* Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29  8:29 juh
From: juh @ 2020-05-29  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

with your help I can colorize the empty even page right before a chapter starts
on the odd page. The mwe below shows it.

Now I would like to redefine the contents of the left page on the fly in the text
so that I could place images on this page.

I thought that I could get a simple solution by inserting a TEXpage as even
page, but this does not work for several reasons. First a TEXpage is not counted
correctly like a normal page.  And secondly I found now way to put it on the
even page.

So what I really want to achieve is a way to redefine this setups at some point
in the text to insert eg. a picture on the even page before a chapter.

\startsetups [chapter:before]
  \doifoddpageelse
    {}
    {\pushbackground[page]
     \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,]
     \page[empty,right]
     \popbackground}
\stopsetups

Here comes the not so mwe:

%% start mwe
\setuplayout [ location=doublesided ]
\definepagebreak [chapter] [footer,yes,header,footer,right]

\startsetups [chapter:before]
  \doifoddpageelse
    {}
    {\pushbackground[page]
     \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,]
     \page[empty,right]
     \popbackground}
\stopsetups

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [
   page=yes,
   before=\directsetup{chapter:before},
  ]

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]

\starttext

\startchapter
  [title={foo}]

  \dorecurse{2}{\input tufte \par}

\stopchapter

\startchapter
  [title={foo2}]

  \dorecurse{6}{\input tufte \par}

\stopchapter

\startchapter
  [title={bar}]

    \input knuth

\startTEXpage
  \externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=\paperheight,width=\paperwidth]
\stopTEXpage

\stopchapter

\startchapter
  [title={baz}]

    \input knuth

\stopchapter

\stoptext
%% stop mwe

As you see the image is not in the right place and of course the pagenumbering
is wrong.

I want that one of these blue pages shows an image. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.
juh

--
Autoren-Homepage: ......... http://literatur.hasecke.com
Satiren & Essays: ......... http://www.sudelbuch.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 10:45 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-05-29 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

juh schrieb am 29.05.2020 um 10:29:
> Dear all,
>
> with your help I can colorize the empty even page right before a chapter starts
> on the odd page. The mwe below shows it.
>
> Now I would like to redefine the contents of the left page on the fly in the text
> so that I could place images on this page.
>
> I thought that I could get a simple solution by inserting a TEXpage as even
> page, but this does not work for several reasons. First a TEXpage is not counted
> correctly like a normal page.  And secondly I found now way to put it on the
> even page.
>
> So what I really want to achieve is a way to redefine this setups at some point
> in the text to insert eg. a picture on the even page before a chapter.
>
> \startsetups [chapter:before]
>    \doifoddpageelse
>      {}
>      {\pushbackground[page]
>       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,]
>       \page[empty,right]
>       \popbackground}
> \stopsetups
>
> Here comes the not so mwe:
>
> %% start mwe
> \setuplayout [ location=doublesided ]
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> \definepagebreak [chapter] [footer,yes,header,footer,right]
>
> \startsetups [chapter:before]
>    \doifoddpageelse
>      {}
>      {\pushbackground[page]
>       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,]
>       \page[empty,right]
>       \popbackground}
> \stopsetups
>
> \setuphead
>    [chapter]
>    [
>     page=yes,
>     before=\directsetup{chapter:before},
>    ]
>
> \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startchapter
>    [title={foo}]
>
>    \dorecurse{2}{\input tufte \par}
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \startchapter
>    [title={foo2}]
>
>    \dorecurse{6}{\input tufte \par}
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \startchapter
>    [title={bar}]
>
>      \input knuth
>
> \startTEXpage
>    \externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=\paperheight,width=\paperwidth]
> \stopTEXpage
>
> \stopchapter
>

> \startchapter
>    [title={baz}]
>
>      \input knuth
>
> \stopchapter
>
> \stoptext
> %% stop mwe
>
> As you see the image is not in the right place and of course the pagenumbering
> is wrong.
Use \startTEXpage[pagestate=start] to increase the page number with TEX
pages.
> I want that one of these blue pages shows an image. Is this possible?
Yes but there are different ways for different requirements.

- Do you you have a picture before *every* chapter?
- Do you use full page images?
- Are the images cropped to fit the page dimension, stretched or
centered with margins?
- ...

Wolfgang

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 13:10   ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2020-05-29 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> juh schrieb am 29.05.2020 um 10:29:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> with your help I can colorize the empty even page right before a
>> chapter starts
>> on the odd page. The mwe below shows it.
>>
>> Now I would like to redefine the contents of the left page on the fly
>> in the text
>> so that I could place images on this page.
>>
>> I thought that I could get a simple solution by inserting a TEXpage as
>> even
>> page, but this does not work for several reasons. First a TEXpage is
>> not counted
>> correctly like a normal page.  And secondly I found now way to put it
>> on the
>> even page.
>>
>> So what I really want to achieve is a way to redefine this setups at
>> some point
>> in the text to insert eg. a picture on the even page before a chapter.
>>
>> \startsetups [chapter:before]
>>    \doifoddpageelse
>>      {}
>>      {\pushbackground[page]
>>       \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,]
>>       \page[empty,right]
>>       \popbackground}
>> \stopsetups
>>
>> As you see the image is not in the right place and of course the
>> pagenumbering
>> is wrong.
> Use \startTEXpage[pagestate=start] to increase the page number with TEX
> pages.

Thanks for this hint.

>> I want that one of these blue pages shows an image. Is this possible?
> Yes but there are different ways for different requirements.
>
> - Do you you have a picture before *every* chapter?

No, the additional image page shall appear only if the last chapter ends
on an odd page. Then I need the image page to push the new chapter to
the next odd page.

> - Do you use full page images?
> - Are the images cropped to fit the page dimension, stretched or
> centered with margins?

For this usecase images are blown up and cropped to fit the page
dimension including the bleed.

juh

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 13:35     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-05-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan U. Hasecke schrieb am 29.05.2020 um 15:10:
> Am 29.05.20 um 12:45 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>> juh schrieb am 29.05.2020 um 10:29:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> with your help I can colorize the empty even page right before a
>>> chapter starts
>>> on the odd page. The mwe below shows it.
>>>
>>> Now I would like to redefine the contents of the left page on the fly
>>> in the text
>>> so that I could place images on this page.
>>>
>>> I thought that I could get a simple solution by inserting a TEXpage as
>>> even
>>> page, but this does not work for several reasons. First a TEXpage is
>>> not counted
>>> correctly like a normal page.  And secondly I found now way to put it
>>> on the
>>> even page.
>>>
>>> So what I really want to achieve is a way to redefine this setups at
>>> some point
>>> in the text to insert eg. a picture on the even page before a chapter.
>>>
>>> \startsetups [chapter:before]
>>>     \doifoddpageelse
>>>       {}
>>>       {\pushbackground[page]
>>>        \setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=blue,]
>>>        \page[empty,right]
>>>        \popbackground}
>>> \stopsetups
>>>
>>> As you see the image is not in the right place and of course the
>>> pagenumbering
>>> is wrong.
>> Use \startTEXpage[pagestate=start] to increase the page number with TEX
>> pages.
> Thanks for this hint.
>
>>> I want that one of these blue pages shows an image. Is this possible?
>> Yes but there are different ways for different requirements.
>>
>> - Do you you have a picture before *every* chapter?
> No, the additional image page shall appear only if the last chapter ends
> on an odd page. Then I need the image page to push the new chapter to
> the next odd page.
>
>> - Do you use full page images?
>> - Are the images cropped to fit the page dimension, stretched or
>> centered with margins?
> For this usecase images are blown up and cropped to fit the page
> dimension including the bleed.

\setuppagenumbering
   [alternative=doublesided]

\setupexternalfigures
   [location=default]

\definedataset [chapter]

\startsetups [chapter:before]

   \page[yes]

   \doglobal\increment\ChapterCounter

   \doifoddpageelse
     {}
     {\doifsomething
        {\datasetvariable{chapter}{\ChapterCounter}{image}}
        {\startlayout[page]
         \centerbox{\externalfigure
[\datasetvariable{chapter}{\ChapterCounter}{image}][factor=min]}
         \stoplayout}}

\stopsetups

\setuphead
   [chapter]
   [page=,
    beforesection=\directsetup{chapter:before},
insidesection={\setdataset[chapter][\ChapterCounter][image=\structureuservariable{image}]}]

\setupexternalfigure[location=default]

\starttext

\startchapter [title={Tufte}] [image=cow]
\dorecurse{4}{\samplefile{tufte}}
\stopchapter

\startchapter [title={Knuth}] [image=mill]
\dorecurse{8}{\samplefile{knuth}}
\stopchapter

\startchapter [title={Zapf}] [image=hacker]
\dorecurse{6}{\samplefile{zapf}}
\stopchapter

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 15:42       ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2020-05-29 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

thank you very much. Amazing!

> \definedataset [chapter]
>
> \startsetups [chapter:before]
>
>   \page[yes]
>
>   \doglobal\increment\ChapterCounter
>
>   \doifoddpageelse
>     {}
>     {\doifsomething
>        {\datasetvariable{chapter}{\ChapterCounter}{image}}
>        {\startlayout[page]
>         \centerbox{\externalfigure
> [\datasetvariable{chapter}{\ChapterCounter}{image}][factor=min]}
>         \stoplayout}}
>
> \stopsetups
>
> \setuphead
>   [chapter]
>   [page=,
>    beforesection=\directsetup{chapter:before},
> insidesection={\setdataset[chapter][\ChapterCounter][image=\structureuservariable{image}]}]

One and a half question.
Why did you set \ChapterCounter explizitly and why is \ChapterCounter
part of the datasetvariable?

juh

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 16:03         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-05-29 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 May 2020, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:

> One and a half question.
> Why did you set \ChapterCounter explizitly and why is \ChapterCounter
> part of the datasetvariable?

\dataset... is a high level interface for collecting two-pass data in ConTeXt. Here is a simple example:

\definedataset[name]

\starttext

The values of the three dataset variables are:

\startlines
\datasetvariable{name}{hash1}{key}
\datasetvariable{name}{hash2}{key}
\datasetvariable{name}{hash3}{key}
\stoplines

Now we set the values.

\setdataset[name][hash1][key=value1]
\setdataset[name][hash2][key=value2]
\setdataset[name][hash3][key=value3]

\stoptext

Note that we are using the values stored in different hash-ids before they are defined. ConTeXt stores the values in the `.tuc` file and uses them. This is what is stored in the `.tuc` file:

utilitydata.job.datasets.collected={
  ["name"]={
   ["hash1"]={
    ["key"]="value1",
   },
   ["hash2"]={
    ["key"]="value2",
   },
   ["hash3"]={
    ["key"]="value3",
   },
  },
}

The magic of loading and reusing them happens behind the scenes, so the user doesn't have to worry about it. See https://wiki.contextgarden.net/System_Macros/Key_Value_Assignments#Multi-pass_data for more details.

Now, suppose you wanted to use the image defined as part of `\startchapter` as the background image of the _current_ page, then you could access the value of the \structureuservariable. For example,

\startchapter[title=whatever][image=filename]

\structureuservariable{image}

\stopchapter

But you want to use the value of the image _before_ the start of the chapter. So, Wolfgang is using the two-pass mechanism to store the value of the image in the database named 'chapter` in the hash-location `\ChapterCounter` and then retrieving it before it is defined!

Aditya

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 17:27           ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2020-05-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 29.05.20 um 18:03 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> The magic of loading and reusing them happens behind the scenes, so the
> user doesn't have to worry about it. See
> https://wiki.contextgarden.net/System_Macros/Key_Value_Assignments#Multi-pass_data
> for more details.
>
> Now, suppose you wanted to use the image defined as part of
> `\startchapter` as the background image of the _current_ page, then you
> could access the value of the \structureuservariable. For example,
>
> \startchapter[title=whatever][image=filename]
>
> \structureuservariable{image}
>
> \stopchapter
>
> But you want to use the value of the image _before_ the start of the
> chapter. So, Wolfgang is using the two-pass mechanism to store the value
> of the image in the database named 'chapter` in the hash-location
> `\ChapterCounter` and then retrieving it before it is defined!

Thanks a lot for the clarification!
juh

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 20:13             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-05-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a similar setup I wanted to start every chapter with image and short vita the author and came up with the following (of course not without help from our wizards):

\definefont[ChapterFont][Sans*default at 30pt]

\startsetups normalheader
  % default numbers of my bodyfont are oldstyle
  \setupheadertexts[chapter][{\addff{normnum}\pagenumber}][{\addff{normnum}\pagenumber}][]
\stopsetups

\startsetups noheader
  \setupheadertexts[][][][]
\stopsetups

\startsetups bigchapter
  \setupalign[flushleft,hz,hanging,verytolerant,nothyphenated]
  \doifelse{\structureuservariable{image}}{}{% if image empty
  }{%
    \directsetup{noheader}
    \vbox{%
      {\ChapterFont\structurevariable{title}\par}%
      \blank[big]
      \externalfigure[img/\structureuservariable{image}][width=0.8\textwidth]\par
    }
    \doifnot{\structureuservariable{vita}}{}{% if vita
      \vfill
      \vbox{%
        {\tf\ss\structureuservariable{vita}}
      }%
    }%
    \page[right]
    \vbox{%
      \doifnot{\structureuservariable{subtitle}}{}{% if subtitle
        {\definedfont[SerifItalic*eka at 30pt]\structureuservariable{subtitle}}
      }%
    }%
  }%
  \blank[3*big]
  \directsetup{normalheader}
  \setupalign[width,hz,hanging,hyphenated]% reset alignment
\stopsetups

\setuphead[chapter][
  page=left,
  number=no,
  command=\gobbletwoarguments,
  before=,
  after={\directsetup{bigchapter}},
  style={\ChapterFont},
]

This is the result:
https://www.dreiviertelhaus.de/editionka/lauf-los-buch/
(see preview images linked at the bottom)

Best, Hraban

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 20:18               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-05-29 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 May 2020, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> In a similar setup I wanted to start every chapter with image and short vita the author and came up with the following (of course not without help from our wizards):
>

>  \doifelse{\structureuservariable{image}}{}{% if image empty
>  }{%
>  }
>    \doifnot{\structureuservariable{vita}}{}{% if vita
>      }%
>    }%
>  }%

You can use  `\doifsomething{\structureuservariable{image}}` etc which is slightly more readable than \doifelse{...}\empty{}{} or \doifnot{...}\empty{}.

Aditya

* Re: Let chapter start on odd page and make the even page before show an image
@ 2020-05-29 21:20                 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-05-29 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 29.05.2020 um 22:18 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:
>
> On Fri, 29 May 2020, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>
>> In a similar setup I wanted to start every chapter with image and short vita the author and came up with the following (of course not without help from our wizards):
>>

>> \doifelse{\structureuservariable{image}}{}{% if image empty
>> }{%
>> }
>>   \doifnot{\structureuservariable{vita}}{}{% if vita
>>     }%
>>   }%
>> }%
>
> You can use  `\doifsomething{\structureuservariable{image}}` etc which is slightly more readable than \doifelse{...}\empty{}{} or \doifnot{...}\empty{}.

I tried several \doifs and this was the one that worked. Can’t remember the details, it’s been a while.

HR