* columns -> columnsets introduces problems
@ 2006-08-09  1:24 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-09  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans et al,

When we discovered that \column doesn't work reliably with
\startcolumns[n=2] ... \stopcolumns, we made some changes to our
style files:

%\setupcolumns
%	[tolerance=stretch,
%	balance=yes,
%	blank=flexible,
%	rule=off,
%	distance=2.5em]

\definecolumnset[exercises][n=2]

\setupcolumnset
[exercises]
[distance=2.5em,
balance=yes]

\definecolumnset[answers][n=2]

\setupcolumnset
[answers]
[distance=2.5em,
balance=yes]

%\def\startquestions{\exercises{Exercises}\startcolumns[n=2]}
%\def\stopquestions{\stopcolumns}

\def\startquestions{\exercises{Exercises}\startcolumnset[exercises]}
\def\stopquestions{\stopcolumnset}

%\def\placeanswers{%
%  \bgroup
%  \doifmodeelse{short}
%  {
%     \keepblocks[shortsubanswer,longsubanswer]
%      \answers{Answers}\vskip 1em\startcolumns[n=2]
%      \selectblocks[shortanswer][criterium=section]
%      \stopcolumns
%  }
%  {
%      \keepblocks[shortsubanswer,longsubanswer]
%      \answers{Solutions}\vskip 1em
%      \selectblocks[longanswer][criterium=section]
%  }
%  \egroup
%}

\def\placeanswers{%
   \bgroup
   \doifmodeelse{short}
   {
      \keepblocks[shortsubanswer,longsubanswer]
       \answers{Answers}\vskip 1em\startcolumnset[answers]
       \selectblocks[shortanswer][criterium=section]
       \stopcolumnset
   }
   {
       \keepblocks[shortsubanswer,longsubanswer]
       \answers{Solutions}\vskip 1em
       \selectblocks[longanswer][criterium=section]
   }
   \egroup
}

We can now no longer compile what we could formerly compile:

systems         : end file chapter0/equations at line 77
systems         : begin file chapter0/equationsexercises at line 79
(../chapter0/equationsexercises.tex
system          : module newmat (line 31) already loaded
system          : module math=ext (line 32) already loaded
system          : module fig-base (line 33) already loaded
[24.24]
exercises       : - Exercises
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
\v!yes ->y
           es
\doindecrement ...ned \else \ifx #2\relax \else #2
                                                   \fi \fi +#1\relax }
\doifelse ... \!!stringa {#1}\edef \!!stringb {#2}
                                                   \ifx \!!stringa \!!
stringb...

\doregister ...sterparameter \c!ownnumber }\v!yes
                                                   {\dosingleempty
\dodoregis...

\Tindex #1->\index
                    {#1}#1
l.104 \setnumber
                 [page]{\pagenumberExercisesOneTwo}

If I go into the offending file and comment out the line:

\startquestions
%\setnumber[page]{\pagenumberExercisesOneTwo}

Compiling again:

[...]

l.105

?

We are at a complete loss of what to do.

* Re: columns -> columnsets introduces problems
@ 2006-08-09  8:11 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-09  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> \Tindex #1->\index
>                     {#1}#1
> l.104 \setnumber
>                  [page]{\pagenumberExercisesOneTwo}
>
> If I go into the offending file and comment out the line:

The problem appears related to the index (\Tindex), not the
\setnumber command, so you may have been looking at the wrong
spot.

Greetings,
Taco

* Re: columns -> columnsets introduces problems
@ 2006-08-09 15:38   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-08-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, Taco,

I had a \Tindex inside a display math, something like this.

\placeformula
\startformula
x^2 \Tindex{sample}
\stopformula

I think that might have been it, because now I have a compile.