* Context install for Apple Silicon M1 mac mini
@ 2020-12-01 12:01 Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2020-12-01 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I have recently retired my 2012 mac mini in favour of a new Apple
silicon M1 mac mini on which I would like to install ConTeXt. I know
that their are no ARM binaries yet for ConTeXt but Apple say that intel
binaries can be run on an ARM using the Rosetta emmulation software. I
tried to download the intel binaries using the install.sh that comes
with the context-osx-64.zip file but of course it does not recognise the
ARM chip and suggests contacting the mailing list. In some previous
emails to the list, in which I was a participent, (see the post "new
upload" of 26/11/2020) their was some discussion on how Context could be
set up to work on these machines by building binaries using Xcode. I am
afraid this is well above my skillset so I was wondering how I could get
the Intel binaries and then set up ConTeXt running with the Rosetta
emulation software. I should be able to do that. If this is possible, I
would be very happy to do some testing and report back my experiences to
the list.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

Scotland, UK

* Re: Context install for Apple Silicon M1 mac mini
@ 2020-12-01 17:17 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2020-12-01 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Keith,

You may try to copy to your new machine the whole folder where you have installed LMTX on your old machine, and then run
	context --make
there. Indeed if this works for your current LMTX folder you'll need someone to prepare a whole working folder of updated LMTX. As long as I have a PowerBook with the old chip (and running MacOS 14), I may do this for you and then put a zip file on Dropbox. However I may be too pushed to get a new M1 PowerBook in the future.

Best regards: Otared K.

@ 2020-12-01 17:34   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-12-01 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/1/2020 6:17 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> You may try to copy to your new machine the whole folder where you have installed LMTX on your old machine, and then run
> 	context --make
> there. Indeed if this works for your current LMTX folder you'll need someone to prepare a whole working folder of updated LMTX. As long as I have a PowerBook with the old chip (and running MacOS 14), I may do this for you and then put a zip file on Dropbox. However I may be too pushed to get a new M1 PowerBook in the future.
the trick is in the install script: we've added apple arm recognition
there so assuming an updated install.sh one should be okay

Hans

* Re: Context install for Apple Silicon M1 mac mini
@ 2020-12-01 19:11   ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2020-12-01 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Otared,

Thank you for your kind offer but Hans has modified the install script
such that it downloads the intel binaries which work under Rosetta on my
mac mini. I've ran context  through the Terminal app and it went like a
dream. Just to setup TeXShop and or TeXWorks and that is me sorted.

Thanks again and Best Wishes

Keith McKay

Scotland, UK