* languages
@ 2021-07-18 14:39 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2021-07-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

Here is something I think that should be added to the documentation.

In the ConTeXt garden (page Command/mainlanguage) the description is:

mainlanguage Set the language of auto-generated language elements, like the title of the table of contents or the appendix.

On the Command/language page:

Change the hyphenation rules, quotation marks, all that sort of thing, to that of a different language. (The default language is English.)

Testing showed that \mainlanguage sets both \currentlanguage and \currentmainlanguage to the same value, while \language sets \currentlanguage only.

My suggestion is to add info to this behaviour to the mainlanguage page, reflecting the fact that \mainlanguage does set both \currentlanguage and \currentmainlanguage.Which is not apparent from the current documentation.

Another solution would be to separate \language and \mainlanguage completely. An option I would prefer for clarity, because now the order of calling \language and \mainlanguage makes a difference.

dr. Hans van der Meer

* Re: languages
@ 2021-07-18 19:37 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-07-18 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer schrieb am 18.07.2021 um 16:39:
> Here is something I think that should be added to the documentation.
>
> /In the ConTeXt garden (page Command/mainlanguage) the description is:/
>
> mainlanguage Set the language of auto-generated language elements,
> like the title of the table of contents or the appendix.
>
> /On the Command/language page:/
>
> Change the hyphenation rules, quotation marks, all that sort of thing,
> to that of a different language. (The default language is English.)
>
> Testing showed that \mainlanguage sets both \currentlanguage and
> \currentmainlanguage to the same value, while \language sets
> \currentlanguage only.
>
> My suggestion is to add info to this behaviour to the mainlanguage
> page, reflecting the fact that \mainlanguage does set both
> \currentlanguage and \currentmainlanguage.Which is not apparent from
> the current documentation.

It's a wiki, it's possible to add the information yourself.

> Another solution would be to separate \language and \mainlanguage
> completely. An option I would prefer for clarity, because now the
> order of calling \language and \mainlanguage makes a difference.

1. You're breaking nearly every existing document.

2. \language is only needed when you use more than 1 language in a
document, otherwise \mainlanguage is enough to change labels and
hyphentation patterns.

Wolfgang

* Re: languages
@ 2005-02-27 10:23   ` h h extern
From: h h extern @ 2005-02-27 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

VnPenguin wrote:

> Vietnamese lang uses empty hyphenation pattern.

ok, se i've now added:

<description language='vn'>
     <comment>Vietnamese needs no patterns.</comment>
</description>

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: languages
@ 2005-02-25 21:48 ` VnPenguin
From: VnPenguin @ 2005-02-25 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:23:09 +0100, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is an xml file that describes the hyphenation pattern files. I'd
> appreciate checking (some records are incomplete). I'd also like to add (for
> each language) a couple of tricky hyphenatable words [for testing]. Preferable
> in utf-8 encoding. There is room for more comments as well, like: prefered input
> and font encodings etc.
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

Vietnamese lang uses empty hyphenation pattern.

FYI,
Q.

* Re: languages
@ 2005-02-25 10:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-25 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> How can I try it (hyphenation)? I did
>
> \enableregime[utf]
> \mainlanguage[sl]
> \starttext
> Železničar
> \showhyphens{Železničar}
> \showhyphens{zeleznicar}
> \showhyphens{mojca pokrajculja}
> \stoptext

can you send me a zip with that test file? my mailer cq. cut/paste messes up the
encoding

keep in mind that utf is an input encoding regime, while hyphenation is based on
font encodings; in principle each font encoding that has all chars needed for a
language can be used, but the patterns need to be loaded

also, the name of the pattern files for slovenian have changes (si vs sl), which
is one of the reasons for context going to ship its own pattern files

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: languages
@ 2005-02-25  3:09 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-02-25  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is an xml file that describes the hyphenation pattern files.
> I'd appreciate checking (some records are incomplete). I'd also like to
> add (for each language) a couple of tricky hyphenatable words [for
> testing]. Preferable in utf-8 encoding. There is room for more comments
> as well, like: prefered input and font encodings etc.
>
> Hans

Leon "Zlajpah should probably be changed to Leon \v{Z}lajpah (or Žlajpah
if in Unicode) (I suppose the information by itself is correct.)

(There's a comment "Use of code page 852 in patterns", which probably
remained from the "old good DOS times".)

Default encoding? 98% use cp1250, some Linux people use latin2. (well,
maybe there are still freaks somewhere on this planet using cp852 :)
UTF 8 should be(come) standard, but it is coming pretty slowly.
But writing UTF8 as the default encoding in ConTeXt should be OK.

How can I try it (hyphenation)? I did

\enableregime[utf]
\mainlanguage[sl]
\starttext
Železničar
\showhyphens{Železničar}
\showhyphens{zeleznicar}
\showhyphens{mojca pokrajculja}
\stoptext

It should be že-le-zni-čar (ze-le-zni-car) and moj-ca po-kraj-cu-lja (in
latex "mojca" is hyphenated wrong anyway), but in ConTeXt the first two
don't get hyphenated at all and the second one becomes mo-j-ca
pokra-jcul-ja. I guess the Slovenian patterns are not loaded at all.

One more question about language specific issues: we always write
	1. first section
	2. second section
	2.1. subsection
	2.2. some other subsection
	2.2.1. some subsubsection
(with a dot before the space after every (sub)section). What is the best
place to store the default settings to? (For all the other Slovenian
users as well.)

Thank you,
	Mojca

* Re: languages
@ 2005-02-24 18:38   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2005-02-24 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Vit

Sorry for this! - It is corrected in the meantime.

Willi

Vit Zyka wrote:
> Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Attached is an xml file that describes the hyphenation pattern files.
>> I'd appreciate checking (some records are incomplete). I'd also like to
>

> I do not known any relation about
>     <copyright>
>         <year>1998-2001</year>
>         <owner>Walter Schmidt</owner>
>         <comment>Adaption to new German orthography</comment>
>     </copyright>
> in Czech section.
>
>> add (for each language) a couple of tricky hyphenatable words [for
>> testing]. Preferable in utf-8 encoding. There is room for more
>> comments as well, like: prefered input and font encodings etc.
>

> Attached.
>
> Vit

* Re: languages
@ 2005-02-24 11:02 ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2005-02-24 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is an xml file that describes the hyphenation pattern files.
> I'd appreciate checking (some records are incomplete). I'd also like to

I do not known any relation about
     <copyright>
         <year>1998-2001</year>
         <owner>Walter Schmidt</owner>
         <comment>Adaption to new German orthography</comment>
     </copyright>
in Czech section.

> add (for each language) a couple of tricky hyphenatable words [for
> testing]. Preferable in utf-8 encoding. There is room for more comments
> as well, like: prefered input and font encodings etc.

Attached.

Vit

[-- Attachment #2: patterns-cz.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 253 bytes --]

* languages
@ 2005-02-23 17:23 Hans Hagen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-02-23 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Attached is an xml file that describes the hyphenation pattern files. I'd
appreciate checking (some records are incomplete). I'd also like to add (for
each language) a couple of tricky hyphenatable words [for testing]. Preferable
in utf-8 encoding. There is room for more comments as well, like: prefered input
and font encodings etc.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Languages
@ 2002-02-07 19:52 ` Alberto Nespoli
From: Alberto Nespoli @ 2002-02-07 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alle 17.34 di mercoledì  6 febbraio 2002,
  Giuseppe Bilotta scrisse:

[...]

>                 danish: danish          danish
>                         danish          danish
>                         danese          danish
>                swedish: swedish         swedish
>                         swedish         swedish
>                         danese          swedish
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
		          svedese

[...]

--
   Alberto N.

Per una risposta via SMS:
http://www.gtn.it/sma/sms.php?auth=:AC:D5:9D:1Fh:08J:81

* Re: Languages
@ 2002-02-07  6:34   ` Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2002-02-07  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

> >Here's the framework ... unknown are left in English
> >(not sure they should be elements either ...)
>
> I can add the Czech ones... (with the accents if there is someway of
> incorporating them)

Here there are for Romanian:

 \startelements          dutch           english
                         german          czech
                         italian         romanian

                turkish: turkish         turkish
                         turkish         turkish    Tureck\'y
                         turco           turkish    Turc\u a
                chinese: chinese         chinese
                         chinese         chinese    \vC\'insk\'y
                         cinese          chinese  Chinez\u a
                  dutch: dutch           dutch
                         dutch           dutch      Nizozemsk\'y
                         olandese        dutch Olandez\u a
                english: english         english
                         english         english    Anglick\'y
                         inglese         english Englez\u a
                 german: german          german
                         german          german     N\vemeck\'y
                         tedesco         german German\u a
              usenglish: usenglish       usenglish
                         usenglish       usenglish  USAnglick\'y
                         statunitense    usenglish USEnglez\u a
              ukenglish: ukenglish       ukenglish
                         ukenglish       ukenglish  VBAnglick\'y
                         britannico      ukenglish UKEnglez\u a
                 danish: danish          danish
                         danish          danish     D\'ansk\'y
                         danese          danish Danez\u a
                swedish: swedish         swedish
                         swedish         swedish    \vSw\'edsk\'y
                         danese          swedish Suedez\u a
              afrikaans: afrikaans       afrikaans
                         afrikaans       afrikaans  ??
                         afrikaans       afrikaans Afrikaans
              norwegian: norwegian       norwegian
                         norwegian       norwegian  Norsk\'y
                         norvegese       norwegian Norvegian\u a
                 french: french          french
                         french          french     Francovsk\'y
                         francese        french Francez\u a
                spanish: spanish         spanish
                         spanish         spanish    \vSpan\velsk\'y
                         spagnolo        spanish Spaniol\u a
                italian: italian         italian
                         italian         italian    Italsk\'y
                         italiano        italian Italian\u a
               romanian: romanian        romanian
                         romanian        romanian   Rumunsk\'y
                         rumeno          romanian Rom\^an\u a
                  latin: latin           latin
                         latin           latin      Latinsk\'y
                         latino          latin Latin\u a
             portuguese: portuguese      portuguese
                         portuguese      portuguese Portugalsk\'y
                         portoghese      portuguese Portughez\u a
                 polish: poolse          polish
                         polish          polish     Polsk\'y
                         polacco         polish Polonez\u a
                  czech: tsjechische     czech
                         czech           czech      \vCesk\'y
                         ceco            czech Ceh\u a
                 slovak: slovaakse       slovak
                         slovak          slovak     Slov\'ensk\'y
                         slovacco        slovak Slovac\u a
               croatian: croatian        croatian
                         croatian        croatian   Chrovatsk\'y
                         croato          croatian Croat\u a
 \stopelements

BTW, Hans, can you add the trick for Romanian typesetting of commaaccent
instead of cedilla (in Romanian \c s, \c t, \c S, \c T use a comma under the
letter and not a cedilla)

Sincerely,
Dan Seracu
dans@sintezis.rdsor.ro
danseracu@yahoo.com

* Re: Languages
@ 2002-02-07  0:00 ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2002-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message <1291072031.20020206173431@bigfoot.com>,
on Wed, 6 Feb 2002 at 17:34:31, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Here's the framework ... unknown are left in English
>(not sure they should be elements either ...)

I can add the Czech ones... (with the accents if there is someway of
incorporating them)

\startelements          dutch           english
                        german          czech
                        italian         romanian

               turkish: turkish         turkish
                        turkish         turkish    Tureck\'y
                        turco           turkish
               chinese: chinese         chinese
                        chinese         chinese    \vC\'insk\'y
                        cinese          chinese
                 dutch: dutch           dutch
                        dutch           dutch      Nizozemsk\'y
                        olandese        dutch
               english: english         english
                        english         english    Anglick\'y
                        inglese         english
                german: german          german
                        german          german     N\vemeck\'y
                        tedesco         german
             usenglish: usenglish       usenglish
                        usenglish       usenglish  USAnglick\'y
                        statunitense    usenglish
             ukenglish: ukenglish       ukenglish
                        ukenglish       ukenglish  VBAnglick\'y
                        britannico      ukenglish
                danish: danish          danish
                        danish          danish     D\'ansk\'y
                        danese          danish
               swedish: swedish         swedish
                        swedish         swedish    \vSw\'edsk\'y
                        danese          swedish
             afrikaans: afrikaans       afrikaans
                        afrikaans       afrikaans  ??
                        afrikaans       afrikaans
             norwegian: norwegian       norwegian
                        norwegian       norwegian  Norsk\'y
                        norvegese       norwegian
                french: french          french
                        french          french     Francovsk\'y
                        francese        french
               spanish: spanish         spanish
                        spanish         spanish    \vSpan\velsk\'y
                        spagnolo        spanish
               italian: italian         italian
                        italian         italian    Italsk\'y
                        italiano        italian
              romanian: romanian        romanian
                        romanian        romanian   Rumunsk\'y
                        rumeno          romanian
                 latin: latin           latin
                        latin           latin      Latinsk\'y
                        latino          latin
            portuguese: portuguese      portuguese
                        portuguese      portuguese Portugalsk\'y
                        portoghese      portuguese
                polish: poolse          polish
                        polish          polish     Polsk\'y
                        polacco         polish
                 czech: tsjechische     czech
                        czech           czech      \vCesk\'y
                        ceco            czech
                slovak: slovaakse       slovak
                        slovak          slovak     Slov\'ensk\'y
                        slovacco        slovak
              croatian: croatian        croatian
                        croatian        croatian   Chrovatsk\'y
                        croato          croatian
\stopelements

Regards,

--
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire

* Re: Languages
@ 2002-02-06 18:41 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-02-06 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

german translations:

>                turkish: turkish         turkish
Türkisch

>                chinese: chinese         chinese
Chinesisch

>                  dutch: dutch           dutch
Niederländisch (Holländisch, Flämisch?)

>                english: english         english
Englisch

>                 german: german          german
Deutsch

>              usenglish: usenglish       usenglish
amerikanisches Englisch, US-Englisch

>              ukenglish: ukenglish       ukenglish
britisches Englisch

>                 danish: danish          danish
Dänisch

>                swedish: swedish         swedish
Schwedisch

>              afrikaans: afrikaans       afrikaans
Afrikaans

>              norwegian: norwegian       norwegian
Norwegisch

>                 french: french          french
Französisch

>                spanish: spanish         spanish
Spanisch

>                italian: italian         italian
Italienisch

>               romanian: romanian        romanian
Rumänisch

>                  latin: latin           latin
Latein(isch)

>             portuguese: portuguese      portuguese
Portugiesisch

>                 polish: poolse          polish
Polnisch

>                  czech: tsjechische     czech
Tschechisch

>                 slovak: slovaakse       slovak
Slowakisch

>               croatian: croatian        croatian
Kroatisch

* Languages
@ 2002-02-06 16:34 Giuseppe Bilotta
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-02-06 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I find it interesting that, in the plethora of customizable and
internationalized stuff presented by ConTeXt, language names are
not translated. Shouldn't they be?

Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Languages
@ 2000-05-31 10:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-31 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:41 AM 5/31/2000 +0300, you wrote:

>why? For the other languages (it, fr) although it is almost the same, it
>does not generate any error...

Because the ro one was not yet defined (happens in mult-sys.tex). I added
in the new beta. These \?? and so are mem savers and make an international
interface possible.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Languages
@ 2000-05-31  8:41 Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2000-05-31  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

Looking into cont-en I understood that I have to generate the format files
again for the language Romanian to be avaible.

But when runing texexec --make --language=en, it generates this error:
!Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \??la \s!ro
		\c!status
	\c!status=\v!stop