Wolfgang, thank you once again. One last problem, if I may. >> Thanks Wolfgang. That makes that matter clearer. But how do I get those Arabic footnotes to be right aligned as well? > > \definenote[afootnote][numberconversion=set 2,paragraph=yes,rule=right,align={flushright,righttoleft}] After replacing your "rightoleft" above with your earlier r2l (the former didn't work, the latter did), this indeed did cause the footnote block to move to the right margin. However, the note 1 is still on the far left, note 2 in the middle, and note 3 on the far right, instead of the other way around (note 1 on far right, note 2 in middle, note 3 on the far left), which is the logical ordering since we are reading right to left. (See attached pdf example, compare the order of the footnotes in the paragraph to the order *from right-to-left* in the footnote area.)