My input for ConTeXt is: \enableregime[mac] \usetypescriptfile [adobekb] \setupencoding [default=ec] \usetypescript [adobekb] [\defaultencoding] \usetypescript[palatino][\defaultencoding] \starttext Howth {\em H\k{o}f\dh i} / {\em H\k{o}f\dh a}, ... Output from the console says that \dh is an undefined control sequence. This and similar commands are mentioned in Kopka and Daly: A guide to LaTeX2e p. 423. In LaTeX using \dh \DH \th \TH I get the result below. But the \ng \NG produce the black rule. I would be happy if just the \dh worked.