020-10-14 16:40         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-10-14 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/14/2020 5:36 PM, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> Dear Mojca,
>
> I did just repond to the message without remarking that I was only
> answering to you; I'll take care inthe future.
>
> I'll check if the two list are the same, after expanding the condensed
> one. And after I'll go to Hans.

As Mojca pointed out, we need to setup a language:

% Artificial Languages: Esperanto

\installlanguage
   [\s!esperanto]
   [%\c!spacing=\v!packed,
    %\c!leftsentence=\emdash,
    %\c!rightsentence=\emdash,
    %\c!leftsubsentence=\emdash,
    %\c!rightsubsentence=\emdash,
    %\c!leftquote=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
    %\c!rightquote=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
    %\c!leftquotation=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
    %\c!rightquotation=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
    %\c!date={\v!year,~m.,\space,\v!month,\space,\v!day,~d.},
    \s!patterns=eo,
    \s!lefthyphenmin=2,
    \s!righthyphenmin=2]

apart from labels as in lang-txt.lua because otherwise it's not that
useful to have it I guess.

Hans

@ 2020-12-22 20:02           ` Alain Delmotte
       [not found]             ` <20210221224827.GA10242@akela.mendelu.cz>
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2020-12-22 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen, liste ConTeXt

[-- Attachment #2: hyphen-eo.zip --]
[-- Type: application/x-zip-compressed, Size: 6528 bytes --]

* Re: Hyphenation pattern for Esperanto
@ 2020-12-23 18:39             ` Mojca Miklavec
       [not found]             ` <20210221224827.GA10242@akela.mendelu.cz>
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2020-12-23 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Alain,

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 at 21:02, Alain Delmotte wrote:

> Hi Hans and Mojca,
>
> I join a file containing the list of patterns for Esperanto

This one shouldn't be needed unless you believe that there is an issue
with the existing patterns.

> and the definition/translation of the general words for titles, glossaries,...
>
> Now regarding the labels, how could I provide the translations? Should I add a line with translation for each term (or the most important, I have seen that the French labels are not all translated)?

Ideally take the latest version of lang-txt.lua, add a line for
esperanto for each translation and send it to Hans.

We ideally need them in a similar for as for other languages.

Feel free to provide additions for French as well. (I guess in that
case Hans will send the changes for proofreading to at least another
member.)

I'm not exactly up-to-date about what other settings might be needed
in addition, but translations inside lang-txt.lua sound like a good
starting point.

Mojca

@ 2021-02-22 14:01               ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2021-02-22 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Hyphenation pattern for Esperanto
@ 2021-02-22 16:26                 ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2021-02-22 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Alain,

in my email, I used official language codes: be=Belarussian, bg=Bulgarian, sr=Serbian.

The \installlanguage command is very important because it contains
definitions of the most frequently used typographic elements of the
given language, for details see below.

Looking forward for both lang-txt files. The sooner you will send it, the better.

The best,

Tomáš

Mon, Feb 22, 2021 ve 03:01:41PM +0100 Alain Delmotte napsal(a):
#    Hi Tomáš,
#
#    Thanks for your message.
#
#    First which country is "be"? If Belgium, pay attention that there are
#    three languages: Dutch (Flemish) French (a little bit different from
#    France French) and German (1% of the population).
#
#    Could you explain me the meaning of:
#
#    Le 21/02/2021 à 23:48, Tomas Hala a écrit :
#
#  And this one is also needed:
#
#  #      \installlanguage
#  #        [\s!esperanto]
#  #        [\c!spacing=\v!packed,
#  #         %\c!leftsentence=\emdash,
#  #         %\c!rightsentence=\emdash,
#  #         %\c!leftsubsentence=\emdash,
#  #         %\c!rightsubsentence=\emdash,
#  #         %\c!leftquote=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
#  #         %\c!rightquote=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
#  #         %\c!leftquotation=\lowerleftdoubleninequote,
#  #         %\c!rightquotation=\upperrightdoublesixquote,
#  #         %\c!date={\v!year,~m.,\space,\v!month,\space,\v!day,~d.},
#  #         \s!patterns=eo,
#  #         \s!lefthyphenmin=2,
#  #         \s!righthyphenmin=2]

Values for \installlanguage:

* spacing: packed means no difference between interword and intersentence spaces.
* (left|right)sentence: punctuation marks -- very often dashes -- for included parts in some sentences.
* (left|right)quotation: definition of primary quotation marks.
* (left|right)quote: definition of secondary (nested) quotation marks.
* (left|right)hyphenmin: number of characters at the end of a line and at the beginning of the next line when the word is hyphenated.
* date: how the date should be typically typeset: order, spacing, or other signs or abbreviation or texts.

Those I do not know for eo, have been marked with a percent sign.

#    I have seen that the \lowerleftdoubleninequote,... are sometimes given by
#    the character itself “ ”,...
#    For the date, is it the order of the part of the date yyy mm dd?
#
#    I did prepare the file lang-txt.lua and did send it to two friends for
#    checking, I wait for their answer (I hope not to long).
#
#    I also have the pattern for hyphenation, the one from TeXLive uses
#    fonctions to shorten the length of the file.
#
#    For French, I'll do it and send it to you.
#
#    Thanks for taking care of this.
#
#      Regards,