* How to disable hyphenation?
@ 2011-02-24 13:05 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-02-24 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a Dutch document where I use the word genereren. Because it is on the
end of the line ge- is put on the end and nereren is put on the beginning of
the next line. I find this quit ugly. Can I disable hyphenation, or let it
behave more 'beautiful'? I searched on ContextGarden, but did not find
anything.

--
Cecil Westerhof

* Re: How to disable hyphenation?
@ 2011-02-24 13:26 ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-02-24 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.02.2011 um 14:05 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> I have a Dutch document where I use the word genereren. Because it is on the end of the line ge- is put on the end and nereren is put on the beginning of the next line. I find this quit ugly. Can I disable hyphenation, or let it behave more 'beautiful'? I searched on ContextGarden, but did not find anything.

\hyphenation{genereren} or \hyphenation{gene-re-ren} or
\setuplanguage
  [du] % ?
  [lefthyphenmin=3,righthyphenmin=2]

Greeting
	Andreas

* Re: How to disable hyphenation?
@ 2011-02-24 13:36 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-02-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-02-24 um 14:05 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> I have a Dutch document where I use the word genereren. Because it
> is on the end of the line ge- is put on the end and nereren is put
> on the beginning of the next line. I find this quit ugly. Can I
> disable hyphenation, or let it behave more 'beautiful'? I searched
> on ContextGarden, but did not find anything.

\hbox{genereren} % single use
\hyphenation{genereren} % prohibit hyphenation of that word generally

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: How to disable hyphenation?
@ 2011-02-24 13:45   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-02-24 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the very speedy reply.

2011/2/24 Andreas Harder <aharder@uni-koblenz.de>

> > I have a Dutch document where I use the word genereren. Because it is on
> the end of the line ge- is put on the end and nereren is put on the
> beginning of the next line. I find this quit ugly. Can I disable
> hyphenation, or let it behave more 'beautiful'? I searched on ContextGarden,
> but did not find anything.
>
> \hyphenation{genereren} or \hyphenation{gene-re-ren} or
> \setuplanguage
>  [du] % ?
>  [lefthyphenmin=3,righthyphenmin=2]

It is of-course not only about genereren. So I choose your second option. I
have included:
\setuplanguage[nl][
  lefthyphenmin=5,
  righthyphenmin=4,
]
\language[nl]

But I found something peculiar happening. I think it is a bug, but maybe I
am wrong. Where genereren first was hypenated, it now gets put completly put
at the end of the sentence. If that is possible now, why was it not possible
beforehand?
In another paragraph I am using gedocumenteerd. First it was gedo-
cumenteerd, now it is gedocu- menteerd.
What is happening here?

--

@ 2011-02-24 14:11     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-24 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> But I found something peculiar happening. I think it is a bug, but maybe I
> am wrong. Where genereren first was hypenated, it now gets put completly put
> at the end of the sentence.

What else did you expect after you told the system to leave at least five
characters to the left and four character to the right of a hypenatable word?

> If that is possible now, why was it not possible beforehand?

It was possible. But ConTeXt calculates the breakpoints (including possible
hypenation) so that the paragraphs look nice and the inter word space will not
be stretched too much.

> In another paragraph I am using gedocumenteerd. First it was gedo-
> cumenteerd, now it is gedocu- menteerd.
> What is happening here?

What else did you expect after you told the system to leave at least five
characters to the left and four character to the right of a hypenatable word?

Marco

* Re: How to disable hyphenation?
@ 2011-02-24 14:51       ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2011-02-24 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/2/24 Marco <netuse@lavabit.com>

> > If that is possible now, why was it not possible beforehand?
>
> It was possible. But ConTeXt calculates the breakpoints (including possible
> hypenation) so that the paragraphs look nice and the inter word space will
> not
> be stretched too much.

Okay, that explains it. Thanks.

--

@ 2011-02-24 21:23   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-24 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 24.02.2011 um 14:26 schrieb Andreas Harder:

> Am 24.02.2011 um 14:05 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:
>
>> I have a Dutch document where I use the word genereren. Because it is on the end of the line ge- is put on the end and nereren is put on the beginning of the next line. I find this quit ugly. Can I disable hyphenation, or let it behave more 'beautiful'? I searched on ContextGarden, but did not find anything.
>
> \hyphenation{genereren} or \hyphenation{gene-re-ren} or

\startexceptions[du]
gene-re-ren
\stopexceptions

or

\startexceptions
gene-re-ren
\stopexceptions

Wolfgang

* Re: How to disable hyphenation?
@ 2013-03-08  9:40   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-03-08  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2013-03-07, o godz. 18:25:42
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> napisał(a):

> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to typeset some text flush left and *completely* without
> > hyphenation.  What do I do?  (For now, I wrote \hyphenpenalty=10000,
> > but this is obviously not very ConTeXt-way.)
>
> \setupalign[nothypenated]
>
> or inside an environment that accepts the align key
>
> ... align=nothyphenated
>
> It may be a good idea to either increase the tolerance, or set the
> text to be flush left as well.

Thanks!  Of course, I have [flushleft] also.

And it's a shame: I wanted to add it to the wiki...  but it's already
there, only difficult to find.  (At least I didn't succeed.)  Maybe it
would be a good idea to add a page about hyphenation in general?

> Aditya

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to disable hyphenation?
@ 2013-03-07 23:25 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-03-07 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-03-07 22:56 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-03-07 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 23:47:27 +0100
Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to typeset some text flush left and *completely* without
> hyphenation.  What do I do?  (For now, I wrote \hyphenpenalty=10000,
> but this is obviously not very ConTeXt-way.)
>
> Best,

\setupalign [nothyphenated]

Alan

* How to disable hyphenation?