From: Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep@xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: Figures flowing past end of section (additional info).
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:07:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 11:34 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Subject say some, let me elaborate to make myself perfectly clear. I
> have a few figures at the end of a section, right before the start of
> the next section. The figures however end up in the wrong location.
> I've seen various permutations of the following: figures are placed in
> a location where they don't fit (with the figure starting below the
> lower margin and only 50% fitting on the page) and an empty page-end,
> followed by the section title, followed by one figure below the title,
> and the second figure (on yet another new page) ...
>
> Are there commands to flush the figures, or is there another, more
> elegant solution?
> Which part of the setup would you need to see to help me solve this
> issue?

The figures have a size, such that the two figures (+captions) will fit
on a single page (but nothing else). I could use the page location
indicator, but that fits only a single graph on the page. How can I
force the two figures together (including the numbers and captions) on
a single page?

Regards,

Maarten

> PS: below is part of the code:

> Note that this is a fit on five measurements. For our frequency range,
> no extrapolation was needed, but the error on the value of the King
> correction factor may be as large as 10\percent{}.
>
> \placefigure[here][fig:rayleigh-spectrum-nitrogen-argon]{Rayleigh
> scattering cross sections in Ar and N\low{2} between 15400 and
> 21400~cm\high{$-$1}. The Rayleigh theory is calculated using
> \in{equations}[eq:scattering-cross-section-final] and
> \in[eq:king-correction-factor], the fits are the result from
> [\in[eq:empirical-scattering-cross-section]] and the markers are
> measurements.}{\reuseMPgraphic{rayleigh-spectrum-nitrogen-argon}}
>
> \placefigure[here][fig:rayleigh-spectrum-carbondioxide]{Rayleigh
> scattering cross sections in CO\low{2} between 17400 and
> 21400~cm\high{$-$1}. The Rayleigh theory is calculated using equations
> \in[eq:scattering-cross-section-final] and
> \in[eq:king-correction-factor], the fits are the result from
> [\in[eq:empirical-scattering-cross-section]] and the markers are
> measurements.}{\reuseMPgraphic{rayleigh-spectrum-carbondioxide}}
>
> \section[subsect:gases-at-532]{Scattering in CO\low{2},
> N\low{2}, Ar, N\low{2}O, CH\low{4}, CO, SF\low{6} and O\low{2} at
> 532~nm}
>
> % a table here...

A chicken is an egg's way of making more eggs.