* Title page for diploma thesis
@ 2011-12-03 15:40 Paul Menzel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Menzel @ 2011-12-03 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1441 bytes --]

Dear ConTeXt folks,

I am trying to format the title page for a diploma thesis. Looking at
the Wiki most of the title or cover pages just have the title centered
and maybe a subtitle right below [1].

        \starttext
        \definemakeup[titlepage][align=middle]

        \starttitlepagemakeup
        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]University}
        \blank[big]
        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]\sc Institute}
        \vfill
        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]Diploma thesis}
        \blank[big]
        {\definedfont[Serif at 30pt] \setstrut \strut Interesting topic}
        \vfill
        by John Doe
        \stoptitlepagemakeup
        \stoptext

1. Is using `\blank` the recommended way to format the page? Or is using
boxes and placing them manually “better”?

2. Looking at the output it is not centered exactly and a little bit to
the left. Why is this the default? Does anyone know? Looking at the
manual [2] in chapter page design (p. 29, screen version) this seems to
be the backspace value. Is there an easy way to center it according to
the whole paper width? Additionally I would have guessed it to be more
on the right when glueing or trussing up(?) (German binden) the pages.

Thanks and I am sorry for the sleight off-topic second question,

Paul

[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Simple_Cover_Page
[2] http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-eni.pdf

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: test.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: test.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 361 bytes --]

\starttext
\definemakeup[titlepage][align=middle]

\starttitlepagemakeup
{\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]University}
\blank[big]
{\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]\sc Institute}
\vfill
{\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]Diploma thesis}
\blank[big]
{\definedfont[Serif at 30pt] \setstrut \strut Interesting topic}
\vfill
by John Doe
\stoptitlepagemakeup
\stoptext

* Re: Title page for diploma thesis
@ 2011-12-04 11:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-12-04 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-12-2011 16:40, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear ConTeXt folks,
>

> I am trying to format the title page for a diploma thesis. Looking at
> the Wiki most of the title or cover pages just have the title centered
> and maybe a subtitle right below [1].
>
>          \starttext
>          \definemakeup[titlepage][align=middle]
>
>          \starttitlepagemakeup
>          {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]University}
>          \blank[big]
>          {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]\sc Institute}
>          \vfill
>          {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]Diploma thesis}
>          \blank[big]
>          {\definedfont[Serif at 30pt] \setstrut \strut Interesting topic}
>          \vfill
>          by John Doe
>          \stoptitlepagemakeup
>          \stoptext
>
> 1. Is using `\blank` the recommended way to format the page? Or is using
> boxes and placing them manually “better”?

Normally I go for this quick and dirty first but eventually end up with
a page made with the layer mechanism (there is info on layers on the
wiki or grep the s-* files for examples.).

> 2. Looking at the output it is not centered exactly and a little bit to
> the left. Why is this the default? Does anyone know? Looking at the
> manual [2] in chapter page design (p. 29, screen version) this seems to
> be the backspace value. Is there an easy way to center it according to
> the whole paper width? Additionally I would have guessed it to be more
> on the right when glueing or trussing up(?) (German binden) the pages.

because the default layout is not centered and standardmakeup uses the
standard layout

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-12-04 11:15 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-12-04 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.12.2011 um 16:40 schrieb Paul Menzel:

> Dear ConTeXt folks,
>

> I am trying to format the title page for a diploma thesis. Looking at
> the Wiki most of the title or cover pages just have the title centered
> and maybe a subtitle right below [1].
>
>        \starttext
>        \definemakeup[titlepage][align=middle]
>
>        \starttitlepagemakeup
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]University}
>        \blank[big]
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]\sc Institute}

{\definedfont[SerifCaps at 20pt]…}

>        \vfill
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]Diploma thesis}
>        \blank[big]
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 30pt] \setstrut \strut Interesting topic}
>        \vfill
>        by John Doe
>        \stoptitlepagemakeup
>        \stoptext
>
> 1. Is using `\blank` the recommended way to format the page? Or is using
> boxes and placing them manually “better”?
>
> 2. Looking at the output it is not centered exactly and a little bit to
> the left. Why is this the default? Does anyone know? Looking at the
> manual [2] in chapter page design (p. 29, screen version) this seems to
> be the backspace value. Is there an easy way to center it according to
> the whole paper width? Additionally I would have guessed it to be more
> on the right when glueing or trussing up(?) (German binden) the pages.

You can switch to a centered layout for the titlepage with

  \setuplayout[titlepage][width=middle]

As Hans told the default layout is not centered because when you’re using
a docublesided document the sum of the inner margin on the left and right
page should be equal to the width of the outer margin. To compensate for
the loss at the inner margin you can increase the backspace with

  \setuplayout[backspace=<dimension> % default: 2.5cm for A4 paper

Wolfgang

* Re: Title page for diploma thesis
@ 2011-12-04 11:24 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-12-04 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 Dec 2011, at 16:40, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dear ConTeXt folks,
>

> I am trying to format the title page for a diploma thesis. Looking at
> the Wiki most of the title or cover pages just have the title centered
> and maybe a subtitle right below [1].
>
>        \starttext
>        \definemakeup[titlepage][align=middle]
>
>        \starttitlepagemakeup
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]University}
>        \blank[big]
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]\sc Institute}
>        \vfill
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]Diploma thesis}
>        \blank[big]
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 30pt] \setstrut \strut Interesting topic}
>        \vfill
>        by John Doe
>        \stoptitlepagemakeup
>        \stoptext
>
> 1. Is using `\blank` the recommended way to format the page? Or is using
> boxes and placing them manually “better”?

There are different ways to do this. If your solution give the result you desire... Not knowing wether this is better I use sometimes \godown[dimension]

> 2. Looking at the output it is not centered exactly and a little bit to
> the left. Why is this the default? Does anyone know? Looking at the
> manual [2] in chapter page design (p. 29, screen version) this seems to
> be the backspace value. Is there an easy way to center it according to
> the whole paper width? Additionally I would have guessed it to be more
> on the right when glueing or trussing up(?) (German binden) the pages.

Default is, that the page is centered on the paper, if the page and paper size are the same. However if you want a binding correction
you need to do calculations yourself in order to be able to set the parameters correct ly.

Check  for the setuplayout command.

\setuplayout
   [ backspace= left white+binding correction,
     width= text width which leaves enough whitespace at the right including some cut space,
     topspace= top white including cut space,
     height= text height including header and footer space, leaving enough bottom white and cut space,
     leftmargin= backspace - binding correction -  left margin distance,
     leftmargindistance= ...,
     rightmargin= ...,
     rightmargindistance= ...,
     marking=on,

Keep in mind that a book normally is cut after binding the bookblock at the front, top and bottom that is what I indicate with cut  space.
Backspace and topspace define the upper left corner of the typesetting area. Margin parameters do not influence the positioning of the typesetting area!

Willi

@ 2011-12-04 11:43   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-12-04 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the wrong statement about the centered page on the paper. - Humble I use often width=middle and height=middle ;-) and end up with setting up the parameters indvidually.

Willi