* Figures flowing past end of section.
@ 2003-06-24 21:34 Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-06-24 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Subject say some, let me elaborate to make myself perfectly clear. I
have a few figures at the end of a section, right before the start of
the next section. The figures however end up in the wrong location.
I've seen various permutations of the following: figures are placed in
a location where they don't fit (with the figure starting below the
lower margin and only 50% fitting on the page) and an empty page-end,
followed by the section title, followed by one figure below the title,
and the second figure (on yet another new page) ...

Are there commands to flush the figures, or is there another, more
elegant solution?
Which part of the setup would you need to see to help me solve this
issue?

Kind regards,

Maarten

PS: below is part of the code:

Note that this is a fit on five measurements. For our frequency range,
no extrapolation was needed, but the error on the value of the King
correction factor may be as large as 10\percent{}.

\placefigure[here][fig:rayleigh-spectrum-nitrogen-argon]{Rayleigh
scattering cross sections in Ar and N\low{2} between 15400 and
21400~cm\high{$-$1}. The Rayleigh theory is calculated using
\in{equations}[eq:scattering-cross-section-final] and
\in[eq:king-correction-factor], the fits are the result from
[\in[eq:empirical-scattering-cross-section]] and the markers are
measurements.}{\reuseMPgraphic{rayleigh-spectrum-nitrogen-argon}}

\placefigure[here][fig:rayleigh-spectrum-carbondioxide]{Rayleigh
scattering cross sections in CO\low{2} between 17400 and
21400~cm\high{$-$1}. The Rayleigh theory is calculated using equations
\in[eq:scattering-cross-section-final] and
\in[eq:king-correction-factor], the fits are the result from
[\in[eq:empirical-scattering-cross-section]] and the markers are
measurements.}{\reuseMPgraphic{rayleigh-spectrum-carbondioxide}}

\section[subsect:gases-at-532]{Scattering in CO\low{2},
N\low{2}, Ar, N\low{2}O, CH\low{4}, CO, SF\low{6} and O\low{2} at
532~nm}

% a table here...

* Re: Figures flowing past end of section (additional info).
@ 2003-06-24 23:07 ` Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-06-24 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 11:34 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Subject say some, let me elaborate to make myself perfectly clear. I
> have a few figures at the end of a section, right before the start of
> the next section. The figures however end up in the wrong location.
> I've seen various permutations of the following: figures are placed in
> a location where they don't fit (with the figure starting below the
> lower margin and only 50% fitting on the page) and an empty page-end,
> followed by the section title, followed by one figure below the title,
> and the second figure (on yet another new page) ...
>
> Are there commands to flush the figures, or is there another, more
> elegant solution?
> Which part of the setup would you need to see to help me solve this
> issue?

The figures have a size, such that the two figures (+captions) will fit
on a single page (but nothing else). I could use the page location
indicator, but that fits only a single graph on the page. How can I
force the two figures together (including the numbers and captions) on
a single page?

Regards,

Maarten

> PS: below is part of the code:

> Note that this is a fit on five measurements. For our frequency range,
> no extrapolation was needed, but the error on the value of the King
> correction factor may be as large as 10\percent{}.
>
> \placefigure[here][fig:rayleigh-spectrum-nitrogen-argon]{Rayleigh
> scattering cross sections in Ar and N\low{2} between 15400 and
> 21400~cm\high{$-$1}. The Rayleigh theory is calculated using
> \in{equations}[eq:scattering-cross-section-final] and
> \in[eq:king-correction-factor], the fits are the result from
> [\in[eq:empirical-scattering-cross-section]] and the markers are
> measurements.}{\reuseMPgraphic{rayleigh-spectrum-nitrogen-argon}}
>
> \placefigure[here][fig:rayleigh-spectrum-carbondioxide]{Rayleigh
> scattering cross sections in CO\low{2} between 17400 and
> 21400~cm\high{$-$1}. The Rayleigh theory is calculated using equations
> \in[eq:scattering-cross-section-final] and
> \in[eq:king-correction-factor], the fits are the result from
> [\in[eq:empirical-scattering-cross-section]] and the markers are
> measurements.}{\reuseMPgraphic{rayleigh-spectrum-carbondioxide}}
>
> \section[subsect:gases-at-532]{Scattering in CO\low{2},
> N\low{2}, Ar, N\low{2}O, CH\low{4}, CO, SF\low{6} and O\low{2} at
> 532~nm}
>
> % a table here...

A chicken is an egg's way of making more eggs.