* SOLVED: too many open files
@ 2013-08-15 15:48 Henning Hraban Ramm
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2013-08-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi again,

in my current songbook project I use t-filter with LilyPond as shown in http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond with latest beta MkIV on OSX.

Every line (system) of notes is included as its own PDF to leave the page breaking to ConTeXt. But since I have some hundred songs with each a few lines, it sums up...

I guess ConTeXt keeps every externalfigure open, since I get this error:

pages           > flushing realpage 70, userpage 70
(c_helpmesee.tex
structure       > sectioning > TitelKlein @ level 2 : 0.83 -> Help Me See
GNU LilyPond 2.16.2
ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: Too many open files: "/Applications/music/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/../share/guile/1.8/ice-9/r4rs.scm"
LILYPOND        > name='lilytemp/prd_alle-temp-lilypond-c_helpmesee.pdf'
LILYPOND        > including system no.1
LILYPOND        > including system no.2
LILYPOND        > including system no.3
LILYPOND        > including system no.4
LILYPOND        > including system no.5
) (c_hochaufdem.tex </Users/hraban/workspace/liederheft/lilytemp/prd_alle-temp-lilypond-c_helpmesee-1.pdf> </Users/hraban/workspace/liederheft/lilytemp/prd_alle-temp-lilypond-c_helpmesee-2.pdf> </Users/hraban/workspace/liederheft/lilytemp/prd_alle-temp-lilypond-c_helpmesee-3.pdf> </Users/hraban/workspace/liederheft/lilytemp/prd_alle-temp-lilypond-c_helpmesee-4.pdfI/O Error: Couldn't open file '/Users/hraban/workspace/liederheft/lilytemp/prd_alle-temp-lilypond-c_helpmesee-4.pdf': Too many open files.

!LuaTeX error: xpdf: reading PDF image failed
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

It works with songbook excerpts (some 30 songs). I don't understand if the error is really from LilyPond or from LuaTeX (I guess the former), and how I would be able to increase the number of possible files (in bash on OSX 10.8.4). So probably it's more a general Unix question than a ConTeXt one, but anyway...

ANALYSIS:
$ ulimit -n
256
$ sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles: 12288
$ sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc
kern.maxfilesperproc: 10240

SOLUTION:
$ ulimit -S -n 2048

(Properly describing a problem often helps to solve it. I send this for the records, in case someone runs into the same.)

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net