From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: Kalouguine Andre via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Cc: Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Using project-local fonts
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2023 22:40:51 +0200	[thread overview]

On 4/13/2023 10:11 PM, Kalouguine Andre via ntg-context wrote:
> On 13.04.2023 21:22, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> EB Garamond is hopelessly broken with respect to hlig and dlig, and
>> has been for quite a while.
>>
>> I reported the problem
>> (https://github.com/octaviopardo/EBGaramond12/issues/20) over five
>> years ago, and the maintainer (if there is one) has done nothing. See
>> also #4 in that issues list
>> (https://github.com/octaviopardo/EBGaramond12/issues/4). There are a
>> couple of forks, but there is no established reference implementation
>> that I can see. The Google Fonts implementation is similarly
>> challenged, perhaps worse.
>>
> Oh, I hadn't realized. I had read somewhere that the TeXlive version was
> simply older than the `Specimen.pdf` document and had some bugs. I
> hadn't realized that it wasn't fixed yet.
> This is unfortunate!
>
> Thanks for the information, you saved me from wasting too much time on that.
the lmtx installation comes with some fonts that we keep from the garden
related git repository so we have control over updates; we can do
somethign similar with popular fonts that we like to be frozen in which
case we can tweak them runtime (when we update we can then reconsider
tweaks)

sometimes it's easier to just accept that there are bugs and fix them
runtime

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE