* MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-04 16:08 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2008-08-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Dear wizards,

I was wondering whether there's a way to have ConTeXt spill out each

\startMPpage
…
\stopMPpage

it encounters as a separate PDF file … by default all MPpages seem to
be collected into a single PDF file. Which is nice as long as this
file is postprocessed by another ConTeXt document … however, I need to
extract the individual figures from within LaTeX. So if anyone happens
to know how to instruct LaTeX's graphicx package to do just that this
would be a lovely alternative :-)

Oliver

* Re: MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-04 16:15 ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-08-04 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/8/4 Oliver Buerschaper <oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de>:
> extract the individual figures from within LaTeX. So if anyone happens
> to know how to instruct LaTeX's graphicx package to do just that this
> would be a lovely alternative :-)

All known TeX engines can only produce one output file per run.

Best
   Martin

* Re: MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-04 16:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-04 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Dear wizards,
>
> I was wondering whether there's a way to have ConTeXt spill out each
>
> \startMPpage
> …
> \stopMPpage
>
> it encounters as a separate PDF file … by default all MPpages seem to
> be collected into a single PDF file. Which is nice as long as this
> file is postprocessed by another ConTeXt document … however, I need to
> extract the individual figures from within LaTeX. So if anyone happens
> to know how to instruct LaTeX's graphicx package to do just that this
> would be a lovely alternative :-)

just keep them in one file and access the images by page, so .. include
page 4 from file bla.pdf

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-04 18:48   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-08-04 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>> Dear wizards,
>>
>> I was wondering whether there's a way to have ConTeXt spill out each
>>
>> \startMPpage
>> …
>> \stopMPpage
>>
>> it encounters as a separate PDF file … by default all MPpages seem to
>> be collected into a single PDF file. Which is nice as long as this
>> file is postprocessed by another ConTeXt document … however, I need to
>> extract the individual figures from within LaTeX. So if anyone happens
>> to know how to instruct LaTeX's graphicx package to do just that this
>> would be a lovely alternative :-)
>
> just keep them in one file and access the images by page, so .. include
> page 4 from file bla.pdf

IIRC, graphicx package in LaTeX can do that, so it should not be a
problem. Otherwise, you can use pdftk and "burst" the pdf into separate
pages.

Aditya

* Re: MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-04 20:58   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2008-08-04 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> extract the individual figures from within LaTeX. So if anyone
>> happens
>> to know how to instruct LaTeX's graphicx package to do just that this
>> would be a lovely alternative :-)
>
> All known TeX engines can only produce one output file per run.

Ah, you've probably got me wrong … what I'd like to know is whether
there's a LaTeX equivalent of

\externalfigure[all_my_figures.pdf][page=1]

so perhaps something along the lines of

\includegraphics[page=1]{all_my_figures.pdf}?

Oliver

* Re: MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-04 21:01   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2008-08-04 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> just keep them in one file and access the images by page, so ..
> include
> page 4 from file bla.pdf

This is what I'd do with ConTeXt … wicked trick, by the way ;-) But
how to do that with LaTeX? I know it's somewhat off topic …

Oliver

* Re: MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-05 12:06     ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2008-08-05 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is what I'd do with ConTeXt … wicked trick, by the way ;-) But
> how to do that with LaTeX? I know it's somewhat off topic …

 From what I heard on the MacTeX list this can be done using LaTeX's
pdfpages package …

Just in case someone might find this helpful.

Oliver

* Re: MPpage and single PDFs
@ 2008-08-05 12:18     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-05 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear wizards,
>>>
>>> I was wondering whether there's a way to have ConTeXt spill out each
>>>
>>> \startMPpage
>>> …
>>> \stopMPpage
>>>
>>> it encounters as a separate PDF file … by default all MPpages seem to
>>> be collected into a single PDF file. Which is nice as long as this
>>> file is postprocessed by another ConTeXt document … however, I need to
>>> extract the individual figures from within LaTeX. So if anyone happens
>>> to know how to instruct LaTeX's graphicx package to do just that this
>>> would be a lovely alternative :-)
>>
>> just keep them in one file and access the images by page, so .. include
>> page 4 from file bla.pdf
>
> IIRC, graphicx package in LaTeX can do that, so it should not be a problem.
> Otherwise, you can use pdftk and "burst" the pdf into separate pages.

You could use ConTeXt

  texexec --split filename

Wolfgang