* doublesided wider paragraphs
@ 2012-05-22 16:11 Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-05-22 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

I am trying to change the width of a paragraph on a page. I found \defineparagraphs and \setupparagraphs and it almost works. But for doublesided documents the text on verso pages is incorrectly aligned. I tried [location=inner], but the macros do not seem to be aware of that. I also found \startlocal (\startlokaal) in the ConTeXt getting started pdf, but Mk IV does not know \startlocal (any more?).

My example:

% setup the page format
\definepapersize[wissenschaft][width=170mm,height=240mm]
% use the new page format
\setuppapersize[wissenschaft]
% shape the page
\setuplayout[topspace=40pt,
			header=0pt,
			headerdistance=0pt,
			backspace=42pt,
			leftmargin=0pt,
			width=280pt,
			height=560pt,
			rightmargindistance=20pt,
			rightmargin=100pt,
			footer=0pt]
%\showframe

\defineparagraphs
     [fullwidth][n=1,before={\blank},after={\blank}]
  \setupparagraphs
     [fullwidth][1][width=400pt]

\starttext
\input tufte
\startfullwidth
\input tufte
\stopfullwidth
\input knuth
\startfullwidth
\input tufte
\stopfullwidth
\input tufte
\stoptext

My questions are: Is there no more \startlocal, how to locally adjust the layout on a page and how to make the example work?

Thanks,
Andy

* Re: doublesided wider paragraphs
@ 2012-05-22 16:52 ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-05-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-05-22 Andy Thomas <andythomas@web.de> wrote:

> But for doublesided documents the text on verso pages is
> incorrectly aligned.

How should the paragraphs look like on even pages? As wide as the
text or should they protrude into the left margin?

Marco

* Re: doublesided wider paragraphs
@ 2012-05-22 16:58   ` Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-05-22 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Protrude in the margin, total width 400pt.

Andy

@ 2012-05-22 17:04 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-05-22 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.05.2012 um 18:11 schrieb Andy Thomas:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to change the width of a paragraph on a page. I found \defineparagraphs and \setupparagraphs and it almost works. But for doublesided documents the text on verso pages is incorrectly aligned. I tried [location=inner], but the macros do not seem to be aware of that. I also found \startlocal (\startlokaal) in the ConTeXt getting started pdf, but Mk IV does not know \startlocal (any more?).
>
> My example:
>
> % setup the page format
> \definepapersize[wissenschaft][width=170mm,height=240mm]
> % use the new page format
> \setuppapersize[wissenschaft]
> % shape the page
> \setuplayout[topspace=40pt,
> 			header=0pt,
> 			headerdistance=0pt,
> 			backspace=42pt,
> 			leftmargin=0pt,
> 			width=280pt,
> 			height=560pt,
> 			rightmargindistance=20pt,
> 			rightmargin=100pt,
> 			footer=0pt]
> %\showframe
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>
> \defineparagraphs
>     [fullwidth][n=1,before={\blank},after={\blank}]
>  \setupparagraphs
>     [fullwidth][1][width=400pt]
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \startfullwidth
> \input tufte
> \stopfullwidth
> \input knuth
> \startfullwidth
> \input tufte
> \stopfullwidth
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> My questions are: Is there no more \startlocal, how to locally adjust the layout on a page and how to make the example work?

\usemodule[annotation]

\define[2]\FullwidthCommand
  {\doifoddpageelse
     {\doadaptrightskip{-\the\dimexpr\rightmarginwidth+\rightmargindistance\relax}}
     {\doadaptleftskip {-\the\dimexpr\leftmarginwidth +\leftmargindistance \relax}}%
   #2}

\defineannotation[fullwidth][alternative=command,command=\FullwidthCommand]

\starttext \showframe

\input tufte

\startfullwidth
\input tufte
\stopfullwidth

\input knuth

\startfullwidth
\input tufte
\stopfullwidth

\input tufte

\startfullwidth
\input tufte
\stopfullwidth

\input tufte

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: doublesided wider paragraphs
@ 2012-05-22 17:29   ` Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-05-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

It only works without my page layout. Did I make a mistake using \setuplayout? With \showframe it looks fine though.

Andy

@ 2012-05-22 17:44     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-05-22 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.05.2012 um 19:29 schrieb Andy Thomas:

> It only works without my page layout. Did I make a mistake using \setuplayout? With \showframe it looks fine though.

You’re setting leftmargin to 0pt but I used in my example this value to calculate the additional space. When you set the argument for \doadapt… to a fixed value it will produce the right output but you can get an unexpected output when the fullwidth environment appears at the start of a new page.

\definepapersize[wissenschaft][width=170mm,height=240mm]
\setuppapersize [wissenschaft]

\setuplayout
  [topspace=40pt,
   header=0pt,