* margin in TocEntry definition
@ 2021-03-11  2:20 jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-03-11  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I have:

\define[1]\SectionTocEntry{%
#1\crlf% title
\doifnot{\structurelistuservariable{author}}{}{\structurelistuservariable{author}}%
   }

which successfully gives me a ToC with:

Chapter title
Author name

But I want the author name indented by .5cm and do not know how to use
'margin' in the above definition, or some other way of getting the
indentation. I have tried various versions of 'margin' before the
\doifnot part of the definition, but to no avail.

Hopefully I can achieve:

Chapter title

      Author name

Julian

* Re: margin in TocEntry definition
@ 2021-03-11 22:04 ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2021-03-11 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> On 11 Mar 2021, at 02:20, jbf <roma83537@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> I have:
>
> \define[1]\SectionTocEntry{%
> #1\crlf% title
> \doifnot{\structurelistuservariable{author}}{}{\structurelistuservariable{author}}%
>   }
>
> which successfully gives me a ToC with:
>
> Chapter title
> Author name
>
> But I want the author name indented by .5cm and do not know how to use 'margin' in the above definition, or some other way of getting the indentation. I have tried various versions of 'margin' before the \doifnot part of the definition, but to no avail.

There is a very similar previous question that might be what you are looking for.
<https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg97548.html>

Try that but use 'flushleft' instead of 'middle'.

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: margin in TocEntry definition
@ 2021-03-11 22:22   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-03-11 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for trying, Bruce. That earlier question you refer to was for a
similar situation and the answer resolved that one at the time (it was
my question even then!) but not the precise one I am facing now.

The problem, you see, is that \startalignment only offers a few key
words like flushleft, middle etc. and not what I need this time, which
is a precise indentation feature like .5cm. I suppose my real problem is
not being sufficiently au fait with how definitions work. I just can't
seem to get a definition that gives me a result like

Chapter title
    author ..................................... page number

the \startalignment approach with flushleft would not give me the
indentation obviously, and middle does not work for what I need, and
either of them also pushes the page number line down onto the next line,
which I don't want. I tried \skip .5cm, so:

\define[1]\SectionTocEntry{%
#1\crlf% title
\hskip
.5cm\doifnot{\structurelistuservariable{author}}{}{\structurelistuservariable{author}}%
}

But the \hskip is ignored at the beginning of a line. I wonder if there
is something else I can substitute it for?

Julian

@ 2021-03-12  0:03   ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-03-12  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Re: indented line in TocEntry definition:

I have come up with what is probably an inelegant solution (using \-\ so
that \hskip is recognised at the beginning of a line), but it works!
Maybe someone could suggest how to make it more elegant, but for the
moment, it's all I need!

\define[1]\SectionTocEntry{%
#1\crlf% title
\-\ \hskip

@ 2021-03-12  0:51     ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2021-03-12  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbf; +Cc: ntg-context

> On 11 Mar 2021, at 22:22, jbf <roma83537@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for trying, Bruce. That earlier question you refer to was for a similar situation and the answer resolved that one at the time (it was my question even then!) but not the precise one I am facing now.
>
> The problem, you see, is that \startalignment only offers a few key words like flushleft, middle etc. and not what I need this time, which is a precise indentation feature like .5cm. I suppose my real problem is not being sufficiently au fait with how definitions work. I just can't seem to get a definition that gives me a result like
>
> Chapter title
>    author ..................................... page number
>
> the \startalignment approach with flushleft would not give me the indentation obviously, and middle does not work for what I need, and either of them also pushes the page number line down onto the next line, which I don't want. I tried \skip .5cm, so:
>
> \define[1]\SectionTocEntry{%
> #1\crlf% title
> \hskip .5cm\doifnot{\structurelistuservariable{author}}{}{\structurelistuservariable{author}}%
> }
>
> But the \hskip is ignored at the beginning of a line. I wonder if there is something else I can substitute it for?

D'oh! Sorry - completely forgot about the indent.

Best I can come up with at the moment is this - but I'm not sure how to get leading dots.

\starttext

\define[3]\SectionToCEntry{
  #2\crlf
  \leftaligned
  \bgroup
    \hskip 0.5cm
    \structurelistuservariable{author}
    \rightaligned
     \bgroup
     \egroup
  \egroup
}

\setuplist
  [chapter]
  [alternative=command,
   command=\SectionToCEntry,
   after=\endgraf]

\completecontent

\startchapter
  [title={This is my chapter title}]
  [author={Dummy Name}]
\input Tufte
\stopchapter

\stoptext

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: margin in TocEntry definition
@ 2021-03-12  5:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-03-12  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

jbf schrieb am 11.03.2021 um 23:22:
> Thanks for trying, Bruce. That earlier question you refer to was for a
> similar situation and the answer resolved that one at the time (it was
> my question even then!) but not the precise one I am facing now.
>
> The problem, you see, is that \startalignment only offers a few key
> words like flushleft, middle etc. and not what I need this time, which
> is a precise indentation feature like .5cm. I suppose my real problem is
> not being sufficiently au fait with how definitions work. I just can't
> seem to get a definition that gives me a result like
>
> Chapter title
>     author ..................................... page number
>
> the \startalignment approach with flushleft would not give me the
> indentation obviously, and middle does not work for what I need, and
> either of them also pushes the page number line down onto the next line,
> which I don't want. I tried \skip .5cm, so:
>
> \define[1]\SectionTocEntry{%
> #1\crlf% title
> \hskip
> .5cm\doifnot{\structurelistuservariable{author}}{}{\structurelistuservariable{author}}%
> }
>
> But the \hskip is ignored at the beginning of a line. I wonder if there
> is something else I can substitute it for?

Use \par after the first line (and add \relax after \hskip).

\define[1]}SectionTocEntry
   {#1\par
    \hskip.5cm\relax\doifnot{...}{...}}

Wolfgang

* Re: margin in TocEntry definition
@ 2021-03-12  7:16       ` jbf
From: jbf @ 2021-03-12  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

It works, though I'm happy also to have Wolfgang's very simple version!
I'm learning a lot! I'm a great believer in Occam's Razor - the law of
parsimony, so the simpler version is the way to go, and my earlier use
of a TeX hack (\-\) can be put to rest!

Thanks Bruce and thanks Wolfgang.

Julian