* Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-01 13:45 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-12-01 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I have to typeset a few files which get each an input file named in a certain way. For instance, a file named « myfile.tex » in which another file named « myfile-buffer.tex » is used as an \input file, as in

% content of myfile.tex
%%%%%
\starttext
This is a test.

\input myfile-buffer.tex
\stoptext
%%%%%

 When typesetting « myfile.tex » I wonder whether it is possible to get the name of the file without its suffix, that is to get « myfile », with a command such as
\getNameOfCurrentFile
and then be able to replace the above snippet by:

% desired content of myfile.tex
 %%%%%
\starttext
This is a test.

\input \getNameOfCurrentFile-buffer.tex
\stoptext
%%%%%

Best regards and thanks for any hint: Otared K.

* Re: Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-01 14:25 ` Tomas Hala
From: Tomas Hala @ 2020-12-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Otared,

try \jobname.

Best wishes,

Tomáš

Tue, Dec 01, 2020 ve 02:45:18PM +0100 Otared Kavian napsal(a):
# Hi everyone,
#
# I have to typeset a few files which get each an input file named in a certain way. For instance, a file named « myfile.tex » in which another file named « myfile-buffer.tex » is used as an \input file, as in
#
# % content of myfile.tex
# %%%%%
# \starttext
# This is a test.
#
# \input myfile-buffer.tex
# \stoptext
# %%%%%
#
#  When typesetting « myfile.tex » I wonder whether it is possible to get the name of the file without its suffix, that is to get « myfile », with a command such as
# \getNameOfCurrentFile
# and then be able to replace the above snippet by:
#
# % desired content of myfile.tex
#  %%%%%
# \starttext
# This is a test.
#
# \input \getNameOfCurrentFile-buffer.tex
# \stoptext
# %%%%%
#
# Best regards and thanks for any hint: Otared K.
# ___________________________________________________________________________________
# If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry to the Wiki!
#
# maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / http://www.ntg.nl/mailman/listinfo/ntg-context
# webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://context.aanhet.net
# archive  : https://bitbucket.org/phg/context-mirror/commits/
# wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
# ___________________________________________________________________________________

                                         Tomáš Hála

* Re: Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-01 15:20   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-12-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Tomás! Indeed \jobname does the job :-)

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-12-01 16:33     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-12-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.12.2020 um 16:20 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:
>
> Thanks Tomás! Indeed \jobname does the job :-)

In case you need the current component file in a project environment: \currentcomponent

Hraban

* Re: Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-01 17:10       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-12-01 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hraban, this might be also useful and I'll keep it somewhere on my mind, but for the project I was asking my question \jobname is enough.

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-12-01 17:23         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-12-01 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Otared Kavian schrieb am 01.12.2020 um 18:10:
> Thanks Hraban, this might be also useful and I'll keep it somewhere on my mind, but for the project I was asking my question \jobname is enough.
>
> Best regards: Otared
>> On 1 Dec 2020, at 17:33, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net> wrote:
>>> Am 01.12.2020 um 16:20 schrieb Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Thanks Tomás! Indeed \jobname does the job :-)
>> In case you need the current component file in a project environment: \currentcomponent

In some case \inputfilename is the better choice, e.g. when you process
xml files with a environment file for the style and processing settings.

     context --environment=myxmlstyle myfile.xml

The following example shows the output of all commands:

\starttext
\starttabulate [|T|T|]
\NC \type{\jobname}           \NC \jobname           \NC\NR
\NC \type{\jobfilename}       \NC \jobfilename       \NC\NR
\NC \type{\jobfilesuffix}     \NC \jobfilesuffix     \NC\NR
\NC \type{\inputfilename}     \NC \inputfilename     \NC\NR
\NC \type{\inputfilebarename} \NC \inputfilebarename \NC\NR
\NC \type{\inputfilesuffix}   \NC \inputfilesuffix   \NC\NR
\NC \type{\outputfilename}    \NC \outputfilename    \NC\NR
\NC \type{\operatingsystem}   \NC \operatingsystem   \NC\NR
\stoptabulate
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-01 17:55           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-12-01 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for your explanations: I am wondering whether this kind of information could go into the wiki, and if yes what would be an appropriate title for that page (of course I'll do it).

However the two commands

\inputfilesuffix
\jobfilesuffix

Best regards: Otared

@ 2020-12-01 18:47             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-12-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/1/2020 6:55 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Thank you for your explanations: I am wondering whether this kind of information could go into the wiki, and if yes what would be an appropriate title for that page (of course I'll do it).
>
> However the two commands
>
> \inputfilesuffix
> \jobfilesuffix

tex is the default suffix in engines

Hans

* Re: Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-04  7:02           ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-12-04  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.12.2020 um 18:23 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
>
> The following example shows the output of all commands:
>
> \starttext
> \starttabulate [|T|T|]
> \NC \type{\jobname}           \NC \jobname           \NC\NR
> \NC \type{\jobfilename}       \NC \jobfilename       \NC\NR
> \NC \type{\jobfilesuffix}     \NC \jobfilesuffix     \NC\NR
> \NC \type{\inputfilename}     \NC \inputfilename     \NC\NR
> \NC \type{\inputfilebarename} \NC \inputfilebarename \NC\NR
> \NC \type{\inputfilesuffix}   \NC \inputfilesuffix   \NC\NR
> \NC \type{\outputfilename}    \NC \outputfilename    \NC\NR
> \NC \type{\operatingsystem}   \NC \operatingsystem   \NC\NR
> \stoptabulate
> \stoptext

On MacOS 10.13 the result of \operatingsystem is „osx-ppc“.
That was a surprise:-)

Greetings
Axel

* Re: Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-04  9:04             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-12-04  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/4/2020 8:02 AM, Axel Kielhorn wrote:

>> Am 01.12.2020 um 18:23 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
>>
>> The following example shows the output of all commands:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \starttabulate [|T|T|]
>> \NC \type{\jobname}           \NC \jobname           \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{\jobfilename}       \NC \jobfilename       \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{\jobfilesuffix}     \NC \jobfilesuffix     \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{\inputfilename}     \NC \inputfilename     \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{\inputfilebarename} \NC \inputfilebarename \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{\inputfilesuffix}   \NC \inputfilesuffix   \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{\outputfilename}    \NC \outputfilename    \NC\NR
>> \NC \type{\operatingsystem}   \NC \operatingsystem   \NC\NR
>> \stoptabulate
>> \stoptext
>
> On MacOS 10.13 the result of \operatingsystem is „osx-ppc“.
> That was a surprise:-)
maybe apples are no longer apples

because we cannot check for some env variable directly (at least we
could not reliable when the code was written) a slower echo is used to
check $HOSTTYPE and if we don't recognize something there we end up with
a ppc because that was what osx started with

now, in practice this is not that important because most systems don't
distinguish between 32/64 or some mix wrt paths (i might actually remove
a lot of that stuff because in luamatetex we're more normalized across
platforms)

the apple guesser is tricky because at least in the past there was no
reliable way to figure it out, for instance uname didn't work well and
we had this curious mix of 64 bit machines that osx refused to see as
such (i remember that I had to root something in the old macbook to make
it being seen as 64 bit instead of 32 in order to be able to update)

what does your "echo $HOSTTYPE" mention?

Hans

* Re: Getting the filename which is being typeset
@ 2020-12-05  8:38               ` Axel Kielhorn
From: Axel Kielhorn @ 2020-12-05  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 04.12.2020 um 10:04 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>:
>
> On 12/4/2020 8:02 AM, Axel Kielhorn wrote:
>>> Am 01.12.2020 um 18:23 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> The following example shows the output of all commands:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \starttabulate [|T|T|]
>>> \NC \type{\jobname}           \NC \jobname           \NC\NR
>>> \NC \type{\jobfilename}       \NC \jobfilename       \NC\NR
>>> \NC \type{\jobfilesuffix}     \NC \jobfilesuffix     \NC\NR
>>> \NC \type{\inputfilename}     \NC \inputfilename     \NC\NR
>>> \NC \type{\inputfilebarename} \NC \inputfilebarename \NC\NR
>>> \NC \type{\inputfilesuffix}   \NC \inputfilesuffix   \NC\NR
>>> \NC \type{\outputfilename}    \NC \outputfilename    \NC\NR
>>> \NC \type{\operatingsystem}   \NC \operatingsystem   \NC\NR
>>> \stoptabulate
>>> \stoptext
>> On MacOS 10.13 the result of \operatingsystem is „osx-ppc“.
>> That was a surprise:-)
> maybe apples are no longer apples

They lost the Power when they became Intelligent, and now they get ARMed.

> because we cannot check for some env variable directly (at least we could not reliable when the code was written) a slower echo is used to check $HOSTTYPE and if we don't recognize something there we end up with a ppc because that was what osx started with
>
> now, in practice this is not that important because most systems don't distinguish between 32/64 or some mix wrt paths (i might actually remove a lot of that stuff because in luamatetex we're more normalized across platforms)
>
> the apple guesser is tricky because at least in the past there was no reliable way to figure it out, for instance uname didn't work well and we had this curious mix of 64 bit machines that osx refused to see as such (i remember that I had to root something in the old macbook to make it being seen as 64 bit instead of 32 in order to be able to update)
>
> what does your "echo $HOSTTYPE" mention?

Melora:~ axel$ echo $HOSTTYPE
x86_64
Melora:~ axel$ uname -a
Darwin 17.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 17.7.0: Fri Oct 30 13:34:27 PDT 2020; root:xnu-4570.71.82.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

This computer thinks it is Intel based.

Greetings
Axel