Hi Hans, finally I managed to figure out a "minimal" 3 page example that can reproduce this strange bug! It seems to be an interaction of \cite and \index with sectioning/bookmark generation: Please run "chap_1.tex" and click on the bookmark "1.1.2 SIX" ... no destination is set. (As I explained before, this does not mean that anything strange is going on at \subsection{SIX}. If the minimal file was longer, the missing link would have been somewhere else.) If I delete the used \index entries the bug is gone. And if I delete the used \mycite commands the bug is gone, too. I hope this test file might help ... Steffen -------