* Re: Support for Bold Small Caps font alternative
       [not found] <528894b2.866f0e0a.230f.fffff2c8SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
@ 2013-11-17 11:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
       [not found]   ` <5288b53c.09d20e0a.5ff0.ffffaea5SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-17 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.11.2013 um 11:04 schrieb honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz>:

> Dear All,
>
> in my document I combine both regular and bold small caps. As there is no
> predefined alternative for bold small caps variant, moreover, combining bold
> style and small caps has no effect, I've had to override an unused one:
>
> \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][file:pala.ttf][features=small-caps]
> \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][file:palab.ttf][features=small-caps] %
> bold caps
>
> Now I can switch styles using \sc and \bs.
>
> It would be nice to have a dedicated alternative for this. Or am I missing
> something?

When you use a opentype font you can enable the small caps feature with the \feature
command, there is no need for an additional font synonym.

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\starttext

Text {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text} {\bf Text {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text}}

Text \smallcaps{Text} \bold{Text \smallcaps{Text}}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Support for Bold Small Caps font alternative
@ 2013-11-17 12:23   ` honyk
       [not found]   ` <5288b53c.09d20e0a.5ff0.ffffaea5SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: honyk @ 2013-11-17 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2013-11-17 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 17.11.2013 um 11:04 schrieb honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz>:
> >
> > in my document I combine both regular and bold small caps.
> > As there is no predefined alternative for bold small caps variant,
> > moreover, combining bold style and small caps has no effect, I've
> > had to override an unused one:
> >
> > \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][file:pala.ttf][features=small-caps]
> > \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][file:palab.ttf][features=small-
> > caps] % bold caps
> >
> > Now I can switch styles using \sc and \bs.
> >
> > It would be nice to have a dedicated alternative for this. Or am I
> > missing something?
>
> When you use a opentype font you can enable the small caps feature
> with the \feature command, there is no need for an additional font
> synonym.
>
> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>
> \starttext
>
> Text {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text} {\bf Text
> {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text}}
>
> Text \smallcaps{Text} \bold{Text \smallcaps{Text}}
>
> \stoptext

Thanks for pointing me to this nice feature! This is even more robust.

All my font definitions are based on this example
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV

(with the help of ConTeXt Reference Manual where I didn't notice something
like this before).

In the light of this all examples on that page could be switched rather to
'feature' based styling to emphasise the power of this feature :-)

Jan

@ 2013-11-17 12:58     ` Wolfgang Schuster
       [not found]       ` <5288d3b3.c2b00e0a.7b33.5469SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-17 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.11.2013 um 13:23 schrieb honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz>:

> On 2013-11-17 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 17.11.2013 um 11:04 schrieb honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz>:
>>>
>>> in my document I combine both regular and bold small caps.
>>> As there is no predefined alternative for bold small caps variant,
>>> moreover, combining bold style and small caps has no effect, I've
>>> had to override an unused one:
>>>
>>> \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][file:pala.ttf][features=small-caps]
>>> \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][file:palab.ttf][features=small-
>>> caps] % bold caps
>>>
>>> Now I can switch styles using \sc and \bs.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to have a dedicated alternative for this. Or am I
>>> missing something?
>>
>> When you use a opentype font you can enable the small caps feature
>> with the \feature command, there is no need for an additional font
>> synonym.
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> Text {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text} {\bf Text
>> {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text}}
>>
>> Text \smallcaps{Text} \bold{Text \smallcaps{Text}}
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Thanks for pointing me to this nice feature! This is even more robust.
>
> All my font definitions are based on this example
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV

You can save a few lines in the font setup when you the new simplefonts code (works only with a recent beta).

\definefontfamily[mainface][rm][Palatino Linotype][features={default,quality}]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\setupalign[hanging,hz]

\starttext

How you, O Athenians, have been affected by my accusers, I cannot tell;
but I know that they almost made me forget who I was—so persuasively
did they speak; and yet they have hardly uttered a word of truth.

Ὅτι μὲν ὑμεῖς, ὦ ἄνδρες Ἀθηναῖοι,
πεπόνθατε ὑπὸ τῶν ἐμῶν κατηγόρων,
οὐκ οἶδα· ἐγὼ δ' οὖν καὶ αὐτὸς ὑπ'
αὐτῶν ὀλίγου ἐμαυτοῦ ἐπελαθόμην,
οὕτω πιθανῶς ἔλεγον.

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Support for Bold Small Caps font alternative
@ 2013-11-17 14:33       ` honyk
       [not found]       ` <5288d3b3.c2b00e0a.7b33.5469SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
From: honyk @ 2013-11-17 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2013-11-17 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 17.11.2013 um 13:23 schrieb honyk:

> >> When you use a opentype font you can enable the small caps feature
> >> with the \feature command, there is no need for an additional font
> >> synonym.
> >>
> >> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >>
> >> Text {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text} {\bf Text
> >> {\feature[+][f:smallcaps]Text}}
> >>
> >> Text \smallcaps{Text} \bold{Text \smallcaps{Text}}
> >>
> >> \stoptext
> >
> > Thanks for pointing me to this nice feature! This is even more
> > robust.
> >
> > All my font definitions are based on this example
> > http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV
>
> You can save a few lines in the font setup when you the new simplefonts
> code (works only with a recent beta).
>
> \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][Palatino
> Linotype][features={default,quality}]
>
> \setupbodyfont[mainface]

What a great improvement!

In sum 4 basic + 2 complementary (smallcaps, oldstyle) styles out-of-the-box thanks to this simple definition! Moreover, these basic and complementary ones can be combined easily.

Other OTF features needs to be declared though:
\definefontfeature[f:superscript][sups=yes]

and then used as written above:
25 m{\feature[+][f:superscript]2}

But it is not so big deal.

<joke>I suggest removing all font styles related descriptions in manuals, wiki pages to some special place marked as obsolete and replace it with this simple approach ending with a small note that if this is not applicable, there are other, but deprecated, ways - with the appropriate hyperlink.</joke>.

Jan

@ 2013-11-17 15:38         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-11-17 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.11.2013 um 15:33 schrieb honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz>:

> Other OTF features needs to be declared though:
> \definefontfeature[f:superscript][sups=yes]
>
> and then used as written above:
> 25 m{\feature[+][f:superscript]2}
>
> But it is not so big deal.

When you use this for units you can use the \unit command:

\starttext
\unit{25 square meter}
\stoptext

> <joke>I suggest removing all font styles related descriptions in manuals, wiki pages to some special place marked as obsolete and replace it with this simple approach ending with a small note that if this is not applicable, there are other, but deprecated, ways - with the appropriate hyperlink.</joke>.

Not all font provide small caps as font feature, there is still many (older and newer) which use a separate file for them.

Wolfgang

* Support for Bold Small Caps font alternative
@ 2013-11-17 10:04 honyk